Help w/ Setting Promax Brakes

JW

Guest
I have a stock Trek 7100 with Promax brakes. The left pad on the front often
rubs against the rim after using the brakes. That is, both sides of the brake
don't return evenly to the open position. It doesn't look like there is any way
to adjust the relative tension of each side of the brake, the entire unit just
swivels back and forth over the single allen screw on each side.

So how does one fix this problem?

Thanks -

jon
--
[email protected]

JW wrote:
> I have a stock Trek 7100 with Promax brakes. The left pad on the front often
> rubs against the rim after using the brakes. That is, both sides of the brake
> don't return evenly to the open position. It doesn't look like there is any way
> to adjust the relative tension of each side of the brake, the entire unit just
> swivels back and forth over the single allen screw on each side.
>
> So how does one fix this problem?
>
> Thanks -
>
> jon

My Mongoose 04 Crossway 450 has Promax Brakes. They can be adjusted for
this problem, as there is a small black 'phillips head' screw near the
swivel point of the brake on each side, which must alter the brake
spring seating position. Hopefully yours are the same.
If not they may be adjustable by undoing the mounting Allen Screw to
reveal several alternative brake spring anchoring points which when
changed result in a fix to this problem. Good Luck

Tspoon <[email protected]> wrote:

>JW wrote:
>> I have a stock Trek 7100 with Promax brakes. The left pad on the front often
>> rubs against the rim after using the brakes. That is, both sides of the brake
>> don't return evenly to the open position. It doesn't look like there is any way
>> to adjust the relative tension of each side of the brake, the entire unit just
>> swivels back and forth over the single allen screw on each side.
>>
>> So how does one fix this problem?
>>
>> Thanks -
>>
>> jon

>My Mongoose 04 Crossway 450 has Promax Brakes. They can be adjusted for
>this problem, as there is a small black 'phillips head' screw near the
>swivel point of the brake on each side, which must alter the brake
>spring seating position. Hopefully yours are the same.
> If not they may be adjustable by undoing the mounting Allen Screw to
>reveal several alternative brake spring anchoring points which when
>changed result in a fix to this problem. Good Luck

Ah, so THAT'S what the small black screw is for!

Thanks for the quick reply!

jon
--
[email protected]