Help with a cycle route to Reigate

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Becca

Hello everyone! I've been lurking since you were all so helpful back in January with the advice
about the Hythe Ferry and the recommendation for the fabulous tea in the New Forest. We're looking
to do both the day we arrive!

Our trip is just about to start and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a pleasant
route for approaching Reigate from the west. We will probably be in Reading just prior to travelling
to Reigate. We're not interested in the quickest or most direct route just a scenic meander through
the countryside.

Also, if anyone can recommend any moderately priced B+B's or other accommodation near the High
Street in Reigate we would be ever so grateful.

Thank you in advance Becca

In message <[email protected]>
[email protected] (Becca) wrote:

> Our trip is just about to start and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a
> pleasant route for approaching Reigate from the west. We will probably be in Reading just prior to
> travelling to Reigate. We're not interested in the quickest or most direct route just a scenic
> meander through the countryside.

South towards Hook ( but if time divert to the Vyne) Odiham, Well, Farnham, Seale, Puttenham,
Compton, Bramley. then Downs Link path to Cranleigh and Capel. Newdigate, Leigh, Reigate.

Enjoy.

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:42:58 -0400, [email protected] (Becca) wrote:

>Hello everyone! I've been lurking since you were all so helpful back in January with the advice
>about the Hythe Ferry and the recommendation for the fabulous tea in the New Forest. We're looking
>to do both the day we arrive!
>
>Our trip is just about to start and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a
>pleasant route for approaching Reigate from the west. We will probably be in Reading just prior to
>travelling to Reigate. We're not interested in the quickest or most direct route just a scenic
>meander through the countryside.

Can't help with the Reading end (Guy lives there and will be along in a minute). Things to avoid:
M25 (can't cycle on it, it'sa motorway) A25 (used to be the main east/west route in that part of
the world). Reigate lies at the foot of the North Downs (a small range of hills) while Reading is
to the North of them, so it looks like you'll have to cross them somewhen. Having said that, for
the last part you could try going along the top of them from around Gomshall, onto Ranmore Common,
then down into Dorking. Flirt briefly with the traffic then find Brockham, Betchworth Reigate Heath
then Reigate

>
>Also, if anyone can recommend any moderately priced B+B's or other accommodation near the High
>Street in Reigate we would be ever so grateful.

There's a selection of B&Bs/small hotels in West Street. Haven't used any of them, but they look
smart enough.

Tim
--
I understand very little of what's being discussed but for some reason it's fascinating.

(Jon Thompson, urs)

Paul Luton wrote:
>
> In message <[email protected]>
> [email protected] (Becca) wrote:
>
> > Our trip is just about to start and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a
> > pleasant route for approaching Reigate from the west. We will probably be in Reading just prior
> > to travelling to Reigate. We're not interested in the quickest or most direct route just a
> > scenic meander through the countryside.
>
> South towards Hook ( but if time divert to the Vyne) Odiham, Well, Farnham, Seale, Puttenham,
> Compton, Bramley. then Downs Link path to Cranleigh and Capel. Newdigate, Leigh, Reigate.
I agree with the suggestion that you divert to the Vyne if you have time.

The B3349 from Reading to Odiham via Hook can get quite busy. Sightlines are poor and traffic is
often impatient to pass. I try to avoid it when cycling.

I would go through Stratfield Saye, Hartley Wespall, Rotherwick, Newnham, Up Nately and Greywell to
get to Odiham from Reading.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:58:33 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can't help with the Reading end (Guy lives there and will be along in a minute).

I'd be most likely to go through Twyford, Shurlock Row, Binfield, Ascot, Sunningdale - anyone know
if you can cross the M3 on Kitemead Lane? - and from then to Byfleet and Horsley, but tat that point
I'd be asking back here for local knowledge :)

It does, however, depend on where in Reading you start.

Nowt wrong with Odiham, either - good tea stop by the airfield (garden centre) - but it's quite a
bit out of the way.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

> It does, however, depend on where in Reading you start.
>
> Nowt wrong with Odiham, either - good tea stop by the airfield (garden centre) - but it's quite a
> bit out of the way.
>
> Guy

Guy, I'm glad you weighed in on this! I have you to thank for the recommendation for the tea in the
New Forest as well as the chip shop near Sonning. Last summer my sister took her kids to Reading and
wasn't able to locate the fish and chips she remembered from her childhood. If you see a red tandem
with mountain bike handlebars and street slicks that is loaded down like a pack mule please wave!

Becca

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> I'd be most likely to go through Twyford, Shurlock Row, Binfield, Ascot, Sunningdale - anyone know
> if you can cross the M3 on Kitemead Lane? - and from then to Byfleet and Horsley, but tat that
> point I'd be asking back here for local knowledge :)
>
> It does, however, depend on where in Reading you start.
>
> Nowt wrong with Odiham, either - good tea stop by the airfield (garden centre) - but it's quite a
> bit out of the way.
I'm not aware of any garden centres near the RAF base at Odiham. Do you mean the Avenue Nurseries
Garden Centre at Lasham?

<http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=469180&y=143845&z=3&sv=469180,143845&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap-
.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

"Becca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> If you see a red tandem with mountain bike handlebars and street slicks that is loaded down like a
> pack mule please wave!

I surely will, and if you see a banana yellow recumbent bike or a red Thorn double-childback
triplet, be sure to wave back :)

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

"Mike K Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> I'm not aware of any garden centres near the RAF base at Odiham. Do you mean the Avenue Nurseries
> Garden Centre at Lasham?

Now you've got me - I'll have to dig out my route cards.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.