Help w/wheel build

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cat Dailey

Since reading Joe Kubera's wheel building thread, I thought I'd ask the experts here about
wheels for me.

I have a set of 2002 Record hubs and a set of Ambrosio Excellight rims (32 hole and not all that
light...pretty comp. to a Mavic Open Pro). I weigh 130 lbs. and am real easy on wheels. I was
thinking of doing 14/15 rear and
15/16 front, 3x. Any reason not to go 15/16 in the rear as well and maybe a different lacing
pattern? And heretic of heretics, I've always used alloy nipples with no problems whatsoever, so
I will probably stay with them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Cat

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
>Since reading Joe Kubera's wheel building thread, I thought I'd ask the experts here about
>wheels for me.
>
>I have a set of 2002 Record hubs and a set of Ambrosio Excellight rims (32 hole and not all that
>light...pretty comp. to a Mavic Open Pro). I weigh 130 lbs. and am real easy on wheels. I was
>thinking of doing 14/15 rear and
>15/16 front, 3x. Any reason not to go 15/16 in the rear as well and maybe a different lacing
> pattern? And heretic of heretics, I've always used alloy nipples with no problems whatsoever, so
> I will probably stay with them.

No reason not to use 15/16 in the back too. You can save a wee bit of weight and have a bit
less drag too.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Since reading Joe Kubera's wheel building thread, I thought I'd ask the experts here about
> wheels for me.
>
> I have a set of 2002 Record hubs and a set of Ambrosio Excellight rims (32 hole and not all that
> light...pretty comp. to a Mavic Open Pro). I weigh 130 lbs. and am real easy on wheels. I was
> thinking of doing 14/15 rear
and
> 15/16 front, 3x. Any reason not to go 15/16 in the rear as well and maybe
a
> different lacing pattern? And heretic of heretics, I've always used alloy nipples with no problems
> whatsoever, so I will probably stay with them.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks, Cat
>
>
130 lbs ! Lucky you

Graham

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Since reading Joe Kubera's wheel building thread, I thought I'd ask the experts here about
> wheels for me.

> I have a set of 2002 Record hubs and a set of Ambrosio Excellight rims (32 hole and not all that
> light...pretty comp. to a Mavic Open Pro). I weigh 130 lbs. and am real easy on wheels. I was
> thinking of doing 14/15 rear and
> 15/16 front, 3x. Any reason not to go 15/16 in the rear as well and maybe a different lacing
> pattern? And heretic of heretics, I've always used alloy nipples with no problems whatsoever,
> so I will probably stay with them.

I personally would go 15/16 all around. I've been using 15/16 gauge spokes for all wheels for over
15 years and have had excellent results.

I'm not a big fan of aluminum nipples. They don't turn as smoothly so it is harder to get the wheel
up to proper tension. I've had drive side spokes even pull out of aluminum nipples.

3x lacing works so to me there is no reason to get fancy. The main reason for doing anything but 3x
is to look distinctive. If you go radial do use a weak threadlock compound.

best, Bruce

"Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> wheels for me.
>
> thinking of doing 14/15 rear
and
> 15/16 front, 3x. Any reason not to go 15/16 in the rear as well and maybe
a
> different lacing pattern? And heretic of heretics, I've always used alloy nipples with no problems
> whatsoever, so I will probably stay with them.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks, Cat

I would use the 15/16 front and left rear. I would use 14/15 right rear. I would use Alloy nipples
all around. As an exception, I would consider brass nipples for the right rear. Lubrication on the
threaded interface and the nipple to rim interface (rim eyelets) is key to success. Thechniques to
remove spoke wind up are especially important with thinner spokes.

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:00:18 -0500, Cat Dailey wrote:

> wheels for me.
>
> thinking of doing
> 14/15 rear and 15/16 front, 3x. Any reason not to go 15/16 in the rear as well and maybe a
> different lacing pattern? And heretic of heretics, I've always used alloy nipples with no
> problems whatsoever, so I will probably stay with them.
>
> Any thoughts?

In both cases, if you are willing to deal with it, fine. Both the 15/16 spokes and the alloy nipples
will make the wheel harder to build. Alloy nipples tend to round easily, and thin spokes wind up,
making it hard to get the wheel tight enough to last.

But no, at your weight once you get it built, if tight enough and properly stress-relieved, they
ought to last fine.

Now, if you think there is a measurable advantage to the thinner spokes and lighter nipples, then
you are measuring very carefully.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

catdaily-<< I have a set of 2002 Record hubs and a set of Ambrosio Excellight rims (32 hole and not
all that light...pretty comp. to a Mavic Open Pro). I weigh 130 lbs. and am real easy on wheels.

<< I was thinking of doing 14/15 rear and
15/16 front, 3x. Any reason not to go 15/16 in the rear as well and maybe a different
lacing pattern?

if ya want to make the wheels lighter, use a lighter rim. But if ya gotta use the Ambrosio, sure,
use 15/16 on the rear and even Revs on the front, but lace three cross.. Funny lacing solves no
problem, answers no question, with regards to a well built wheel.

<< And heretic of heretics, I've always used alloy nipples with no problems whatsoever, so I will
probably stay with them.

What ever-but use the anodized ones, like black, they seem 'harder'

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(16)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snippage>

> if ya want to make the wheels lighter, use a lighter rim. But if ya gotta
use
> the Ambrosio, sure, use 15/16 on the rear and even Revs on the front, but
lace
> three cross.. Funny lacing solves no problem, answers no question, with
regards
> to a well built wheel.
>
> What ever-but use the anodized ones, like black, they seem 'harder'
>
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thank you all for your help. I think I am going to go 15/16, 3x all around
w/alloy nipples. To respond to some writers about my choices, it's funny but I think a lot of bike
stuff is actually "overbuilt" for me. I am a female, 130lbs., and am really easy on my wheels. If
I have to true them more than 2x/yr., that's a lot and I put in 9,000 mi. in 2002. I never had
any problems with alloy nipples and the only spokes I ever had difficulty with were a set of
wheels built w/Hoshi bladed spokes. Probably a poor choice on my part initially. Now to find an
excellent wheelbuilder, which is really a dilemma around here. Unfortunately, my custom
framebuilder is not a great wheel builder ;< The local "pro" shop (Cycles BiKyle) built a set of
wheels for a friend of mine and he had to take them back 3 times to get them right. I may have to
send the hubs/rims to Peter!

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.