Help to decide on tourer (Galaxy v Sardar)

Ed

Guest
It's time for me to buy a new cycle after a lapse of almost 15yrs
without. The kind of cycling I want to do would tend to indicate that a
tourer would be the best kind of cycle for my purposes.

From searching on the web/ngs there are 2 Dawes tourers which appeal.
These are the Galaxy (or maybe even the Super Galaxy) and the Sardar.
But these two bikes are obviously quite different; the Galaxy seems to
be a traditional style tourer whilst the Sardar uses MTB features.

I don't have any decent bike shops in the region where I can discuss, so
would really welcome advise and any experience with these two bikes?
Can both design types really serve touring requirements or are there
really some fundamental differences as to the intended purposes of the
Galaxy and Sardar.

Grateful thanks in advance,
Ed

Ed wrote:

> From searching on the web/ngs there are 2 Dawes tourers which appeal.
> These are the Galaxy (or maybe even the Super Galaxy) and the Sardar.
> But these two bikes are obviously quite different; the Galaxy seems to
> be a traditional style tourer whilst the Sardar uses MTB features.

Specifically 26" wheels and V brakes. IMHO both of which are welcome
features. Though there's no reason that properly set up cantis
shouldn't be just as good as Vs the fact is it's easier to source spares
for Vs these days, which could be really handy if you're touring well
away from anywhere with canti bits handy and something goes wrong.
26" wheels are stronger than 700c which makes sense if you're carrying
heavy stuff about. You get slightly more rolling resistance, but not so
much you'd notice. You also get a slightly wider selection of (easily
available) tyres these days for 26".

The Galaxy is a tried and tested classic, and for that reason it's still
a ready seller. People /know/ it will work, but also Dawes tend to
leave it largely alone. The new Super and Ultra Galaxies have now
followed the Sardar to compact frames which give easier standover height.

Arguments favouring the Galaxy are, IMHO, primarily aesthetic and
nostalgic. Lessons from recent years are that compact frames work, V
brakes work and 26" wheels work, and will work on a tourer as well as on
a MTB for the same reasons. Plus the Sardar is a little cheaper!

But if you really want a truly sublime touring bike do what I did and
get one of these... http://kinetics.org.uk/html/streetmachine.shtml
I aspired to a Galaxy for years, but can't see myself spending that sort
of money on an upright tourer any more when there's far more comfort and
better load carrying to be had going recumbent.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Peter Clinch:
>Arguments favouring the Galaxy are, IMHO, primarily aesthetic an
>nostalgic

I think there are one or two other key differences you haven't mentione
- eg the Galaxy has STI shifters (Sora), while the Sardar has bar-ends
And according to the Dawes website, the Galaxy has an aluminium frame
though I'm not sure that's actually true. The Sardar has a steel frame
so it will probably be a bit heavier but will give a more comfortabl
ride and be more durable in the long run

>Plus the Sardar is a little cheaper

That's always worth bearing in mind

-

davek wrote:

> I think there are one or two other key differences you haven't mentioned
> - eg the Galaxy has STI shifters (Sora), while the Sardar has bar-ends.

At least in pervious years STI has been an option on the Sardar as a
de-luxe model, though for reliability in out of the way spots I'd
actually prefer bar ends.

> And according to the Dawes website, the Galaxy has an aluminium frame,
> though I'm not sure that's actually true.

I think they've put the Horizon details over the Galaxy by mistake.
Check out the full specs and that looks more like the right story.

Pete.