HELP Which do I buy??? Haro X2 or X3

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Candt, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Candt

    Candt Guest

    OK - the hint has been dropped to 'her indoors' (the wife for the non-Brits). And the groundwork has
    been laid regarding the purchase of a nice new FS to sit alongside my Trek hardtail...

    My original thinking was the Haro Extreme X3 which I cna get here in the UK for 899 GBP, which -
    given the RRP is 1199, and the spec in general, is a pretty good price in anyones book...

    Now - obviously - I havent mentioned cost to her, because I'm quite fond of my bits-and-pieces, and
    don't relish the idea of me waking up one morning with them in a jar by the side of the bed...So...
    I have got to thinking - the X2 is only 599 GBP, and that 300 pound difference might well keep me
    attached to my personals.....

    Now I got to thinking - what am I losing for that 300 pounds, so here's a brief comparison of the
    downgrades, and I hope you lot can help me out in my descision
    - given that the frame is the same, and the geometry will be very similar...

    So..

    The Fox Vanilla R goes to an X-Fusion w/rebound adjust
    Psylo XC (80-125mm) drops to the Marzocchi EXR Comp (100mm) Truvativ DH BB just drops to the normal
    Truvativ one I lose Shimano Deore hydraulic discs to Avid Mechanical discs XT rear mech drops to
    LX Magnesium pedals to normal Anthracite to Army green colour...

    Now I have an XT mech on my current bike, and Marzocchi MXC ECC 100mm front fork, which could come
    off and replace the stock parts on the X2 - so really - its only the hydraulic discs which are the
    main losses - but I have read great things about the Avid Mechanical discs.

    Actually - when I lay it out like that - you're not really losing out on a massive amount - but any
    advice would be really welcome - the full specs of both of these can be found here

    X2 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex2.html

    X3 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html

    Cheers for any help or advice,

    CandT

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    CandT wrote:

    > Now I got to thinking - what am I losing for that 300 pounds,

    Your dignity. She'd only spend it on shoes anyway.

    :)

  3. Nick Drew

    Nick Drew Guest

    "CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK - the hint has been dropped to 'her indoors' (the wife for the
    non-Brits).
    > And the groundwork has been laid regarding the purchase of a nice new FS
    to sit
    > alongside my Trek hardtail...
    >
    > My original thinking was the Haro Extreme X3 which I cna get here in the
    UK for
    > 899 GBP, which - given the RRP is 1199, and the spec in general, is a
    pretty
    > good price in anyones book...
    >
    > Now - obviously - I havent mentioned cost to her, because I'm quite fond
    of my
    > bits-and-pieces, and don't relish the idea of me waking up one morning
    with them
    > in a jar by the side of the bed...So... I have got to thinking - the X2 is
    only
    > 599 GBP, and that 300 pound difference might well keep me attached to my personals.....
    >
    > Now I got to thinking - what am I losing for that 300 pounds, so here's a
    brief
    > comparison of the downgrades, and I hope you lot can help me out in my
    descision
    > - given that the frame is the same, and the geometry will be very
    similar...

    > So..
    >
    > The Fox Vanilla R goes to an X-Fusion w/rebound adjust
    > Psylo XC (80-125mm) drops to the Marzocchi EXR Comp (100mm) Truvativ DH BB just drops to the
    > normal Truvativ one I lose Shimano Deore hydraulic discs to Avid Mechanical discs XT rear mech
    > drops to LX Magnesium pedals to normal Anthracite to Army green colour...
    >
    > Now I have an XT mech on my current bike, and Marzocchi MXC ECC 100mm
    front
    > fork, which could come off and replace the stock parts on the X2 - so
    really -
    > its only the hydraulic discs which are the main losses - but I have read
    great
    > things about the Avid Mechanical discs.
    >
    > Actually - when I lay it out like that - you're not really losing out on a massive amount - but
    > any advice would be really welcome - the full specs
    of both
    > of these can be found here
    >
    > X2 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex2.html
    >
    > X3 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html
    >
    > Cheers for any help or advice,
    >
    > CandT

    The Fox rear shock may be the biggest loss, given the parts you already have, and assuming the
    frames are the same. I have to say that apart from that I think you're right - you're not losing
    out too much.

  4. CandT wrote:

    >OK - the hint has been dropped to 'her indoors' (the wife for the non-Brits).

    Now you've done it! If she sees that she'll send for PC Whatmough (sp?) to straighten you out. Fate
    worse than death!

    ;-)

    Steve

  5. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:11:13 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Your dignity. She'd only spend it on shoes anyway.
    >
    >:)

    Now, you see - thats what I'm talking about - you try to put a humourous slant on your posts - and
    the replies you get are in response to that - and not your actual question!

    Stick that in your FAQ and smoke it....

    ;-)

    CandT

  6. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:04:34 -0000, "Nick Drew" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Fox rear shock may be the biggest loss, given the parts you already have, and assuming the
    >frames are the same. I have to say that apart from that I think you're right - you're not losing
    >out too much.

    Yep - the frames - aside from the colour - are the same. Unfortunately mtbreview.com don't have any
    x-fusion shocks on there, so I can't get any advocacy from any real riders... Though I do note that
    the Vanilla R scores 4/4
    - but thats just 1 rider...

    Its a tough call - I'll only end up upgrading the discs, and possibly the shock, in the future -
    which in my estimates will cost 300 GBP + anyway - which is the difference between the two...

    God I'm depressed!

    CandT

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK - the hint has been dropped to 'her indoors' (the wife for the
    non-Brits).
    > And the groundwork has been laid regarding the purchase of a nice new FS
    to sit
    > alongside my Trek hardtail...
    >
    > My original thinking was the Haro Extreme X3 which I cna get here in the
    UK for
    > 899 GBP, which - given the RRP is 1199, and the spec in general, is a
    pretty
    > good price in anyones book...
    >
    > Now - obviously - I havent mentioned cost to her, because I'm quite fond
    of my
    > bits-and-pieces, and don't relish the idea of me waking up one morning
    with them
    > in a jar by the side of the bed...So... I have got to thinking - the X2 is
    only
    > 599 GBP, and that 300 pound difference might well keep me attached to my personals.....
    >
    > Now I got to thinking - what am I losing for that 300 pounds, so here's a
    brief
    > comparison of the downgrades, and I hope you lot can help me out in my
    descision
    > - given that the frame is the same, and the geometry will be very
    similar...

    > So..
    >
    > The Fox Vanilla R goes to an X-Fusion w/rebound adjust
    > Psylo XC (80-125mm) drops to the Marzocchi EXR Comp (100mm) Truvativ DH BB just drops to the
    > normal Truvativ one I lose Shimano Deore hydraulic discs to Avid Mechanical discs XT rear mech
    > drops to LX Magnesium pedals to normal Anthracite to Army green colour...
    >
    > Now I have an XT mech on my current bike, and Marzocchi MXC ECC 100mm
    front
    > fork, which could come off and replace the stock parts on the X2 - so
    really -
    > its only the hydraulic discs which are the main losses - but I have read
    great
    > things about the Avid Mechanical discs.
    >
    > Actually - when I lay it out like that - you're not really losing out on a massive amount - but
    > any advice would be really welcome - the full specs
    of both
    > of these can be found here
    >
    > X2 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex2.html
    >
    > X3 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html
    >
    > Cheers for any help or advice,
    >
    > CandT

    Explain to her the greater value of purchasing better parts 'on' the bike rather than upgrading
    later on?!

    Mike