Help with a bike purchase

Originally posted by Jdawg
Does anyone know anything about this bike?

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/comm...FNBR=273&CRPCGNBR=273&CI=1,223,273&TextMode=0

I am about to buy it. I am 6'3" 195. Otherwise my other option is this

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=19083&lsubcat_id=7618&lcat_id=7605&referpage=

But I am scared of the Carbon, seeming I am so heavy.

Thanks for any info.

Your weight should not be an issue,maybe a wee bit more frame flex than a lighter rider... as for carbon, i would not worry, carbon layup technology and bonding composites to alloys are really reliable .

Jdawg

Originally posted by izzodesh
what exactly is ur price range?

cuz airborne always has awesome deals

I'd like to stay under $1600. I have had two new bike builds this Winter. This is going to be an all around Trainer and some racing.

I have heard reports that the Fork of the Carbon frame has wobble issues, I have also heard nothing but good things out of the Douglas. I am wondering if anyone has personal experience with them, or has any ideas.

Thanks for everyones help.

Jdawg

I saw a review of the Douglas Fusion in a magazine a while back. As I recall they said it was a great deal for the price. I wouldn't worry about carbon, you're not THAT heavy.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/comm...FNBR=273&CRPCGNBR=273&CI=1,223,273&TextMode=0

Jdawg

I've heard good things about last year's Douglas Fusion. This year it has a totally different frameset. It is supposesly an upgrade but I have heard no feedback on it. I ruled them out because of thier customer support. They have no geometry data on the 2004 model and when I directly inquired what the standover was on the 55cm, their sales manager replied that the information was not available. As skeptical as I may be to order a bike sight-unseen, I certainly am not going to consider something I do not even know of the sizing! Not sure that I want to do business with an organization with that kind of attitude either. :(

Originally posted by serenaslu
I've heard good things about last year's Douglas Fusion. This year it has a totally different frameset. It is supposesly an upgrade but I have heard no feedback on it. I ruled them out because of thier customer support. They have no geometry data on the 2004 model and when I directly inquired what the standover was on the 55cm, their sales manager replied that the information was not available. As skeptical as I may be to order a bike sight-unseen, I certainly am not going to consider something I do not even know of the sizing! Not sure that I want to do business with an organization with that kind of attitude either. :(

as an addendum: Just received a new Colorado catalog. See that the Fusion is now being offered with DA-10 components for $2299 as well as the Ultegra version. Not listed on their website.

Originally posted by serenaslu
They have no geometry data on the 2004 model and when I directly inquired what the standover was on the 55cm, their sales manager replied that the information was not available. As skeptical as I may be to order a bike sight-unseen, I certainly am not going to consider something I do not even know of the sizing! Not sure that I want to do business with an organization with that kind of attitude either. :(
If it's compact geometry,just where would you measure standover anyway?

I am 230 lbs and have had no problems with a carbon frame. I have a carbon fork with an aluminum steerer. I notice that many of the riders in Paris Roubaix switched to aluminum steerers for this race since they hold up a bit better.

Good Luck

That carbon bike is a great price, I am nearly 100 pound heavier than you and I ride a Carbon Giant, Only thing that took my interest with this frame was the weight and moulded back stays. Its heavy for a Carbon bike at 3 pound, the giant/scott/trek are around 2 pound. also not sure how I feel about moulded back stays....may add a little flex in the back end....mabey.....not really sure without riding it.

I believe in this --> Just decide on how much you are willing to spend and then get a bike around that price. The more you pay, the better the bike. This is the best way to get your first bike (if you are getting your first). Just don't spend to much and reserve some for your next bike cos its going to come really soon. Once you understand bike, you will want a lot more and spend a lot a lot more.

Thought I'd add my piece: I, too, have only heard good things about the Douglas Fusion.

Of all of the 'house' brands, which Scattante and Douglas both are, Douglas is always grabbing headlines for its quality-to-price ratios.

While I wouldn't worry about being heavy and riding a full carbon frame (carbon is pretty strong in this regard), I wouldn't go for the Scattante just because it's $1,300 and full carbon... in fact, I'd be inclined to steer myself in other directions...

Good luck!

I am about to buy it. I am 6'3" 195. Otherwise my other option is this

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=19083&lsubcat_id=7618&lcat_id=7605&referpage=

But I am scared of the Carbon, seeming I am so heavy.

Thanks for any info.

Jdawg

Call me a snob but a 1249 Carbon Fiber bike with Ultegra seems a little scary to me. For what it is worth ... I don't know alot about Douglas other than that they are CC's house brand but they seem to have a pretty good reputation from what I have seen here and on other forums and even in print.