HELP: Times Climbing l'Alpe d'huez

ilpirata said:
Guerini always has been a great climber. One has to wonder what he might have been able to do as a team captain with aims at a gc placement in a grand tour. But i believe he has always been a leutenant.
I found the website with all the supposed times for Alpe d'Huez including the never before heard of time caption photography at the bottom and top ?!?! WTF I think that OLN or someone just might have mentioned or known this... certainly Ligget of Sherwen

At any rate, the major point when you are riding the Alpe as the finishing climb in a stage race you ride it to either win the stage (Guerini) or put time into your rivals (Lance 2001). Of course Lance wanted the stage win bigtime as well. He also wanted to put on a big show. He had told Chechu during the flat stages on the way to the Alpes that year...just wait till we get to the Alpes, you are gonna see the big show. Given his showing on Joux Plane the year before the assumtion was Lance could not sustain day after day in the big mountains...how we he do Alpe d'Huez and the mountain time trial the next day. Well he showed them and then killed everyone in the Pyrenees as well.

As Andy Hampsten said after winning Alpe d;Huez, I just rode as fast as I could in the break after we hit the Alpe thinking of GC, and that ended up putting me in a position to win the stage.

wolfix said:
What is the explanation of the bizarre time of Lemond/Hinault???

They were many minutes ahead of their GC rivals on the road that day.
Hinault had started with attacking Lemond that day and many other days and were tired the both of them.
1986 the bikes were probably a bit heavier.

They didnt have to race up it, look at the films, they were just cruising up the last 5 km.
But BTW, 48 minutes is still really really fast, having ridden up the thing myself. Anything under an hour is great,

Whitetrashboy claims Armstrong uses epo....interesting....I can't actually recall when Armstrong gave that positive test....I must have missed the News Bulletin that night... Whitetrashboy you need to wake up to the fact that he IS the best ever Tour de France rider....loser.

He IS the best TDF rider ever, with some help of drugs. Look that's no problem, because 90/95% of the europeloton uses doping.........

To think armstrong rode clean is really very very naive.............

Read up on the history of cycling......all the greats have used doping......they were the greats in there times cause they were on the best programs. Merckx in the 60/70ties, hinault 80ties indurain with his doctor conconi in the 90ties and armstrong with ferrari in the 99/2005..........

Oke oke, those guys do have freak genetics and are probably one of the best.....but they needed doping in there careers.......

Don't you think it's suprising that all the topcyclists are working with either checcini or ferrari?? I wonder why.......:rolleyes:

oscar744 said:
Whitetrashboy claims Armstrong uses epo....interesting....I can't actually recall when Armstrong gave that positive test....I must have missed the News Bulletin that night... Whitetrashboy you need to wake up to the fact that he IS the best ever Tour de France rider....loser.

oscar744 said:
Ok newbe we'll go easy on you cos' you’re new..... tonight’s homework is to read the following 23 pages on the below forums and then come back to us with your more informed updated view.... in the meantime don't waste our time with these illiterate and misguided viewpoints...

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t277337-armstong-dopes-again.html

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t281427-la-engaged-******-off-training-for-comeback.html

If Armstrong and 95 percent of the peleton are using EPO or similar I still can't see what the problem is. I really can't see why guys like whiteboy continue to trash Armstrong and co.

Another case of tall poppy syndrome perhaps?

It is all history now. He came, he saw, he kicked some **** and is now retired.

The French have hated him and his team for many a year only because (a.) He is American and (B.) They have know one capable of winning a single tour let alone 7 in a row, and they committed to tarnishing his name will dodgy positive drug claims, while the same people treat Virenque, (a self confessed drug cheat) like a king!

The anti lance brigade need to face up to the fact that he was the best rider riding for the best team for 7 years.

whiteboytrash said:
Ok newbe we'll go easy on you cos' you’re new..... tonight’s homework is to read the following 23 pages on the below forums and then come back to us with your more informed updated view.... in the meantime don't waste our time with these illiterate and misguided viewpoints...

