HELP: Where To Put Spare Tire

On Jun 7, 1:04 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>
> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
> it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
> above the rear tire ?
>
> I am wide open to suggestions.
>
> Thank you

First, you need to twist the tire into a triple loop. Grab the tire
on opposite sides with both hands and twist into a figure 8. Push the
crossover closer to one side and twist again and the tire should curl
up into a small triple coil. Pull over the nose of the seat then over
the back. It is now around the seat post over the top tube and seat
stays. Using a small bungy cord, on the non-chainring side pull down
to the backside of the front derailer, carefull avoiding interfereing
with its use. Attaching bungy cord to down tube could result in
cables cutting the bungy cord, using the chain stay could pull tire
into wheel.

Maple Tree wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>
> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
> it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
> above the rear tire ?
>
> I am wide open to suggestions.

Hire a Domestique and make him carry your extra ****.

Bill

"Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Hello,
|
| I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
| tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
|
| Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have
seen
| it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
| above the rear tire ?
|
| I am wide open to suggestions.
|
| Thank you

Get the absolute lightest, thinnest tire you can find for a spare, something
that folds up really flat (you can generally see the differences pretty
easily at the shop), and you can attach it underneath your seatbag using
very thin bungee cords or toe straps.

But do you really need to carry a spare tire? If I were doing a
cross-country ride, sure I would, because there might be times I'd be miles
and miles from a shop or civilization in general. But the reality is that I
ride about 6k miles/year, have done so for the past umpteen years, and get
maybe one flat every 3k miles or so and haven't destroyed a tire beyond its
ability to get me back home in... well, don't recall if I ever have, at
least not in my post-tubular days. Nor do I recall anyone in the rides I've
been on having to use a spare tire (or get sagged back).

For most serious gashes, you can tear off a piece of handlebar tape, or the
oft-suggested dollar bill or powerbar wrapper. And if that doesn't work,
there's always the cell phone.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

http://www.salsacycles.com/laCruz08.html

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

"Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip>

> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike.

<snip, snip>

> I am not a racer, I am a club rider. Ultra-light doesn't work for me ...

The combination of these two statements above leaves me confused.

Sophisticated, yet not too refined?
Optimal balance of lateral stiffness and vertical compliance?
Bold, yet not too assertive?
Utilizes the inherent vibration damping qualities of OCLV to deliver just
the right amount of road feedback to keep you in-tune with the road?

BobT

Fred Fredburger wrote:
> Don't forget to bring a spare rider. Just in case you get tired.

What about a team car. I'm told the Rock Racing models come with used
models inside.

Robert Chung wrote:
> Haven't you been paying attention? The dollar is weak compared to other
> currencies.

You need to use $1.50 where you would use 1 Euro. Good luck with getting
cents to stick, perhaps you better wait until it becomes $2.00.

A R:nen wrote:
> Around the waist as per UCI regulations for Masters Fatties.

It could also go in their Camelback.

On Jun 7, 8:24 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> But do you really need to carry a spare tire? If I were doing a
> cross-country ride, sure I would, because there might be times I'd be miles
> and miles from a shop or civilization in general. But the reality is that I
> ride about 6k miles/year, have done so for the past umpteen years, and get
> maybe one flat every 3k miles or so and haven't destroyed a tire beyond its
> ability to get me back home in... well, don't recall if I ever have, at
> least not in my post-tubular days.  Nor do I recall anyone in the rides I've
> been on having to use a spare tire (or get sagged back).
>
> For most serious gashes, you can tear off a piece of handlebar tape, or the
> oft-suggested dollar bill or powerbar wrapper. And if that doesn't work,
> there's always the cell phone.

http://www.ucolick.org/~bjw/misc/rbt/badflat.jpg

This is a historical re-enactment, but without the
fake blurry effects in a bad History Channel documentary.
In reality, I took the screw out, replaced the tube, used
a piece of Tyvek to boot the holes in the tire, and rode
home. At home, I put the screw back in to take
the photo for documentary purposes. It was only a
couple of miles from home and I could have ridden
more. The most serious issue in all of this was that
I was going downhill and the tire went flat really fast.
You can't see it in this picture, but there is actually
cosmetic damage to the rim from the screw.

Tyvek rules, BTW. Free in any express mail envelope.

