Help us pick a Woman's first road bike

I just had a look at the Trek you mentioned. The biggest problem you have is your short stature. At 5' - I can identify with you. Unfortunately most bike manufacturers do not cater for us. I am not sure whether or not the Trek in a size 13 will fit you as I am not familiar with Treks. If it does, I would be inclined to see if I could get some tires which are more slick as the mtb tires will make it hard going. If you wanted a road bike, Merida and Giant both make one in your size, you would have to check this year's availability. I urge you not to rush into anything without getting some good advice, not necessarily your local bike shop as more often not they try to sell you a bike too big.

Thanks to Jackie for the PM.

At 4' 8" I would suggest a bike with 24" wheels. The Apollo Panther will fit you well and with Slicks (24" from BiCorp) and up the gearing with a Shimano 11-28 7 speed spin on cassette it will be quite fast. ;)
http://www.apollobikes.com/

Thanks Jackie and George for your advice and encouragement. This is my first post, but I have read through numerous other threads where you have both contributed. Thanks heaps for the encouraging and informative posts. (If I could gush my thanks without reading like an idiot, I would. :eek: )

I was shown the Giant OCR3W and geez! (as an indication of how new I am to riding) - I never knew that bikes could feel so ridiculously light. I live on the second floor of a no-elevator apartment block, so this was a bonus to find out.

The bike shop suggested the Giant OCR3W XXS with flat bars as it would have been too much of a stretch with the bars on the bike currently, not to mention probably dangerous because I could not comfortably reach the brakes.

This is the first road bike that I have been fitted on. I did not take it for a test ride, mainly because it felt so fragile and so different to the type of bikes that I have ridden in the past (I think the last one may have been a BMX as a kid! That's how long it has been). Quite honestly, the bike kinda scared me... (silly, huh?)

Now that I have had a taste of a road bike that could fit me, I feel that I have to think more about the type of bike I want. Originally, I was thinking I would just take anything that fit. I really want to aim for the 200km bike ride (it's the Around the Bay in a Day ride in Melbourne, Victoria) and I think a road bike will make it more achievable for me.

I will test ride a few more bikes, including the Apollo Panther, to see where my comfort level sits. I do wonder if a road bike is "too much" bike for me or whether I can "grow" into it. (I should probably change my userid to "scaredycat"...)

The OCR3W XXS with 650c wheels is a good choice. You don't have to go "Flat Bars", the LBS can supply and fit Cyclocross Brake Levers to the top (flat) part of the existing bars.

However if they do fit Flat Bars and Rapid Fire Shifters, make sure the stem is at least 90mm long or the balance of the bike will be upset, not enough weight over the front wheel with a light rider.

Jackie's Road Bike is a 47cm Felt F100, it has 650c wheels and the cyclocross brake levers and a longer (100mm) adjustable stem. ;) (see Pix below)

This is Little Jackie on George's computer. (My son's computer is being temperamental!)

I think that the bike shop's suggestion (as long as they are sure that the bike will fit you with correct standover and that the top tube is not too long- George thinks it should be OK) is great. I know that I could not have ridden drop bars for at least 12-18 months after getting a bike.

Suggest to the bike shop, some cheap alloy flat bars ($15) and some Shimano EF-35 or EF-50 shifter/brake lever/cable sets ($55-65) and some soft foam grips ($8).

Keep all the old parts as a unit, shifters, bars and cables - you can then convert back when you are more confident! You may want to fit cyclocross brake levers at that stage.