HELP Which Specialized??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Flying_tuur, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Flying_tuur

    Flying_tuur Guest

    Hello,

    After looking for some bikes, I finally reduced my choice to 3 bikes... All Specialized, very close
    in price, so I really want to know the main differences.. Please reply, so I can get me a bike and
    start riding in the Scottish hills as from next week, thanks

    The main differences are the front suspension; Manitou Six, Manitou Six Elite, or Manitou Axel
    Elite 80mm ???

    1. will be bought via Evans Cycles online
    2. will be bought at EdinburghBicycles local shop
    3. will be bought from DalesCycles online

    Especially the differences between the RockHopper Comp '02 and the new 'normal' rockhopper interest
    me, since the price is the same...

    4. Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS '02 £549.99
    . A1 XX Premium alloy frame . Manitou Six Elite suspension fork . Specialized Forearm 2 Comp
    chainset . Shimano Deore LX rear derailleur . Shimano Deore front derailleur . Shimano Deore
    shifters . Shimano BR 410 linear pull brakes . Shimano Deore rear hub . Specialized alloy front
    hub . Mavic X-139 rims . Specialized Rockster Pro tyres . Specialized alloy riser bar .
    Specialized alloy stem . Specialized alloy seatpost . Specialized Body Geometry Pro saddle .
    Shimano M505 SPD pedals

    2. Specialized Rockhopper '03 £549.99
    . Specialized A1 Premium alloy frame . Manitou Axel Elite 80mm suspension fork . Specialized
    Strongarm II chainset . Shimano Deore front / Shimano Deore LX rear derailleurs . Shimano Deore
    shifters . Shimano M420 brakes and levers . Specialized Disc front / Shimano M475 Disc rear
    hubs . Mavic X-139 rims . Specialized Roll-X tyres . Specialized XC mid rise alloy bar . alloy
    stem . Specialized Body Geometry saddle . alloy micro adjust seat post . alloy pedals with
    clips and straps

    Thinner-walled butted tubing makes for a lighter and more responsive aluminium frame. New Manitou
    Axel Elite fork featuring Fluid Flow damping control, Microlube ease of maintenance and Reversed
    Arch Technology for improved stiffness and stability. Real Shimano V-brakes. Disc brake compatible
    frame & fork and Shimano disc brake hubs for future upgradability. Mavic rims - the name in
    lightweight dependable hoops. Specialized Roll-X tyres. Great name. Great all-conditions rubber.
    Frame:A1 Premium Aluminium frame with double butted front triangle. Fork:Manitou Axel Elite
    suspension fork. 80mm travel. Adjustable preload. Steel steerer. Fluid Flow damping. Coil spring.
    Wheels:Mavic X139 double-wall alloy rims with machined sidewalls. Shimano M-475 disc hubs. Stainless
    steel spokes. Tyres:Specialized Roll-X 26 x 2.0". Transmission:Shimano Deore 27-speed shifters.
    Shimano Deore LX rear / Deore front gears. Specialize Strongarm 2 chainset with 22/32/44t rings.
    Shimano UN25 sealed bottom bracket. Shimano 11-34 cassette. 1-piece alloy platform pedals with clips
    & straps. Brakes:Shimano M-420 V-brakes. Handlebars:XC mid-rise. Aluminium 10°-rise stem.
    Saddle:Specialized Body Geometry on micro adjust alloy seatpost. Sizes:13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23.
    Colour:Blue.

    3.Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS £449.00

    Product Details Reduced from £549.99 to £449! You want to upgrade your bike without having to make a
    serious downgrade to your credit rating. The A1 FS gives you the super Aggro A1 Premium Aluminum
    sophisticated butting and tubing manipulation for the ultimate in dirt-worthy durability. With an
    80-mm Manitou SIX fork, Shimano derailleurs , a highly reliable braking system and our own Forearm
    II crank you're not going to be needing upgrades to go out and do it in the dirt!

    New, A1-X Premium Aluminum frame with double-butted downtube and seattube Manitou Six Comp 80mm fork
    with alloy steerer Shimano Deore LX rear derailleur with 9-speed cassette

    Tags:

  2. Patrick W.

    Patrick W. Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    .
> [...]
    > micro adjust alloy seatpost. Sizes:13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23. Colour:Blue.
    >

    > 3.Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS £449.00
    >

    > Product Details Reduced from £549.99 to £449! You want to upgrade your bike without having to make
    > a serious downgrade to your credit rating. The A1 FS gives you the super Aggro A1 Premium Aluminum
    > sophisticated butting and tubing manipulation for the ultimate in dirt-worthy durability. With an
    > 80-mm Manitou SIX fork, Shimano derailleurs , a highly reliable braking system
    and
    > our own Forearm II crank you're not going to be needing upgrades to go out and do it in the dirt!
    >
    > New, A1-X Premium Aluminum frame with double-butted downtube and seattube Manitou Six Comp 80mm
    > fork with alloy steerer Shimano Deore LX rear derailleur with 9-speed cassette

    I would absolutely, no questions-asked buy the bike from the dealer. The only thing I would change
    though is the pedals. I'm sure they'll be willing to put on a pair of SPDs for an extra few pounds.
    The three bikes aren't all that different in terms of components, so you wouldn't really save much
    by buying online. I'm a big fan of mailorder for parts, etc. but if you're buying a full bike and
    it's your first bike you really need the support of a local dealer IMHO.

    -Patrick