Help w/ Burning Quads While Biking

jorgesuperdad

Jun 1, 2007
Hi - I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice on how to prevent or reduce the burn I feel in my quads while biking. This occurs mostly while biking up hill.

If someone could recommend a training technique or nutritional supplement that would help with this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Welcome to the unpleasant side of biking, unless you are a masochist:D ! The burning that you are feeling is a build up of lactic acid in your muscles. This is a by-product of your muscles using glycogen for fuel. The lactic acid is removed though the bloodstream, with varying degrees of efficiency. As you become more physically fit as it pertains to cycling, the body becomes more efficient at removing the increased lactic acid that is produced when you ride. The only way to become more physically fit is to train through intervals and endurance building rides. You might try asking for advice in the "Training" section of the Forum for training tips.

There is nothing nutritionally that you can do for this. Do bear in mind that you will need to be sensible nutritionally anyway, even if you didn't ride. Keep yourself well hydrated while riding and carry fruit or energy bars when you ride so that you don't hit the wall, i.e become glycogen depleted. Bananas are exceptionally good for this as they contain a lot of potassium to prevent cramping as well as a lot of good carbs.

Unfortunately you will probably still experience burning on hills, but not as intense after you get in shape.