Ben

On 2008-06-08, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo> wrote:
> "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Unfortunately, there is a lot of junvenile minds on this ng :)

> Your question is a bit juvenile don't you think? You can't figure out where
> to put a spare tire on your bicycle? I've been back riding for 25 years and
> I've needed a tire once. And I was within a block of a bike shop about to
> open. And I put in more than 5,000 miles a year.
>
> If you are that nervous about a spare tire I would have thought that you'd
> already have figured out a couple of ways: a) you carry it in your center
> back pocket like the sewup people do. b) You tape it between the seat rails
> and above the seat pack. c) You put it inside a dummy water bottle in the
> second water bottle mount. Is this rocket science?

If you're going on a ride long enough to consider a spare tyre you
probably need two bottles of water.

On Jun 7, 3:51 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >I carry a single tube and a patch kit.
> > For tire repair I carry a section of
> > tubular casing and a hunk of... duct
> > tape. I've never run over anything that
> > damaged a tire beyond booting with one
> > of those two.

> > If you have seen fellow riders break
> > tires, ask them what kind they are
> > riding. Don't buy those tires. Tires
> > shouldn't break.

> > Bob Schwartz

> Not sure, but it does happen from time to time

Don't buy the kind that break. D'oh! If your brake pads are adjusted
to not contact the sidewall--carrying a spare clincher on a training
ride is pure paranoia.

"Ben C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2008-06-08, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo> wrote:
>> "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, there is a lot of junvenile minds on this ng :)

>> Your question is a bit juvenile don't you think? You can't figure out
>> where
>> to put a spare tire on your bicycle? I've been back riding for 25 years
>> and
>> I've needed a tire once. And I was within a block of a bike shop about to
>> open. And I put in more than 5,000 miles a year.
>>
>> If you are that nervous about a spare tire I would have thought that
>> you'd
>> already have figured out a couple of ways: a) you carry it in your center
>> back pocket like the sewup people do. b) You tape it between the seat
>> rails
>> and above the seat pack. c) You put it inside a dummy water bottle in the
>> second water bottle mount. Is this rocket science?

> If you're going on a ride long enough to consider a spare tyre you
> probably need two bottles of water.

How long is a ride long enough to consider a spare tire?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.ucolick.org/~bjw/misc/rbt/badflat.jpg

I had one that went straight in and rammed a hole through rim half-way
between two spoke holes. It went in so deeply and tightly that I had to get
a screwdriver from someone in the group and unscrew it to get it out.

10 years later we were sitting around in an outdoor coffee shop and started
talking about that and there was a guy there who I'd given the wheels to who
was still using it with the extra spoke hole. They were mounted on the bike
he was riding!

On Jun 7, 11:04 am, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am riding a TREK Madone 5.2, full carbon fibre bike. I keep two spare
> tubes and tools inside my saddle bag, it is now full.
>
> Where on my bike should I keep a spare tire in case one breaks, I have seen
> it happen to fellow riders. Maybe I can strap one on to the back Stays
> above the rear tire ?
>
> I am wide open to suggestions.
>
> Thank you

I carry a spare tube, a home made patch kit, and a Swiss Army knife in
the back pockets of my jersey. I also carry a piece of sewup casing
for a boot, as I have also gotten an occasional nail or other object
that ruined my tire. The Tyvek boot solution sounds like a very good
idea though, as well as the suggestion to get it from a mailing
envelope.

The spare tube is for cases where the cause of the puncture is not
obvious, or in case the tube is severely damaged as in the case of a
nail. If I know where the hole is I'll often just do the minimum
amount of work to get at that section of the tube, but a patch on it
and be back in business.

The post about exploding tires from braking was interesting. That's
never happened to me. However, my philosophy is that brakes are for
stopping at the end of the ride.

And yes, if you must carry a spare tire, it goes around your waist,
but best to try the andouillette diet: eat as much as you want, and
anything you want, as long as it's andouillette.
-Paul

Hello, Tom Kunich!
You wrote:

> How long is a ride long enough to consider a spare tire?

First off, typically you just need a spare inner tube, not a
spare tire. This is handy since carrying a spare tube is much
more conveinent than a spare tire. It is really, really rare
you'll ever get a puncture that requres a new tire. Some really
paranoid folks carry a strip of duct tape to make an emergency
tire repair (just in case).

