Help! What do I do with this crankset now?

Thomas

Guest
Hi all,

Recently bought a nice pair of Shimano 545 clipless pedals. Even got a set of shoes to use with
them as well.

Fitted the pedals, went for a ride on Saturday, fell off a couple of times, continued, fell off
again even more embarrassingly, all very good fun.

Monday's cycle to work went well, but whilst outside having a smoke with a colleague, he noticed
that one of the pedals had managed to unscrew itself slightly. I make a mental note to fix that
before heading off home and duly forget all about it.

Until I'm going down the fastest part of my ride and realise "Hmm... something's not right. ****!"

Get off and attempt to screw the pedal back in all the way... it goes in a couple of turns and not
an inch further. Being stupid and hot-headed, I unscrew the damned thing all the way and try again.
Same result - goes in, stops with about a quater-inch sticking out. "Sod it", think I, "Cheap bike,
can't expect much out of the parts."

So, cycling into work today, delightfully blase about the whole situation, I realise that now the
pedal's half-in, half-out, still with a bit poking out. I give up, go back inside the house and
attempt to unscrew the pedal. It just goes round and round and round and round and only after using
an allen key as well as the spanner to get it out do I find the threads on the inside of the arm
have come off.

*sigh*

So, what do I do about this? It's not the arm that the chainring's on, if that helps. Any ideas what
to go for?

Cheers, Thomas.

take it to a good bike shop and ask them to put a helicoil in, this will repair the thread,
shouldn't cost too much either Mark "Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Recently bought a nice pair of Shimano 545 clipless pedals. Even got a set of shoes to use with
> them as well.
>
> Fitted the pedals, went for a ride on Saturday, fell off a couple of
times,
> continued, fell off again even more embarrassingly, all very good fun.
>
> Monday's cycle to work went well, but whilst outside having a smoke with a colleague, he noticed
> that one of the pedals had managed to unscrew itself slightly. I make a mental note to fix that
> before heading off home and
duly
> forget all about it.
>
> Until I'm going down the fastest part of my ride and realise "Hmm... something's not right. ****!"
>
> Get off and attempt to screw the pedal back in all the way... it goes in a couple of turns and
> not an inch further. Being stupid and hot-headed, I unscrew the damned thing all the way and
> try again. Same result - goes in, stops with about a quater-inch sticking out. "Sod it", think
> I, "Cheap
bike,
> can't expect much out of the parts."
>
> So, cycling into work today, delightfully blase about the whole situation,
> realise that now the pedal's half-in, half-out, still with a bit poking
out.
> I give up, go back inside the house and attempt to unscrew the pedal. It just goes round and round
> and round and round and only after using an
allen
> key as well as the spanner to get it out do I find the threads on the
inside
> of the arm have come off.
>
> *sigh*
>
> So, what do I do about this? It's not the arm that the chainring's on, if that helps. Any ideas
> what to go for?
>
> Cheers, Thomas.

Umm, you say it's "not the arm that the chainring's on" meaning it's the left hand arm. Just
checking for anyone who may not know that left pedal has a left-hand (reverse) thread? (I remember
it as "Right is right, left is wrong"). Pedals will be stamped with R and L, usually on the flat by
the crank. Anyway, as said before, helicoil is the answer. Cheers, A