help w/ new bike purchase...

amarc

Jul 29, 2010
Hi - I'm a pretty inexperienced cyclist in NYC -- live in brooklyn, and have been getting more and more into cycling lately. I have a super old crappy mountain bike that I ride to work almost every day... but looking to replace it with a decent but inexpensive road bike. I've narrowed it down to 2 options from Bikesdirect. Regardless of your opinion about ordering from them (i know there are partisans on both sides!), i was wondering if i could get some feedback...

Option 1: Dawes Lightning 1000 for $390.
Pretty standard alum. bike from what I can tell. Things I like include the 2 sets of brakes and the adjustable handlebar that you could raise up and down depending on your riding style. I could also upgrade to the Lightning 1200 for a carbon fork -- any thoughts on if this is worth $60 extra?

Option 2: Mercier Galaxy Steel for $396.
I like the more classic look of this one -- and the thinner steel frame. I'm also thinking that steel might be a better idea for the bumpy NYC streets... thoughts on this? I've heard that there often isn't much difference in weight btw alum and steel, so I'm wondering if that should be a concern at all.

Anyway, I'd love to hear any feedback and advice you all may have... thanks.

If you're going to be using the bike for commuting, the Mercier is the better choice as it has eyelets for a rear rack and/or fenders to be mounted.