Help: Valve extenders

klam

Dec 11, 2003
I recently purchased some Vittoria valve extenders online. The intent is to use them on my deep dish tubular wheels or regular tubes on clinchers. I didn't realize that the tubulars or tubes that are used need to be the ones that have removable valve stem cores. Is this the case, or am I missing something.

Any chance of getting around this? Or did I just order the wrong part.

I didn't even realized that they made tubes with replacable stem valves....errgh

klam said:
I recently purchased some Vittoria valve extenders online. The intent is to use them on my deep dish tubular wheels or regular tubes on clinchers. I didn't realize that the tubulars or tubes that are used need to be the ones that have removable valve stem cores. Is this the case, or am I missing something.

Any chance of getting around this? Or did I just order the wrong part.

I didn't even realized that they made tubes with replacable stem valves....errgh
- okay.

- i also just got into these deep-profile type wheels (DAce C50 Tubulars).

- how it works it this :

- if your tyre's valve has a removable valve-core (you can tell by the flats
machined onto the threaded end which allows you to plier them off) then
you can remove the core , screw on the extender and then screw the core
into the extender .. walla.

- if your tyre's valve core is not-removable (mostly low-end tubulars) , then
you can still use the same extender , but the extender will go over the tyre's
valve with the lock-screw loosened. ie , you cannot tighten the lock-screw
anymore. But when you pump up the tyre , the pressure will automatically
seal the valve without need the lock-screw to be tightened (don't worry,
it works).

- cheers.

pistole said:
- if your tyre's valve core is not-removable (mostly low-end tubulars) , then
you can still use the same extender , but the extender will go over the tyre's
valve with the lock-screw loosened. ie , you cannot tighten the lock-screw
anymore. But when you pump up the tyre , the pressure will automatically
seal the valve without need the lock-screw to be tightened (don't worry,
it works).

It simply doesn't work. At least not with the Vittoria extenders. With out the need of at least 2 people(one holding the extender over the valve stem, the other pumping), there is no way to secure the extenders onto the stem without it shooting off as you attempt to pump it up. I ended up shipping them back to the online store..hopefullly I'll see a refund. Worse case I'm out 11 US.

Instead I got the top peak extender that you can use on tubulars without removable cores. I should have gotten this in the first place, but thought all extenders were the same. This extender just screws directly over the existing stem valve and away you go...oh well, lesson learnt.

Thanks for the replies.

- it works , for me at least.

- and I have tyres with removable and non-removable valve cores.

pistole said:
- it works , for me at least.

- and I have tyres with removable and non-removable valve cores.

There are a number of companies that make valve extenders. Some replace the existing presta valve and some are made to screw over a non-removeable valve and some do both.

One that I "really" like are the black Zipp valve extenders. They thread over the existing presta valve and have an open neck design at the top that fit air pumps really well and they tend to rattle less than others against the fairing of deep dish carbon wheels.

As another poster has said, some extenders screw onto the core of the valve, and other extenders replace the removable core of the valve, with that core then screwing into the extender. Beware the first type, as the nut on the hidden core tightens itself up over time and you are then unable to either reinflate or deflate the tube without removing the extender. In addition, you must also use a pump with integrated pressure gauge, as you cannot use a stand-alone gauge with a hidden core.