Help us design the wrapper for the military's energy bar

mmcmark

Mar 11, 2004
We're launching an energy bar that was created by the military (we have the license from the Army). We want it to appeal to triathletes and bicyclists, and would appreciate help in picking a wrapper design. If you have a sec, check out this link and let us know which design you prefer:
http://www.hooahbar.com/designs_t.html

Thanks for your time.

-Mark

Hey, thanks to those of you who've given us some feedback.

And jstraw, I worried when posting this that some would think it was spam, but we're honestly just a coupla guys trying to launch a bar and see what cyclists and triathletes think. Your response actually encourages me that the people here are real cyclists who care about their sport.

-Mark

I commented and voted. But there doesn't seem to be any space to give you any extra feedback.

Do you have an email address as I have a few ideas that may work.

Originally posted by mmcmark
We're launching an energy bar that was created by the military (we have the license from the Army). We want it to appeal to triathletes and bicyclists, and would appreciate help in picking a wrapper design. If you have a sec, check out this link and let us know which design you prefer:

Thanks for your time.

-Mark

humm, can we have a bar or 2 to test first as basically the wrapper goes into a poor ole spectators face as we guzzle it! How can we go for the wrapper design when we arn't concentrating on it at all yet needing to open it easily?

I have to say that I found the entire marketing scheme/approach to be EXTREMELY un-appealling! If I saw anything on a store shelf touting a relationship with any military (especially the US), I would not buy it. While I am sure that there is no direct relationship between the company and the military, I would not give my hard earned cash to any organization that panders to the consumer and that, in my humble opinion, is exactly what you are doing.

As an American, I am acutely aware of the ultra-nationalism (which most incorrectly believe is patriotism) that is running rapant right now in the US - "My country right wrong!" - and it is sickening!

While I am sure that you will find a market for your products, I believe that you are limiting it greatly. I hope that you are happy with US sales because I find hard to believe that many outside the US are going to be interested in a pro-American/pro-US Army product - given our uni-lateral actions as of late.

Your response actually encourages me that the people here are real cyclists who care about their sport.

-Mark

Why not a bar for GNOMES?
Gnomes are tough. They have endured decades of gardening oppression.

Free the gnomes!

I don't find it appealling either. Are we supposed to get excited because it's "Soldier Fuel"??? Ummm... We're not Soldiers! I get the impression that the whole idea of the campaign is; "eat what the macho, tough soldiers of the US Military eat and you can be macho and tough just like them"! LOL! I don't think it will appeal to most athletes.

From my experience, most athletes are more concerned with the scientific nutritional data and how the product will help their performance.

Just my humble opinion.

Gee I hope the soldier bar isn't thinly disguised spam.I don't like any spam! Spam , Spam spam spam spam, spam spam spam spam, Spammity spam horrible spam.

To the original poster:

Is your bar this??
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10347.html

If so, I skimmed this article with interest a few weeks ago. I'd be happy to give input, but genuinely would like to try the product first.

If your product isn't what's referenced in this article, is there a comparable article that does (perhaps with ingredients and nutritional info, too)??

...and as for your marketing approach, I agree with those who have expressed their disdain and dislike; however, if--for some reason--you are married to this tack, you could consider simultaneously marketing the same product in a totally separate way, perhaps a way that gives you broader appeal to more of a recreational athlete base....

Neil

Thanks to everyone for their replies! And to those of you who think it's spam, I already addressed this issue above. If you still think it's spam, then don't show up.

meehs: a good opinion. Soldier Fuel may not properly convey for whom the product is intended. We're still thinking about this one...

neil0502: this bar is not the product referenced in that article. The bar is intended for those people who are serious about their nutrition. Triathletes (of which I am one) don't want a letdown in a key race, but more importantly, a soldier doesn't want a letdown in the field. These bars have been tested in combat, so I think any athlete would be able to trust them. Our marketing is intended to show pride in the bar's heritage, without freaking civilians out. Thanks for your comments!

juneBug: Gnomes. Hilarious.

glyde: sorry you feel that way. The bar is the product of the fine research labs of the U.S. military, guys I've met, good guys who care about the safety and health of the soldiers in the field. And there are a lot of people like me who are rightly proud of soldiers and the military, whether you disagree with the politicians or not.

-Mark

We're launching an energy bar that was created by the military

http://www.biketechreview.com/projectredshoe.htm
I wonder if the military is into these shoes.

according to this company, they make you faster and promote weight loss.

though I suppose ANY shoe can do that if you USE it . haha.

wow. this bar.

You might be better off with ''Video Game'' kinda wrappers. Copy the Clancy Game style
The kiddies will eat it while they sit and play Nintendo.

Originally posted by mmcmark We're launching an energy bar that was created by the military (we have the license from the Army). We want it to appeal to triathletes and bicyclists, and would appreciate help in picking a wrapper design. If you have a sec, check out this link and let us know which design you prefer:

Thanks for your time.

-Mark

Hi Mark,
It nice to see a company doing there homework sooner then later on a product in this category.

Thought I would qualify my statements to follow by mentioning my background. I work in the design industry, specifically as a senior art director for an ad agency. I handle the creative for several multi-million dollar national brands.

To get started, a few questions;
1) Is this going to be marketed to a military demographic? I assume by the name yes, but ya never know. If it is intended to have a broader appeal, the name could come up short on the relevance scale and might present marketing/brand problems down the road if its meant to be marketed first to military, and then later to civilians.

2) Who will share the shelves with you and what makes your product say "Pay attention soldier! Im different! "? I don't know your market well, but if the other bars look and say the same thing, you may have a tough time establishing a point of differentiation for consumers.

Ok, enough q's. After looking at the designs, some of them had some good things going for them and overall you have a good start.

I wonder if instead of designing with a few different aesthetics in mind, you approached the project from a conceptual standpoint. You might find some greener pastures for your product to play in. Its not that the designs fall short, its just that they might be leaving some money on the table in the appeal end of the spectrum and a solid concept (ad speak for relevant idea) may create a nice vehicle to embody the products appeal.

Once you have a proven concept, experimenting with different executions can be greatly simplified and it makes the process a bit more fun. Also, remember that each genre of design has different connotations and can be leveraged to drive a different interpretation of the product.

Hope my spray helps.

Best regards,

Nicholas

Thanks for your time.

-Mark

Hope to see them soon. Thanks...