I would be interested to know what qualifies whiteboy as the self proclaimed cycling know it all. Go on whiteboy enlighten me... http://www.cyclingforums.com/t277337-armstong-dopes-again.html

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t277337-armstong-dopes-again.html

Again, I agree he is the best TDF rider ever.......and yes the french are hypocrites supporting virenque and not armstrong (do you know that 99% of the french liked armstrong!!!!!????!!!!)......doesn't mean you can't discuss armstrong and his performance!! He has 10 lawsuits going on right now, so something will come out sooner or later.......
oscar744 said:
If Armstrong and 95 percent of the peleton are using EPO or similar I still can't see what the problem is. I really can't see why guys like whiteboy continue to trash Armstrong and co.

Another case of tall poppy syndrome perhaps?

It is all history now. He came, he saw, he kicked some **** and is now retired.

The French have hated him and his team for many a year only because (a.) He is American and (B.) They have know one capable of winning a single tour let alone 7 in a row, and they committed to tarnishing his name will dodgy positive drug claims, while the same people treat Virenque, (a self confessed drug cheat) like a king!

The anti lance brigade need to face up to the fact that he was the best rider riding for the best team for 7 years.

oscar744 said:
whiteboytrash said:

I would be interested to know what qualifies whiteboy as the self proclaimed cycling know it all. Go on whiteboy enlighten me...
The knife cuts deep...

6 posts and still going strong..... address me as Sir WBT until you got another 1000 posts on the board..... then I’ll take the time to grace you with a serious response…..

whiteboytrash said:
The knife cuts deep...

6 posts and still going strong..... address me as Sir WBT until you got another 1000 posts on the board..... then I’ll take the time to grace you with a serious response…..
I find it hard to believe that someone who sits on a computer all day in his brown stained undies could post anything that could be classed as serious....

I have better things to do during my time...like actually riding a bike...making claims that this person is a drugs cheat and that person isn't based on NIL facts is a little pathetic really...

Have you even raced a bike whiteboy?

whiteboytrash said:
The knife cuts deep...

Wow you are so strong and powerful with your numerous posts WBT.
Geez, I wish I could be like you.

whiteboytrash said:
Matter in fact I have..... :) State champion in the state of Victoria Australia as a 16 year old ! Next......
Now the big question WBT is............

Did you use EPO?????

Fredrik1 said:
"As you know I am compiling all the history's times climbing L'Alpe d'huez. I managed to find most of them but some are missing. I was wondering if you could help me with Guerini's time in 1999 and Hampsten's time in 1992. Also if you find or can calculte the times of other riders that would be great too. If you know the time of the winner of a year then just by looking at the stage's results we can get the times of the others.
Thank you very much."

Between 1994 and 1997 the climb was for some reason timed from 14.5km from the finish. Pantanis time from the corner which makes the start of the climb was neither 37.35 or 36.55 in 1997, but actually 36.42, I´ve clocked the time myself. In 1994 Pantani also was faster than reported, in 37.15. I don´t know about his 95 performance but 36.50 sounds much more likely than 38.04.

Armstrongs time in 2001 from that same corner was 38.01 as reported. Intresting that Ullrich actually was faster in 1997 with 37.29, even faster than Lance was in 2004 in the time trial.

Another great perfomance I think by Mayo (39.06) if considering the slow tempo in the middle sections of the climb and the heat.

As I´ve climbed it myself a few times I´ve noticed that the wind in fact can have a great impact on the time. Especially a few kilometers from the finish were the terrain opens up and the road goes straight up

Guerinis time by the way was 41.52

Yes,
http://grimpee.alpe.9online.fr/references.html

Reading the revised Pantani times for 1994,95,97 makes it more reasonable to me. It never made sense that he went from the bottom in 1995 and was supposed to have been slower than in 1997 when he attacked later and took his time dropping Ullrich, et al.

whiteboytrash said:
Matter in fact I have..... :) State champion in the state of Victoria Australia as a 16 year old ! Next......
...hmmm…. right......as I asked earlier... have you ever raced a bike white boy? What is really funny is how you called the other dude a sheep shagger when you come from Australia yourself! Bit like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it?

8 posts down........992 to go and Ill be like whiteboy!!!!

I see lance has been training full on....I wonder if he will be rolled out for victory number 8......wouldn't that upset a few...I don't think he will though I think he is to busy grooming George and Popo for the job.