Help - Time Sensitive

jeremypeter

Apr 15, 2012
I just purchased a 2010 Cervelo S1 because it was an amazing deal. I only have a week to return it if I find that I "need" to. Having said that, here is my situation:

I currently have an SS steel road bike and was looking to get a road bike with gears (consider me new to geared biking). My main goal is to do long rides (like Gran Fondos, centuries, etc.), but I don't want to limit myself to this type of riding at this point, because I am still learning what I want/ like as a rider. I read up on the Cervelo S1 and reviews were great, even for longer rides (the sales person also said it would be suitable for this style of riding). So here's my dilemma:

The Cervelo S1 that I bought has a 10-speed Tiagra grouping for $1499

There was a BMC SR02 that I tested and had a 105 grouping for $1499

Originally I was looking at a Felt F75 with 105 grouping at the same price $1499

1. For my intended purposes, would any of these bikes be suitable? If so, which one would you recommend most based on components, price, intended use, etc.?

2. If none of these are suitable, what would you recommend purchasing based on the $1499 price range (can't go higher than that), keeping in mind that I am limited to Argon, Cervelo, Felt and Ridley and that I am new to this arena.

Thanks for your help.... really appreciate it!

J.

The point of the S1 is that many consider it to be the best stock aluminum frame anyone ever made. On the other hand, the Felt and BMC are also highly regarded, although they fall short of legendary status, probably because no pro rider ever won a grand tour stage or spring classic on one. So you have to decide if the extra grams, dated cable routing, and slightly notchier shifting of Tiagra offset the prestige and perceived superiority of the S1 frame, and the fact that it's already in your possession.

I'd say if you're happy with the ride and fit of the S1, keep it. Any way you look at it, a 10-speed S1 is a slick ride indeed.

All else being equal, the BMC the Felt would be ones to look at closely given their better component spec (105 vs. Tiagra) than the Cervelo S1. All things aren't equal, though, and that's the rub. There's no good way to advise one bike over the other two because we don't know how those bikes fit you and how their ride feels to you. I'd highly suggest getting test rides on the bikes. With test rides in the bag, your choice will likely be a lot easier. The Cervelo is certainly more aero, but the S1 was never prized for its compliant ride.....because quite a few riders thought its ride wasn't very compliant. That non-compliant ride can become a liability over the course of a long ride and lead to increased exhaustion. Of course, you could ride the S1 and find its ride is wonderful. That's why I suggest getting test rides on the bikes. What other people say about a bike really may not matter much because their perceptions may be entirely different than yours. All of the bikes you mentioned are fine bikes.

I guess I will have to test it out today. Thanks.

Can anyone comment on the price... 1500 for a 2010 S1 with a 10-speed Tiagra grouping?? I thought it was a good deal but I'm hearing it's not so great??

Go with your own personal feeling but a friend of mine sold his S1 because he said it beat him up on longer rides, there are comfortable aluminum bikes but apparently that's not one of them. Stiff and efficient yes. 30 mile road racing or gran fondo?

jeremypeter said:
I guess I will have to test it out today. Thanks.
Can anyone comment on the price... 1500 for a 2010 S1 with a 10-speed Tiagra grouping?? I thought it was a good deal but I'm hearing it's not so great??
If I were spending 1500 and I could get a bike that rode well and had 105, I'd take that over a bike that rode well and only had Tiagra.

I agree totally on what alienator said, I would go for the ones with the 105 components rather than with the tiagra..