Help with an integrated headset

Ken C. M.

Guest
This is a question regarding a Raleigh with the integrated headset.
The bike is a 2005 Raleigh c200.
I have read that some integrated headsets have a race that can't be
replaced and when the race becomes damaged the frame is basically junk.
I would like to know if Raleigh uses the replaceable type or the
non-replaceable type of race.
The bike has about 3200 miles on it. I have not noticed any problems
with the headset yet. But if it is the non-replaceable one I would like
to know before it goes bad on me.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39

Ken C. M. wrote:
> This is a question regarding a Raleigh with the integrated headset.
> The bike is a 2005 Raleigh c200.
> I have read that some integrated headsets have a race that can't be
> replaced and when the race becomes damaged the frame is basically junk.
> I would like to know if Raleigh uses the replaceable type or the
> non-replaceable type of race.
> The bike has about 3200 miles on it. I have not noticed any problems
> with the headset yet. But if it is the non-replaceable one I would like
> to know before it goes bad on me.

Take it apart and look.....I think if it has cart bearings into the
shelves of the headtube, getting spare bearings is a good idea.
Regardless of what system it is, there is something made of steel in
there, a race. Either a cart bearing or a insertable cup.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
>
>>This is a question regarding a Raleigh with the integrated headset.
>>The bike is a 2005 Raleigh c200.
>>I have read that some integrated headsets have a race that can't be
>>replaced and when the race becomes damaged the frame is basically junk.
>>I would like to know if Raleigh uses the replaceable type or the
>>non-replaceable type of race.
>>The bike has about 3200 miles on it. I have not noticed any problems
>>with the headset yet. But if it is the non-replaceable one I would like
>>to know before it goes bad on me.
>>

> Take it apart and look.....I think if it has cart bearings into the
> shelves of the headtube, getting spare bearings is a good idea.
> Regardless of what system it is, there is something made of steel in
> there, a race. Either a cart bearing or a insertable cup.

Thanks for the advise. I was a bit worried about taking it apart, but I
did, and it looks, to me anyway, that it's the insertable cup type, not
the 'old' style but a cup none the less, it's got the bearings, then a
race / cage sort of thing and that is held in place with a little metal
locking ring. All looks pretty serviceable, probably the hardest part
will be the removal of the old 'cups'.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39
Not being a slave to the petrol pump: priceless.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
>
>>This is a question regarding a Raleigh with the integrated headset.
>>The bike is a 2005 Raleigh c200.
>>I have read that some integrated headsets have a race that can't be
>>replaced and when the race becomes damaged the frame is basically junk.
>>I would like to know if Raleigh uses the replaceable type or the
>>non-replaceable type of race.
>>The bike has about 3200 miles on it. I have not noticed any problems
>>with the headset yet. But if it is the non-replaceable one I would like
>>to know before it goes bad on me.
>>

> Take it apart and look.....I think if it has cart bearings into the
> shelves of the headtube, getting spare bearings is a good idea.
> Regardless of what system it is, there is something made of steel in
> there, a race. Either a cart bearing or a insertable cup.

After looking at the chrisking.com site I am pretty sure this is the
type I have:
http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_5.html

Now I have a much better idea what I am dealing with.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39
Not being a slave to the petrol pump: priceless.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
>
>>This is a question regarding a Raleigh with the integrated headset.
>>The bike is a 2005 Raleigh c200.
>>I have read that some integrated headsets have a race that can't be
>>replaced and when the race becomes damaged the frame is basically junk.
>>I would like to know if Raleigh uses the replaceable type or the
>>non-replaceable type of race.
>>The bike has about 3200 miles on it. I have not noticed any problems
>>with the headset yet. But if it is the non-replaceable one I would like
>>to know before it goes bad on me.
>>

> Take it apart and look.....I think if it has cart bearings into the
> shelves of the headtube, getting spare bearings is a good idea.
> Regardless of what system it is, there is something made of steel in
> there, a race. Either a cart bearing or a insertable cup.

Okay this is getting to be a bit much here! From what I have read on
chrisking they call what I have an internal headset, but I can't seem to
find any replacement sets that are specified as internal headset, just
intergrated like this one from nashbar that's made by cane creek:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=13685&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Help?

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> Ken C. M. wrote:
>>
>>> This is a question regarding a Raleigh with the integrated headset.
>>> The bike is a 2005 Raleigh c200.
>>> I have read that some integrated headsets have a race that can't be
>>> replaced and when the race becomes damaged the frame is basically
>>> junk. I would like to know if Raleigh uses the replaceable type or
>>> the non-replaceable type of race.
>>> The bike has about 3200 miles on it. I have not noticed any problems
>>> with the headset yet. But if it is the non-replaceable one I would
>>> like to know before it goes bad on me.
>>>

>> Take it apart and look.....I think if it has cart bearings into the
>> shelves of the headtube, getting spare bearings is a good idea.
>> Regardless of what system it is, there is something made of steel in
>> there, a race. Either a cart bearing or a insertable cup.

> Thanks for the advise. I was a bit worried about taking it apart, but
> I did, and it looks, to me anyway, that it's the insertable cup type,
> not the 'old' style but a cup none the less, it's got the bearings,
> then a race / cage sort of thing and that is held in place with a
> little metal locking ring. All looks pretty serviceable, probably the
> hardest part will be the removal of the old 'cups'.

The old cups don't usually need to be removed unless there's a failure or
uncontrollable squeaking due to non-square faces.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ken C. M. wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> Ken C. M. wrote:
>>
>>> This is a question regarding a Raleigh with the integrated headset.
>>> The bike is a 2005 Raleigh c200.
>>> I have read that some integrated headsets have a race that can't be
>>> replaced and when the race becomes damaged the frame is basically
>>> junk. I would like to know if Raleigh uses the replaceable type or
>>> the non-replaceable type of race.
>>> The bike has about 3200 miles on it. I have not noticed any problems
>>> with the headset yet. But if it is the non-replaceable one I would
>>> like to know before it goes bad on me.
>>>

>> Take it apart and look.....I think if it has cart bearings into the
>> shelves of the headtube, getting spare bearings is a good idea.
>> Regardless of what system it is, there is something made of steel in
>> there, a race. Either a cart bearing or a insertable cup.
>>

> Okay this is getting to be a bit much here! From what I have read on
> chrisking they call what I have an internal headset, but I can't seem
> to find any replacement sets that are specified as internal headset,
> just intergrated like this one from nashbar that's made by cane creek:
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=13685&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
>
> Help?
>
> Ken

Zero-stack (ZS) and Internal (IS) headsets are somewhat interchangeable.
The one you linked to should work fine. Double-check the steerer diameter.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training