Help wanted - lightweight aero road wheelset

Andrew76

Jan 24, 2007
Hi guys,

No doubt this thread is covering old ground, but I have spent many hours researching and I am still not sure about this... I am a 70kg rider who does not race (yet) or thrash the bike too hard. I want a good quality wheelset that will last and can be used later when I step up to a better quality frame.

Requirements:
1. Lightweight wheel (prefer less than 1600g per set)
2. Mid V rim profile (27mm plus)
3. Readily available locally
4. Known for reliability
5. Generic spokes, bearings etc for ease of maintenance
6. Prefer fewer spokes - 20/24 if possible but happy to have more
7. Prefer blade spokes (OK, just because they look good)
8. Less than $500 the pair
9. Must be able to be used in the space program (OK, that's taking it too far)

The two wheel I have extensively researched are the Reynolds Alta Race/Aero Comp (now Solitude) and the Neuvation R28 Aero's. Both seem to have reliability issues and in the case of the Neuvations, local support has dwindled (the guy is not offering the same level of support others speak of).

Other brands I have looked at:
Mavics: too expensive
Velocity: too heavy
DT: too expensive
Easton: too expensive

Can anyone provide any other ideas about wheels that might fit the requirements listed.

Thanks.

You're asking a lot for that money - strong, light, cheap, aero, reliable - choose any 3at best! There may be some options but you probably need to compromise somewhere. Where are you located?

1) I have heard good things about Greg at http://www.twowheelsenterprises.com.au/ (Sydney) so see what he can come up with.

2) In Melbourne, Bikepro are doing custom wheels based around Velocity and Niobium rims, but the deep rims are a bit more expensive: http://www.bikepro.com.au/Text/1172902282921-1849/Custom-road-wheel

3) Neuvations if you can get them are good value but they are no longer officially distributed here.

4) Easton Vista at $500 rrp or Vista SL at $600 rrp (cheaper on ebay - people removing them from new Cervelos)

Good luck - please report back if you find anything!

Miche probably have what you are after. I saw some of their wheels recently at the local bike shop. They looked ok and are cheaper than mavic.

roshea said:
You're asking a lot for that money - strong, light, cheap, aero, reliable - choose any 3at best! There may be some options but you probably need to compromise somewhere. Where are you located?

1) I have heard good things about Greg at http://www.twowheelsenterprises.com.au/ (Sydney) so see what he can come up with.

2) In Melbourne, Bikepro are doing custom wheels based around Velocity and Niobium rims, but the deep rims are a bit more expensive: http://www.bikepro.com.au/Text/1172902282921-1849/Custom-road-wheel

3) Neuvations if you can get them are good value but they are no longer officially distributed here.

4) Easton Vista at $500 rrp or Vista SL at $600 rrp (cheaper on ebay - people removing them from new Cervelos)

Good luck - please report back if you find anything!
Great advice - thank you.

I am in Perth. LBS here has Neuvations for $300 - but the original models which have a few reported problems (apparently the new spec Aero 3's are more reliable). Another LBS has Reynolds Alta Aero Comps for $450, but these again are an earlier model that had some reliability issues that seem to be ironed out in later models.

I have emailed TWE, but from other threads I suspect I might be over budget there (that being said I think the idea of custom built wheels locally is a great concept, and all other things being equal these would be my preferred wheel).

Bikepro are on the pricey side, and are a bit heavier.

I like the Easton Vista SL's. I forgot to mention I am heading to Canada in 6 weeks and could get some sent there from a US bike store for $250US plus postage - not a bad deal.

I agree I am asking for a lot in one package. Ultimately you get what you pay for in most situations I guess - a cheaper wheel might perform well for a while but dont expect it to last forever.

Andrew76 said:
Great advice - thank you.

I am in Perth. LBS here has Neuvations for $300 - but the original models which have a few reported problems (apparently the new spec Aero 3's are more reliable). Another LBS has Reynolds Alta Aero Comps for $450, but these again are an earlier model that had some reliability issues that seem to be ironed out in later models.

I have emailed TWE, but from other threads I suspect I might be over budget there (that being said I think the idea of custom built wheels locally is a great concept, and all other things being equal these would be my preferred wheel).
I'll preface this by saying I've got 3 sets of Greg's TWE wheels so am a bit biased.

First Neuvations blow, stay far far away.

You might struggle to get every single thing on you wish list, notably all the technical requirements at the price you've got budgeted. I think you are going to find you'll either need to work on the budget to accomodate the rest, or make some concessions on the spec.

The first set of wheels I got from TWE, I had built as 'trainers'. They are Alex Crostini 1.1 (front rim) and Crostini 1.2 (rear rim, with ocr), Novatec hubs, DT Aerolite spokes and Al (anodized red spoke nipples). They are laced 24/28 and weigh in at around 1560 grams. I won't quote the exact price other than they were under $600. I could have saved around $80-100 using DT Revolution spokes which are round rather than bladed and weigh the same amount. The bling nipples added a couple of bucks as did my request to have a Shimano 10sp only freehub body installed over the stock 9/10 sp.

To date I've got quite a few km in them and they are absolutely bullet proof and incredibly stiff. They pretty much cover all of your requirements so long as a) you raise your budget $100 or so, or b) you settle for non-aero spokes.

Past this I had a set built on Crostini 3.1/3.2 rims that I use as lightweight (under 1400g) race wheels, and also a set of Gregs preferred 30mm rim which is the same as the Easton Tempest rim on a set of really nice Kult hubs that I supplied. They come in around 1450g. The latter two have like the first set been great wheels though they were a little more expensive.

A final word Greg seems to be better with phone than email. His number is on his site, it's definately worth giving him a call.

--brett