Help with average speed

Loridenn

Nov 18, 2004
Hi, Iam new to cycling as an adult...I rode an incredible amount as a kid, but am just getting back to it.I bought a Trek 7300 fx Hybrid and have rode a bunch of times each ride being between 13 and 24 miles. My concern is, does the hybrid bike, like this one restrict speed? I mean Iam in pretty good shape, male, 34 and I ride fairly hard and I only average about 12 m.p.h.... the terrain is average with normal conditions......I know road bike riding averages anywhere between 17and 25 m.p.h. under similar conditions.....I just don't if that bike wasn't made for running or Iam just a weak rider.....

Loridenn said:
.....I know road bike riding averages anywhere between 17and 25 m.p.h. under similar conditions.....I just don't if that bike wasn't made for running or Iam just a weak rider.....
Maybe both,but you aren't going to get max speed and effenciency out of a hybrid. More training and getting rid of any excess bacon can make you better. There is a guy or two that is strong enough to make me look bad, at least for short distances,and they do it on suspension mtb... LOL

Make sure your bike computer is calibrated correctly.
another thing that can affect your avg speed is a lot of stop and go
Try riding in a place that allows you to ride without stopping.
I'm sure your avg will be higher.

you could always change your gearing too, my bike is just a single speed, and in a straight line, i'll cruise around 15mph, top out around 25mph, and that's with 39/14, which is just about the same as 44/16 which is a little more common, but as long as you're topping out in your highest gear, you could always try that, i've been thinking about it, but then i remember all the hills around here and i'm not sure....