HELP w/ KESTREL 4000 Rebuild Project

CJ Smith

Sep 11, 2006
I’m CJ (39/Single Male/Palm Harbor, FL.) I'm a mariner by trade & a pro cyclist in my mind. Now if I could just get Phil Liggett, Paul Sherwin, Al Trautwig and Bob “TOUR DAYFRANCE” Roll to stop announcing my name as I ride, especially since I am the only one that can hear it, I would be ok!

On the serious side, I have been enjoying a great rebuild project. It is a 1989 Kestrel 4000 with Gray Graphics. My restoration goal is to have the completed bike EXACTLY as it was when it rolled out of B&L Bike & Sport in
Kailua-KonaHawaii on May 9, 1989.

Well that should tell you a bit of what type of person I am, but why would I want to rebuild this bike?

Well, that part is simple. It was built by B&L Bike & Sport owner & Ironman Bike Director, Nick Rott. In August of 1994 Nick was killed while on a training ride on the Big Island of Hawaii. Sadly, I didn't find out until November of '94 on account of having moved back to the mainland
USA. He & I were such friends that upon finding out about his death I immediately retired the bike. More than 10 years later I can admit that there isn't a day that goes by that somehow I don't think about him or use something that he sold me. From Bike Cases to Wheel Safes; from nearly ALL of my shop tools to just looking at the framed photos around my workshop… In the past 20 years I have owned two other Kestrel bikes, all because of Nick having “sold” me that first one. Heck, even some of my back up bikes were even purchased from his shop. I also credit Nick with my age group success. I know my medals & trophies wouldn’t be there if it weren’t for him. If this isn’t clear enough, well… just watch “It’s a Wonderful Life” a few times to better understand what I am trying to convey.

Back to the rebuild: For the past 8 years I have been rebuilding my bike. Yes, EIGHT YEARS. My job has me overseas on ships for about 6 months a year & the other half I juggle home, family, friends, training, road trips, hiking, weekend Florida theme park getaways, sleep & my bike project... Which I call:
“PROJECT: NICK or the NICK BIKE”.

Well, before I cue up a list of my “HAVES” and my “NEEDS”I would like to extend sincere thanks to all the Sellers on Ebay (some for parts, some for heartfelt condolences & some just the advice & well wishes) & Vecchio's Bicicletteria of Boulder, CO for all their help.

Perhaps after reading my parts list (ê BELOW ê) someone out there could help me out a bit more. I’d be forever grateful.

GREEN LETTERING - Already HAVE!

BLUE LETTERING - NEED: Easy to get.

RED LETTERING (with the :mad: icons) NEED: TOUGH TO FIND!

ITEM: Make/Model - PART STATUS

Frame: Kestrel 4000, Imron White, Gray Graphics - HAVE

Fork: Tange Aluminum; White (REPLACING ORIGINAL WITH CARBON FORK) - NEED

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo White w/ Steel Rails - HAVE

Seat Post: Dura Ace - HAVE

Seat Binder Bolt: Kestrel (Stock) - HAVE

Stem: Specialized or TTT - NEED

Handlebar: Modolo Anatomical - NEED

Brake Levers: Shimano Santé - HAVE

Brake Calipers: Shimano Santé - HAVE

Bar Tape: Cinelli, White - NEED

Headset: Shimano Santé 1” - :mad: NEED :mad:

Hubs: Front & Rear Shimano Santé - 32 hole - HAVE

Front Rim: Mavic Open 4CD – 32 hole - NEED

Rear Rim: Mavic Open 4CD – 32 hole - HAVE

Tires: Avocet FasGrip K-20 - HAVE

Front Spokes: Hoshi: Bladed, Size - 280mm, Radially laced - :mad: NEED :mad:

Rear Spokes: Round, Three cross - NEED

Rim Strips: Specialized, Red - NEED

Bottom Bracket: Shimano Santé - HAVE

Cranks: Shimano Santé, 170mm - :mad: NEED:mad:

Chainrings: Biopace 52; 42 - NEED

Pedals: Look: Black/White P-166 (unsure of model #) - :mad: NEED :mad:

Front Derailleur: Shimano Santé - HAVE

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Santé - HAVE

Chain: Shimano - NEED

Waterbottle/Cage: Campy “D” Shaped bottle - HAVE

Computer: Avocet 30 (Blue w/ blue buttons) - NEED

ALL parts sought are only purchased if they are found to be in MINT to NEAR MINT condition.

