Help valuing a second hand carbon bianchi (2005)

gavwhyte778

Jul 30, 2012
Hi folks,

My friend is selling a 2005 anniversary carbon 928. It looks to be in mint condition.

New frame can be seen here: http://www.bikyle.com/BianchiSaleOld.asp - (53cm 928 Carbon Anniversary frameset)

It comes with:
Dura Ace group set, with FSA carbon crankset & FSA finishing kit
Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels

How much would you expect to pay for this?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
Gav

Between the group (if 7800) and the wheels one could expect to pay $1000+ for the combo used. Then it comes down to how much you are willing to pay for the frame. Personally I wouldn't go much past 2G if I were interested in the bike, maybe $2500 if I really wanted the bike. The 928 was only recently discontinued if that makes a difference - last year or the year before. I'm not a dealer and don't have any experience with that frame, but that's my #.

PS. IMO the FSA crank and finishing kit (whatever that is) only reduce the value.

The shop where I work sold a lot of these 928s and we never had one come back on warranty. It's a pretty typical competition type frame for the period. Definitely not plush, but the newer bikes are stiffer at the bottom bracket and front end. $1500-2000, depending on condition, would be a fair range.

Mavic cassette bodies are the cause for a lot of complaining about Mavic wheels. They wear out, causing wobbling, sloppy shifting, noise, and bad freewheeling, and then they have to be replaced, $105 plus labor. Annual (or so) servicing extends life considerably. Check this one's condition before making an offer.

oldbobcat said:
Mavic cassette bodies are the cause for a lot of complaining about Mavic wheels. They wear out, causing wobbling, sloppy shifting, noise, and bad freewheeling, and then they have to be replaced, $105 plus labor. Annual (or so) servicing extends life considerably. Check this one's condition before making an offer.
Mavic: "No really. It's much better to use a plastic bushing instead of cartridge bearing in the free hub. Really, it is. Honest." I can live with their oddball naming (Ksyrium......really?), but the plastic bushing......not so much.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I can live with their oddball naming (Ksyrium......really?), but the plastic bushing......not so much.
Famous last words: "They came with the bike." I'd never go out and buy a pair of Ksyriums, but since they're on the bike I might as well be using them. And the rest of the wheel is remarkably solid for a set that weighs under 1500 grams. Ride what ya brung.

You should compare the price of this bike to a new bike you would buy.

I would buy a new bike in the $2000-2500 range. So I would not pay more than $1500 for a used bike.

But if the guy was a friend and I could use the bike, I would pay what he asked.