Help: trimming front der. with D-A STI

Doug Van Cleve

Guest
Howdy folks.

I know I once saw a Shimano article on setting up the front shifting to
allow trimming up and down but now I can't find it. Mine trims up okay
(ie. moves the front derailleur cage out in small increments) but will
only clunk down/in in big full gear jumps. I think once by accident I
fiddled around and it would trim up or down, but I don't know how to
get it back. My levers are D-A 7700 (late model 9S) that I got barely
used. They clearly haven't been used much, crashed or abused so I
don't think anything is broken or worn out. Can any of you help?

Thanks, Doug

On 10 Jun 2006 12:16:39 -0700, "Doug Van Cleve" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Howdy folks.
>
>I know I once saw a Shimano article on setting up the front shifting to
>allow trimming up and down but now I can't find it. Mine trims up okay
>(ie. moves the front derailleur cage out in small increments) but will
>only clunk down/in in big full gear jumps. I think once by accident I
>fiddled around and it would trim up or down, but I don't know how to
>get it back. My levers are D-A 7700 (late model 9S) that I got barely
>used. They clearly haven't been used much, crashed or abused so I
>don't think anything is broken or worn out. Can any of you help?
>
>Thanks, Doug

Dear Doug,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Doug Van Cleve wrote:
> Howdy folks.
>
> I know I once saw a Shimano article on setting up the front shifting to
> allow trimming up and down but now I can't find it. Mine trims up okay
> (ie. moves the front derailleur cage out in small increments) but will
> only clunk down/in in big full gear jumps. I think once by accident I
> fiddled around and it would trim up or down, but I don't know how to
> get it back. My levers are D-A 7700 (late model 9S) that I got barely
> used. They clearly haven't been used much, crashed or abused so I
> don't think anything is broken or worn out. Can any of you help?
>
> Thanks, Doug

Make sure the inner wire and housing are clean, clean under the BB
guide and then allow just a wee bit of slack in the left shifter inner
wire when the FD is the farthest to the left..The 'trim' is often
sometimes hard to 'find' in these levers. Maybe some STI repiar
kit-flush with spary lube, as well, even tho they are 'new'.