Help valuing a second hand carbon bianchi (2005)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by gavwhyte778, Jul 30, 2012.

1. gavwhyte778

gavwhyte778 New Member

Hi folks,

My friend is selling a 2005 anniversary carbon 928. It looks to be in mint condition.

New frame can be seen here: http://www.bikyle.com/BianchiSaleOld.asp - (53cm 928 Carbon Anniversary frameset)

It comes with:
    Dura Ace group set, with FSA carbon crankset & FSA finishing kit
    Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels

How much would you expect to pay for this?

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Gav

Tags:

2. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Between the group (if 7800) and the wheels one could expect to pay $1000+ for the combo used. Then it comes down to how much you are willing to pay for the frame. Personally I wouldn't go much past 2G if I were interested in the bike, maybe $2500 if I really wanted the bike. The 928 was only recently discontinued if that makes a difference - last year or the year before. I'm not a dealer and don't have any experience with that frame, but that's my #.

PS. IMO the FSA crank and finishing kit (whatever that is) only reduce the value.

3. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

The shop where I work sold a lot of these 928s and we never had one come back on warranty. It's a pretty typical competition type frame for the period. Definitely not plush, but the newer bikes are stiffer at the bottom bracket and front end. $1500-2000, depending on condition, would be a fair range.

Mavic cassette bodies are the cause for a lot of complaining about Mavic wheels. They wear out, causing wobbling, sloppy shifting, noise, and bad freewheeling, and then they have to be replaced, $105 plus labor. Annual (or so) servicing extends life considerably. Check this one's condition before making an offer.

4. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Mavic: "No really. It's much better to use a plastic bushing instead of cartridge bearing in the free hub. Really, it is. Honest." I can live with their oddball naming (Ksyrium......really?), but the plastic bushing......not so much.

6. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Famous last words: "They came with the bike." I'd never go out and buy a pair of Ksyriums, but since they're on the bike I might as well be using them. And the rest of the wheel is remarkably solid for a set that weighs under 1500 grams. Ride what ya brung.

7. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

You should compare the price of this bike to a new bike you would buy.

I would buy a new bike in the $2000-2500 range. So I would not pay more than $1500 for a used bike.

But if the guy was a friend and I could use the bike, I would pay what he asked.