HELP Which do I buy??? Haro X2 or X3

Candt

Guest
OK - the hint has been dropped to 'her indoors' (the wife for the non-Brits). And the groundwork has
been laid regarding the purchase of a nice new FS to sit alongside my Trek hardtail...

My original thinking was the Haro Extreme X3 which I cna get here in the UK for 899 GBP, which -
given the RRP is 1199, and the spec in general, is a pretty good price in anyones book...

Now - obviously - I havent mentioned cost to her, because I'm quite fond of my bits-and-pieces, and
don't relish the idea of me waking up one morning with them in a jar by the side of the bed...So...
I have got to thinking - the X2 is only 599 GBP, and that 300 pound difference might well keep me
attached to my personals.....

Now I got to thinking - what am I losing for that 300 pounds, so here's a brief comparison of the
downgrades, and I hope you lot can help me out in my descision
- given that the frame is the same, and the geometry will be very similar...

So..

The Fox Vanilla R goes to an X-Fusion w/rebound adjust
Psylo XC (80-125mm) drops to the Marzocchi EXR Comp (100mm) Truvativ DH BB just drops to the normal
Truvativ one I lose Shimano Deore hydraulic discs to Avid Mechanical discs XT rear mech drops to
LX Magnesium pedals to normal Anthracite to Army green colour...

Now I have an XT mech on my current bike, and Marzocchi MXC ECC 100mm front fork, which could come
off and replace the stock parts on the X2 - so really - its only the hydraulic discs which are the
main losses - but I have read great things about the Avid Mechanical discs.

Actually - when I lay it out like that - you're not really losing out on a massive amount - but any
advice would be really welcome - the full specs of both of these can be found here

X2 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex2.html

X3 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html

Cheers for any help or advice,

CandT

CandT wrote:

> Now I got to thinking - what am I losing for that 300 pounds,

Your dignity. She'd only spend it on shoes anyway.

:)

"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK - the hint has been dropped to 'her indoors' (the wife for the
non-Brits).
> And the groundwork has been laid regarding the purchase of a nice new FS
to sit
> alongside my Trek hardtail...
>
> My original thinking was the Haro Extreme X3 which I cna get here in the
UK for
> 899 GBP, which - given the RRP is 1199, and the spec in general, is a
pretty
> good price in anyones book...
>
> Now - obviously - I havent mentioned cost to her, because I'm quite fond
of my
> bits-and-pieces, and don't relish the idea of me waking up one morning
with them
> in a jar by the side of the bed...So... I have got to thinking - the X2 is
only
> 599 GBP, and that 300 pound difference might well keep me attached to my personals.....
>
> Now I got to thinking - what am I losing for that 300 pounds, so here's a
brief
> comparison of the downgrades, and I hope you lot can help me out in my
descision
> - given that the frame is the same, and the geometry will be very
similar...

> So..
>
> The Fox Vanilla R goes to an X-Fusion w/rebound adjust
> Psylo XC (80-125mm) drops to the Marzocchi EXR Comp (100mm) Truvativ DH BB just drops to the
> normal Truvativ one I lose Shimano Deore hydraulic discs to Avid Mechanical discs XT rear mech
> drops to LX Magnesium pedals to normal Anthracite to Army green colour...
>
> Now I have an XT mech on my current bike, and Marzocchi MXC ECC 100mm
front
> fork, which could come off and replace the stock parts on the X2 - so
really -
> its only the hydraulic discs which are the main losses - but I have read
great
> things about the Avid Mechanical discs.
>
> Actually - when I lay it out like that - you're not really losing out on a massive amount - but
> any advice would be really welcome - the full specs
of both
> of these can be found here
>
> X2 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex2.html
>
> X3 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html
>
> Cheers for any help or advice,
>
> CandT

The Fox rear shock may be the biggest loss, given the parts you already have, and assuming the
frames are the same. I have to say that apart from that I think you're right - you're not losing
out too much.

CandT wrote:

>OK - the hint has been dropped to 'her indoors' (the wife for the non-Brits).

Now you've done it! If she sees that she'll send for PC Whatmough (sp?) to straighten you out. Fate
worse than death!

;-)

Steve

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:11:13 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Your dignity. She'd only spend it on shoes anyway.
>
>:)

Now, you see - thats what I'm talking about - you try to put a humourous slant on your posts - and
the replies you get are in response to that - and not your actual question!

Stick that in your FAQ and smoke it....

;-)

CandT

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:04:34 -0000, "Nick Drew" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Fox rear shock may be the biggest loss, given the parts you already have, and assuming the
>frames are the same. I have to say that apart from that I think you're right - you're not losing
>out too much.

Yep - the frames - aside from the colour - are the same. Unfortunately mtbreview.com don't have any
x-fusion shocks on there, so I can't get any advocacy from any real riders... Though I do note that
the Vanilla R scores 4/4
- but thats just 1 rider...

Its a tough call - I'll only end up upgrading the discs, and possibly the shock, in the future -
which in my estimates will cost 300 GBP + anyway - which is the difference between the two...

God I'm depressed!

CandT

"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK - the hint has been dropped to 'her indoors' (the wife for the
non-Brits).
> And the groundwork has been laid regarding the purchase of a nice new FS
to sit
> alongside my Trek hardtail...
>
> My original thinking was the Haro Extreme X3 which I cna get here in the
UK for
> 899 GBP, which - given the RRP is 1199, and the spec in general, is a
pretty
> good price in anyones book...
>
> Now - obviously - I havent mentioned cost to her, because I'm quite fond
of my
> bits-and-pieces, and don't relish the idea of me waking up one morning
with them
> in a jar by the side of the bed...So... I have got to thinking - the X2 is
only
> 599 GBP, and that 300 pound difference might well keep me attached to my personals.....
>
> Now I got to thinking - what am I losing for that 300 pounds, so here's a
brief
> comparison of the downgrades, and I hope you lot can help me out in my
descision
> - given that the frame is the same, and the geometry will be very
similar...

> So..
>
> The Fox Vanilla R goes to an X-Fusion w/rebound adjust
> Psylo XC (80-125mm) drops to the Marzocchi EXR Comp (100mm) Truvativ DH BB just drops to the
> normal Truvativ one I lose Shimano Deore hydraulic discs to Avid Mechanical discs XT rear mech
> drops to LX Magnesium pedals to normal Anthracite to Army green colour...
>
> Now I have an XT mech on my current bike, and Marzocchi MXC ECC 100mm
front
> fork, which could come off and replace the stock parts on the X2 - so
really -
> its only the hydraulic discs which are the main losses - but I have read
great
> things about the Avid Mechanical discs.
>
> Actually - when I lay it out like that - you're not really losing out on a massive amount - but
> any advice would be really welcome - the full specs
of both
> of these can be found here
>
> X2 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex2.html
>
> X3 - http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html
>
> Cheers for any help or advice,
>
> CandT

Explain to her the greater value of purchasing better parts 'on' the bike rather than upgrading
later on?!

Mike