Help - What's This?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Grenouil, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    I found this in a box of bits inherited from my father-in-law. It fits a bottle cage mount, but is
    too small for a bottle - measures 5cm across the metal bracket. My best guess is that it's designed
    to carry a tubular tire, or maybe a folding clincher - can anyone identify it?

    http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/a/kaeru41/What_Is_It.jpg

    Thanks.......

    Tags:

  2. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Its obviously to hold your cell phone.

    "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I found this in a box of bits inherited from my father-in-law. It fits a bottle cage mount, but is
    > too small for a bottle - measures 5cm across the metal bracket. My best guess is that it's
    > designed to carry a tubular
    tire,
    > or maybe a folding clincher - can anyone identify it?
    >
    > http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/a/kaeru41/What_Is_It.jpg
    >
    > Thanks.......

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    It looks like a bottlecage for an aerobottle, like these:
    http://www.campyonly.com/images/catalogs/1991/91bottles.jpg

    "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I found this in a box of bits inherited from my father-in-law. It fits a bottle cage mount, but is
    > too small for a bottle - measures 5cm across the metal bracket. My best guess is that it's
    > designed to carry a tubular tire, or maybe a folding clincher - can anyone identify it?
    >
    > http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/a/kaeru41/What_Is_It.jpg
    >
    > Thanks.......

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I found this in a box of bits inherited from my father-in-law. It fits a bottle cage mount, but is
    > too small for a bottle - measures 5cm across the metal bracket. My best guess is that it's
    > designed to carry a tubular tire, or maybe a folding clincher - can anyone identify it?
    >
    > http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/a/kaeru41/What_Is_It.jpg
    >
    > Thanks.......

    It's a bottle cage for an "aero" water bottle, circa 1985. They were available from Campy and
    Shimano and a few other manufacturers. I'd *guess* that you have one made by Miche. Useless unless
    you have the bottle that fits it.

    Jeff

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I found this in a box of bits inherited from my father-in-law. It fits a bottle cage mount, but is
    > too small for a bottle - measures 5cm across the metal bracket. My best guess is that it's
    > designed to carry a tubular
    tire,
    > or maybe a folding clincher - can anyone identify it?
    >
    > http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/a/kaeru41/What_Is_It.jpg

    It's a bottle cage for an Aero Bottle. Both Shimano and Campagnolo, inter alia, made these in the
    early 1980s.

  6. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I found this in a box of bits inherited from my father-in-law. It fits a bottle cage mount, but is
    > too small for a bottle - measures 5cm across the metal bracket. My best guess is that it's
    > designed to carry a tubular
    tire,
    > or maybe a folding clincher - can anyone identify it?
    >
    > http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/a/kaeru41/What_Is_It.jpg
    >
    > Thanks.......

    Appreciate all the responses - now all I need to do is to locate a suitable bottle - or maybe not -
    they sorta remind me of the receptacle you use in hospital when you can't get out of bed........

    Thanks....