HELP! Vintage Colnago with Campagnolo groupset OR Brand new Orbea Aqua

colum81

Jun 30, 2013
Hi there,

I'm just starting out with road bikes and have my first dilemma! There's a guy who lives round the corner from me - seems very knowledgeable and friendly - who restores vintage bikes. There's also a couple of decent bike shops on my road. I'm going to try out 2 bikes today - a new Orbea Aqua, and a 1970's Colnago with Campagnolo parts, which is in near mint condition. Both are around £600 ($900). I LOVE the vintage bike, just because it's so cool...but am i thinking too much with my heart and not my head??

I want this bike for commuting mainly (10 miles a day) but will also use it for fitness at weekends. I'm 5'11" so am told a 54" frame is right for me.

Please help! I've read some threads already on this site and it sure looks like the right place to come to :)

thanks,

Colum

Originally Posted by colum81 .

but am i thinking too much with my heart and not my head??

Half of cycling is about heart, the other half is about the legs. If they both fit you well and are mechanically sound they are each suitable choices.

The thing I would be concerned about is if the Colnago has tubular tires. They may not be the best choice for the neophyte rider.

Also, and not that it should matter, there is not a shot in hell anyone is going to stop and ask about your Orbea, although it probably a fine bike.The Colnago on the other hand might have you sick of talking to curious strangers by the end of the week.

There are so many things right AND wrong about a 70s vintage Colnago ...

• regardless, YOU probably want a bike whose frame has a 56cm top tube + about a 100mm stem ...
  • I am 5'9" tall, and I think that a 54cm (c-t) Colnago would be too small for you ...
    if the 54cm is measured c-c, then it will be a good fit for you

IF your commute is relatively flat & will require little-or-no shifting, then the Colnago MAY be "okay" if it has clinchers ...

Otherwise, you will want to acquire a second wheelset which uses clinchers ...

AND, if you are inclined toward the Colnago THEN you really should ask the guy if he can respace the frame to 130mm & also align the derailleur hanger so that you can use the bike with any 130mm (O.L.D. / over locknut distance) wheelset which is the current norm for a Road bike.

BTW. £600 is a pretty good price for most used 70s/80s vintage Colnago bikes which are in good condition (IMO).

Originally Posted by alfeng .

AND, if you are inclined toward the Colnago THEN you really should ask the guy if he can respace the frame to 130mm & also align the derailleur hanger so that you can use the bike with any 130mm (O.L.D. / over locknut distance) wheelset which is the current norm for a Road bike.
That's a good point to note. I wasn't even thinking about the old 126mm spacing really limiting compatibility for replacing parts.

I'm also 5'9" and usually run a 54cm but I need a shorter 90mm stem. It's possible a 54 could work w/OP, depending on how his physical proportions are laid out.

if you are really set on the Colnago, I would ask to take it to a bike shop and have a neutral party confirm to be sure.