Help to choose between Scott Speedster and Trek SL 100

Alex Orana

Jan 9, 2013
Hello,
Which one would you choose: Scott Speedster or Trek SL 100? Which one would suit better for commuting?
Both are priced the same around 500 USD.
Thanks.

could you please post the link to the Trek bike and specify what kind of Scott Speedster you are looking for (there are 5 choices: S20 - S30, etc)

Trek: http://www.rigabike.lv/data/img/20110910184507023118.jpg
Scott: http://www.rigabike.lv/data/img/20110910172345414607.jpg
There's no info about full model name.
Maybe you can identify it by pictures?

ok from those two i prefer the Trek, the fork has more rake and thats good for small size frames, it has standard laced wheels which is good for maintenance, and the drivetrain looks better than the Scott, in both cases the handlebars are poorly set, in one to low and in the other to high, but that is easy to adjust,

Reactions: Alex Orana
Thanks a lot!
Another question - what would be you advice for saddle if I don't want to wear padded lycra shorts, but want to feel comfortable?

that goes against logical thinking, the most confortable is a road saddle with little gel or pad, in other words a hard surface saddle, the reason is because your sit bones make contact with the saddle so it is a hard hard combination, if you choose a too soft saddle you will start hurting your skin and getting blisters here and there, this is independant of the shorts you decide to wear,

What about leather Brooks saddles? Would it be too ridiculous to fit it on that Trek? Is it true that leather saddle would mold with time to fit my bones? :)

Originally Posted by Alex Orana .

What about leather Brooks saddles? Would it be too ridiculous to fit it on that Trek? Is it true that leather saddle would mold with time to fit my bones? :)
Some folks swear by Brooks. I tried on once but it didn't work for me. I am from the school that like shoes, a saddle should be somewhat comfy from the get-go, regardless of any "breaking in". Since the saddle is critical to ones comfort on the bike there would be no ridiculousness if it worked for you. It would be a bit of an anathema on a superlight CF frame, but even then it's still really a personal preference thing.

Originally Posted by vspa .

ok from those two i prefer the Trek, the fork has more rake and thats good for small size frames, it has standard laced wheels which is good for maintenance, and the drivetrain looks better than the Scott,
Me too. For the same reasons, especially the wheels part. But my other reasons have little to do with commuting, and more to do with looking at.