Help with a bike purchase

tanya3670

May 5, 2016
I am looking to purchase a bike for myself something I have not done in over 20 years. I would like to know the best place to start are Walmart bikes ok? Or should I be shopping at a bike shop to get the best for my money?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video might give you some information.
I'd always recommand going to a bike shop, just for more informations and help. Some bike shops give great warranty and free repairs. A bike shop will also set everything up for you according to your height and riding style (you just need to ask).
I'm a cheap *******, I always ask for a free cycle computer (just a cheap one for $20). And almost every time they give me one! Don't expect walmart to give you free stuff with your purchase.

Short-term: sure, go for the walmart bike
Long-term: can't recommend bike shops more

I am looking to purchase a bike for myself something I have not done in over 20 years. I would like to know the best place to start are Walmart bikes ok? Or should I be shopping at a bike shop to get the best for my money?

we got you covered. check out our recommendation on bikes here www.bikelance.com .The best bike world

A suitable bike for you would be a bike with skinny tires. The bikes with fat tires require more work to move and move slow. You need a bike that is reliable and dependable. You also need a bike you can afford. Do not try to buy a expensive bike to impress people. Nobody cares about what namebrand bike you choose to wear. Just buy a descent bike.

I don't live in the US, so I never shop in Wal-Mart, but I always believed the general advice to avoid buying bikes from retail chains. They're cheaper, but that's because of their lower quality, and why would want a bike that breaks down constantly until you get rid of it after two years, when better one will last up to ten (or even more; not applicable for really rough cycling, of course)? If you need something budget-friendly, better buy a used bike that came from a good manufacturer in the first place. Of course, you need to mind the quality, so always check before buying and insist on trial period during which you could return the bike and get the money back, but if you're careful, you might get a little used bike that will last you for years.

I think a local specialty bike shop would be a better choice, as they would have the parts needed just in case yours get broken along the way. With big general stores like Walmart, it's really hard to get a repair going on, and the warranties may not be as long or as extensive as you may hope. It's a store that doesn't specialize on bikes, so their employees would probably know less than the ones who have spent their adult lives studying bikes and repairing them. Just my two cents though.

Reactions: AryaSnark
@OursIsTheFury That's good advice, I'd rate it more like two dollars :) Dedicated bike shops are good when it comes to spare parts. Another way to make sure you will be able to get them is to buy a bike of an estabilished brand, so you'll be able to buy replacements in any location.