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY POSTING.

Take care & be safe! :cool:

Sincerely,
CJ - Palm Harbor, FL

That is a great project.

I have a Specialized Satin silver anodized 120-130mm/26.0 stem (I have to measure to be sure) that is in quite good condition. There is some tarnishing of the finish on the quill (as might be expected), but otherwise it is pretty good for its age. If you are interested, I can probably take a picture and email it to you in the next day or two.

Also an Avocet computer (30 I think) in yellow with gray buttons (not really your color), but it works and I have the front wheel mounting hardware.

Most of the parts I seek are to be mint - never mounted/ridden/used on a bike (The only exception would be if, we'll say the cranks - had a scratch on the 'frameside' of the crankarm and I could easily touch it up). I desire the parts to still be the original box if possible with all original paper work. Nearly all of the parts I have thus far have been purchased and still are in this state. Nothing has been assembled yet.

The Sante brake calipers aren't in a box, nor do they have the paperwork, but they are FLAWLESS (From an ebay seller in Singapore) and I couldn't turn them down for the price I paid.

The final Mavic Rim has been ordered but just not delivered yet.

The Avocet Computer has already been found via Craig @ Avocet. He has one that was built into a display (never mounted to a bike) in the Blue with Blue buttons as desired.

Specialized will be recreating the original shop (now closed) waterbottle design.

Last update: CyclArt will be doing the paint and creating decals with the original shop name, builders of the bike and the date of my first ride. Probably next spring I will send it in to them.

Thanks for the option of the Specialized stem, but after speaking with Specialized today about an Allez Epic (carbon tube/alum. lugs) I bought in 1990, I came to the conclusion that the specialized stem came with that bike and not the Kestrel. The stem that I used was definitely a Nitto (I wrongfully listed it as a "Specialized" or "TTT")

John M said:
That is a great project.

I have a Specialized Satin silver anodized 120-130mm/26.0 stem (I have to measure to be sure) that is in quite good condition. There is some tarnishing of the finish on the quill (as might be expected), but otherwise it is pretty good for its age. If you are interested, I can probably take a picture and email it to you in the next day or two.

Also an Avocet computer (30 I think) in yellow with gray buttons (not really your color), but it works and I have the front wheel mounting hardware.

UPDATE: OCTOBER 02, 2006

I HAVE REMOVED ALL ITEMS I ALREADY HAVE FROM THIS LISTING TO MAKE IT EASY TO FOLLOW

BLUE LETTERING - NEED: Easy to get.

RED LETTERING (with the :mad: icons) NEED: TOUGH TO FIND!

ITEM: Make/Model - PART STATUS

Fork: Tange Aluminum; White (REPLACING ORIGINAL WITH CARBON FORK) - NEED

Stem: Specialized or TTT - NEED

Handlebar: Modolo Anatomical - NEED

Bar Tape: Cinelli, White - NEED

Front Rim: Mavic Open 4CD – 32 hole - NEED

Front Spokes: Hoshi: Bladed, Size - 280mm, Radially laced - NEED

Rear Spokes: Round, Three cross - NEED

Rim Strips: Specialized, Red - NEED

Chain: Shimano - NEED

Computer: Avocet 30 (Blue w/ blue buttons) - NEED
:D Ordering this part on October 2, 2006 :D

Headset:
Shimano Santé 1” - :mad: NEED :mad:
Truthfully, I can use the original Sante headset that I own, but the gray/silver plastic headset nut cover that has the SANTE logo on it is broken (still in one piece though). I would only want to purchase the entire headset only for that plastic ring... Or if you have the ring and want to offer to me for, let's say, 15-20 bucks plus shipping, I would be all over that idea. Again it has to be in MINT condition.

Pedals: Look: RED (hinge) w/ White body; I thinkthey were called the P-166 model - :mad: NEED :mad:

I have recently obtained:
:D Shimano Sante 170mm Cranks:D
:D Biopace 42-52 Chainrings :D

ALL parts sought are only purchased if they are found to be in MINT to NEAR MINT condition.

CJ,

I was wondering if you ever finished rebuilding this bike. Nick was my dad and I randomly came across this post and thought it was pretty cool to read about how he influenced you. I would love to see pictures if you still own the bike.

Hope all is well.

Best,

Erin