IMO, it isn't so much the milage vs where you will be riding. I
usually carry a spare tube + pump + levers + patch kit when I am
biking out into the country, where if I get a flat I'd have to
wait a really long time for a friend to come pick me up. In my
area, typically this means a ride of ~40+ miles or so.

On the other hand, if I am biking around the city, I usually
don't bother with a spare since I can always hop a bus or grab a
ride with minimal waiting.
--
Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

On 2008-06-08, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo> wrote:
> "Ben C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 2008-06-08, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo> wrote:

[...]
>> If you're going on a ride long enough to consider a spare tyre you
>> probably need two bottles of water.

> How long is a ride long enough to consider a spare tire?

A long tour lasting a few weeks and going through the middle of nowhere.
I never carry one.

Two bottles of water however is advised for distances >= 50km in warm
weather.

On Jun 8, 4:10 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> You can't see it in this picture, but there is actually
> cosmetic damage to the rim from the screw.

I think you just solved a mystery for me. I had an odd flat last
winter that turned out to be caused by a rough spot on the inside of
the rim, between two spoke holes. I was baffled as to how I got the
rough spot in the first place.

Seeing that screw reminded me that I'd had a similar flat in Buffalo
NY a few years ago. It probably scratched the rim then, possibly under
the rim strip - and that scratch slowly worked its way through and
wore at the tube.

I dremmelled it smooth this time.

"Todd Tannenbaum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello, Tom Kunich!
> You wrote:
>>
>> How long is a ride long enough to consider a spare tire?

> First off, typically you just need a spare inner tube, not a
> spare tire. This is handy since carrying a spare tube is much
> more conveinent than a spare tire. It is really, really rare
> you'll ever get a puncture that requres a new tire. Some really
> paranoid folks carry a strip of duct tape to make an emergency
> tire repair (just in case).

As I noted, I did have a flat that I couldn't fix without replacing the
tire. On a NEW bike with brand new well built wheels (test ridden about 100
miles already) I entered Palo Alto early in the morning on the way to Santa
Cruz. As I entered Palo Alto I had a rather noisy blowout. The tire somehow
lifted off of the rim and broke the bead as it did. Since the wheel had
already been ridden that 100 or so miles I have no idea what could have
caused it. And since it was a Continental tire it isn't likely to be the
tire's fault. I assume that the innertube was under one edge of the tire and
finally lifted it off though why that would happen on a cold morning without
any significant braking I couldn't say.

Luckily the time was such that after enjoying an early morning cup of coffee
in Palo Alto I was able to go to Palo Alto Bicycles. They didn't have
Continental tires in stock but they did have an Avocet 28 mm that fit
perfectly. The rest of the ride into Santa Cruz was punctuated by 12 flats!
And I couldn't find out what the hell was causing them. The ride home gave
me only 3 flats. After I took everything apart and looked carefully the
filler area of the rim had collapsed when the blowout occurred and left a
tiny sharp point that would puncture a microscopic hole through the base of
the filler valve which was why I couldn't find the danged thing. A second's
work with a file fixed it forever. The Avocent then gave me about 3500 miles
of service with no flats. What is significant is that I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs
and rarely get more than 1500 miles on a new tire.

But back to tires - I have had hideous damage to tires including 3" long
tears in the sidewall that I was able to seal sufficiently with a dollar
bill and an aluminum beer can from the side of the road and ride another 25
miles home. You can peal the top and bottom off of the aluminum can and have
a strong formable piece of perfect material for such a thing.

On Jun 8, 1:19 pm, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2008-06-08, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo> wrote:
>
> > "Ben C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> On 2008-06-08, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo> wrote:

> [...]
> >> If you're going on a ride long enough to consider a spare tyre you
> >> probably need two bottles of water.

> > How long is a ride long enough to consider a spare tire?

> A long tour lasting a few weeks and going through the middle of nowhere.
> I never carry one.
>
> Two bottles of water however is advised for distances >= 50km in warm
> weather.

I've spent a couple of summers doing long tours, one in the US and one
in Western Europe. Never carried a spare tire. I just got replacements
at bike shops. Now though I carry a spare tire where ever I go. ;-)
I crossed Nevada and Utah on one of those tours. I carried a water
bag- I think it held a gallon. Two water bottles doesn't cut it in the
desert.
-Paul