Help!! What size bike is best?

davie_gillie

Sep 9, 2005
I am about to purchase my first road bike, and have am veru confused over what size I should look at. I am 6 ft tall and have been directed to several different sizes. The bike i am interested in purchasing is on sale, but is 54 cm, the owner feels this is big enough, is this only a sales pitch? What sizes of bike fit heights of people? Thanks very much... By the way, the bike is an Orbea, any suggestions?

I agree. I am 5'4" and I ride a 52 or 54. You should be looking at something more in the 56-58 range.

I'm 6' 3" and I ride a 60cm frame. One shop (not the one I bought it from) fitted me for a 60cm or 63cm frame. I would say the 54 is wayy to small.

-Matt

mattjf said:
I'm 6' 3" and I ride a 60cm frame. One shop (not the one I bought it from) fitted me for a 60cm or 63cm frame. I would say the 54 is wayy to small.

-Matt
One more for the pile on; I'm 5'8" and ride a 54cm. For you to ride such a bike you'd have to have 12" of seatpost showing.

5'11" is about the absolute limit for a 54cm frame but it depends on your shape and riding style, the frame's geometry and the exactly what you are using it for. You are more likely to need a frame around 56cm. Don't listen to sales people too much, particularly if it looks like they are keen to off-load the bike they have on the floor at the time or whatever is "on special."

Get measured if you can. Even if you aren't getting a custom frame you need to know your optimum so you can make a better choice of what there is.

Good Luck Jay.

yeah... i'd get measured again for sure. i have a 30-31 inch inseam, 5' 10" or so and I ride as comfortably as naptime on a 54cm.