Help! What do I do with this crankset now?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Thomas, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Hi all,

    Recently bought a nice pair of Shimano 545 clipless pedals. Even got a set of shoes to use with
    them as well.

    Fitted the pedals, went for a ride on Saturday, fell off a couple of times, continued, fell off
    again even more embarrassingly, all very good fun.

    Monday's cycle to work went well, but whilst outside having a smoke with a colleague, he noticed
    that one of the pedals had managed to unscrew itself slightly. I make a mental note to fix that
    before heading off home and duly forget all about it.

    Until I'm going down the fastest part of my ride and realise "Hmm... something's not right. Shit!"

    Get off and attempt to screw the pedal back in all the way... it goes in a couple of turns and not
    an inch further. Being stupid and hot-headed, I unscrew the damned thing all the way and try again.
    Same result - goes in, stops with about a quater-inch sticking out. "Sod it", think I, "Cheap bike,
    can't expect much out of the parts."

    So, cycling into work today, delightfully blase about the whole situation, I realise that now the
    pedal's half-in, half-out, still with a bit poking out. I give up, go back inside the house and
    attempt to unscrew the pedal. It just goes round and round and round and round and only after using
    an allen key as well as the spanner to get it out do I find the threads on the inside of the arm
    have come off.

    *sigh*

    So, what do I do about this? It's not the arm that the chainring's on, if that helps. Any ideas what
    to go for?

    Cheers, Thomas.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Potter

    Mark Potter Guest

    take it to a good bike shop and ask them to put a helicoil in, this will repair the thread,
    shouldn't cost too much either Mark "Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Recently bought a nice pair of Shimano 545 clipless pedals. Even got a set of shoes to use with
    > them as well.
    >
    > Fitted the pedals, went for a ride on Saturday, fell off a couple of
    times,
    > continued, fell off again even more embarrassingly, all very good fun.
    >
    > Monday's cycle to work went well, but whilst outside having a smoke with a colleague, he noticed
    > that one of the pedals had managed to unscrew itself slightly. I make a mental note to fix that
    > before heading off home and
    duly
    > forget all about it.
    >
    > Until I'm going down the fastest part of my ride and realise "Hmm... something's not right. Shit!"
    >
    > Get off and attempt to screw the pedal back in all the way... it goes in a couple of turns and
    > not an inch further. Being stupid and hot-headed, I unscrew the damned thing all the way and
    > try again. Same result - goes in, stops with about a quater-inch sticking out. "Sod it", think
    > I, "Cheap
    bike,
    > can't expect much out of the parts."
    >
    > So, cycling into work today, delightfully blase about the whole situation,
    > realise that now the pedal's half-in, half-out, still with a bit poking
    out.
    > I give up, go back inside the house and attempt to unscrew the pedal. It just goes round and round
    > and round and round and only after using an
    allen
    > key as well as the spanner to get it out do I find the threads on the
    inside
    > of the arm have come off.
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    > So, what do I do about this? It's not the arm that the chainring's on, if that helps. Any ideas
    > what to go for?
    >
    > Cheers, Thomas.

  3. zebra

    zebra Guest

    Umm, you say it's "not the arm that the chainring's on" meaning it's the left hand arm. Just
    checking for anyone who may not know that left pedal has a left-hand (reverse) thread? (I remember
    it as "Right is right, left is wrong"). Pedals will be stamped with R and L, usually on the flat by
    the crank. Anyway, as said before, helicoil is the answer. Cheers, A