HELP! Why am I putting myself through this pain?

Steve
I weighed over 25 stone I now weigh a little over 14 stone.
Much of this has been due to cycling.
That, in part to reading Mike Magnusson's
Heft on Wheels
it was a great read and a terrific inspiration!
I would commend it to you.

46kgToDate said:
Steve
I weighed over 25 stone I now weigh a little over 14 stone.
Much of this has been due to cycling.
That, in part to reading Mike Magnusson's
Heft on Wheels
it was a great read and a terrific inspiration!
I would commend it to you.
Wow - well done - it is certainly good to hear other people's tales...

Can I ask how long it took to loose that?

I have now tilted in the 15 stone bracket. 15stone 13lbs 08 ounces.. It was tipping on that and 16.0 so it was close and had to do it a couple of times to settle on the lesser!

Now that I am in that bracket, this will help mentally as each drop is a bigger goal to get to the 14 stone - that will be a day to celebrate, but am sure that will take some time... I keep getting thoughts when it is raining outside should I not just take the car, but I did it and rode into work today.. Boy is it windy outside of my window, but once I AM at work, i HAVE to ride back if I want to get home! hehe

Kia ora Steve,

As I have said before you've picked a bad time of the year to start and it will obviously get worse until spring arrives. The weather here is just starting to turn nice although the wind can be a killer. I'm starting to see ALOT of people commuting on bikes now. I always say to myself "Where were you when the wind chill would strip the skin off your face and the rain would soak you through!!!":p Bah part-timers!!!

Get through the winter Steve and you will be a legend!

I'm an all year round Commuterdin and proud of it!

My ride too is more uphill on the way back. It sucks some days more than others. Make sure you have a snack before you leave though. Its the lack of energy that makes hills worse than they actually are. You'll spank that hill soon.

Jonahhobbes said:
You still cycling Steve?

Hello..

Yes-ish...

I have just had a hell of a lot to do at work over the past two weeks with a product launch and new network etc which means getting in a 6 some mornings and having a late night back to has been easier to jump in the car..

However, I have done it a couple of times in those 2 weeks! I must say it is now a doddle to go to work, although going back was a bit of a strain due to not doing it every day. With my new bike I think the gear cables have settled in now as they kept jumping, took it in for a free service on Sat AM but am just on my way back to collect it.

Next week is the ultimate week for me as the wife needs the car everyday!!

So therefore this will be the week where I will be doing it every day!

It was absolutely freezing when I ride in the mornings and when I go in the car it registers -3 and 0 when I come home. I have just been out this weekend and bought some track suit bottoms which were only £6 compared to £35 for proper cycling bottoms (still will be using padded undies!)

I have also bought some thin long sleeved tops, a hat to go under my helmet and a neck warmer!

All set for winter - ready to take on the world!!! brrr

steve77uk said:
Hello!

Yes still doing it but not this last week just gone as been poorly and off ill with flu / cold - but back at work next week and have gone out and bought some new padded underwear especially! so really there are no excuses!
You shouldn't wear any underwear beneath your bike shorts. This could be contributing to the saddle sores you are getting.

Also make sure your saddle is the right size, and if your LBS lets you, trial others for comfort.

Once you find a comfortable saddle, the fun/pain ratio changes dramatically. Just imagine cycling with no rear ache. It is possible.

Crankyfeet said:
You shouldn't wear any underwear beneath your bike shorts. This could be contributing to the saddle sores you are getting.

Also make sure your saddle is the right size, and if your LBS lets you, trial others for comfort.

Once you find a comfortable saddle, the fun/pain ratio changes dramatically. Just imagine cycling with no rear ache. It is possible.

The saddle sore is no more, i wear padded underwear (proper cycling ones) underneath my tracksuit bottoms or cycling shorts (outers) and it is comfortable, thats why it has become more bearable.

The only 'slight' problem I get is the last hill which is getting easier now. it is all about motivation, but I am quite happy to do it - it is still new to me really, the thought I will be doing this day in day out. The 'to work' journey is fine, it is the getting back that is a bit depressing, well the first half is ok of going home, the second is a bit boring, but hey, i do seem to be getting quicker at it, I just mentally split the journey into sections...

steve77uk said:
The saddle sore is no more, i wear padded underwear (proper cycling ones) underneath my tracksuit bottoms or cycling shorts (outers) and it is comfortable, thats why it has become more bearable.

The only 'slight' problem I get is the last hill which is getting easier now. it is all about motivation, but I am quite happy to do it - it is still new to me really, the thought I will be doing this day in day out. The 'to work' journey is fine, it is the getting back that is a bit depressing, well the first half is ok of going home, the second is a bit boring, but hey, i do seem to be getting quicker at it, I just mentally split the journey into sections...
The great thing about that last little hill is that you'll gradually grow to like it...and its a great way to positively measure your progress....because you will always remember how hard it was to climb when you started.

The process of getting stronger, losing weight, and getting better at climbing technique, can have a tremendous effect on your climbing performance. It is common that cyclists grow to love climbing sometimes as a result of this marked improvement.

5 miles he said. Oh this is a funny one. Your getting your much needed work out in. You've got to love it. This is what happens when you wait 15 years and probably haven't exercised much. The bike has to be the easiest kind of exercise too. 5 miles is like a warm up. I'd feel like a slacker thinking that's enough.

JSWin said:
5 miles he said. Oh this is a funny one. Your getting your much needed work out in. You've got to love it. This is what happens when you wait 15 years and probably haven't exercised much. The bike has to be the easiest kind of exercise too. 5 miles is like a warm up. I'd feel like a slacker thinking that's enough.
A kid was born when this thread was made, now he or she is getting ready for the second grade....In more than 8 years, this guy could be as fit as an olympian for all we know.

You're seriously just out of shape. Don't think you're ****! A negative attitude never helped anybody. I promise that you're good, man.