HELP with Bike Setup

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Newbee, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Newbee

Newbee New Member

Hi..I am new to the forum and have been out of cycling for some time. I have a real old 12 speed that I am currently riding (wrong size) and am ready to take the plunge on a properly fitted high end bike.

A friend of mine has a very nice aluminum frame made from Easton tubing that is my size and can get for next to nothing. I would like to build this up as a bike that I can race.

I am out of touch with all the new componentry that is currently offered in the market, and this is what I was thinking of doing:

1. Shimano Dura-Ace build kit
    a. Upgrades as follows:

Easton EC-90 bars or Ritchey Pro/OS?
    Easton EC-90 Carbon forks or Alpha Q pro
    Easton EC-70 Stem or ?
    Easton EC-90 Seatpost
    Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    Chris King headset
    Shimano Dura-Ace pedals

My question is: Am I way off base with my selections? I have been trying to do research on the web in conjuction with reading various mags but do not have the experience to know what is for real and what is not.

Please offer any suggestions/additions.

Much appreciated!

Tags:

2. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Nice bike with nice components. Everything you have mentioned is top class componentry, so you won't really be going wrong either way imo.

3. Newbee

Newbee New Member

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input. I guess I am afraid of making a mistake.

I have read that people have trouble reaching the brakes when using the Easton EC90 road bars, and that they have too much flex, and that they don't secure to the stem properly.

4. Newbee

Newbee New Member

Are there any changes anyone would make other than what is listed and why?

Also in regards to the fork would you choose Alpha Q or the Easton?

Thanks

5. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Newbee, I don't think anyone of our members have used Easton products before, hence the limited replies to your question.
    Can I suggest visiting the Road Bike Review website (if you have'nt done so already)?
    There you will find product reviews, usually by users of the products themselves.
    See the pic below for instructions.

Hope it helps.

6. Newbee

Newbee New Member

Vo2,

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it!

7. Vo2

Vo2 Member

As far as the wheel set is concerned, don't even bother looking for anything else. They are awesome and money well spent!

8. Quattro

Quattro New Member

Looks good to me!

9. R2D2

R2D2 New Member

You are going to race on a frame you've never ridden?
    "Properly fitted" doesn't mean just any 58cm frame...

Best if you test ride a bunch of bikes.

10. Newbee

Newbee New Member

R2D2,

I know, your right. I figured since I am getting this (literally) for next to nothing, i'll just invest in a different frame if it doesnt feel right and transfer the components.

58cm CTT? you must be 6'2" or something;)

The frame is in the white and the size/geometry is perfect for me. So it will need to be sand blasted and powder coated.

I always thought Easton tubing was good stuff. The welds are perfect, and it was not home made. It might be 7005 but I am not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

11. Newbee

Newbee New Member

Any thoughts on the Cannondale BB with the Hollowgram Cranks. A local shop owner told me that this is going to be the industry standard.

12. R2D2

R2D2 New Member

It's just that I preach FIT FIT FIT to all that will listen.

I like your choice of components so far.
    Pay particular attention to the wheels and fork. After the frame, these are most important.

The Mavics are fast and firm. If you want a little softer ride, the paired-spoke wheels like the Bontragers would be great.

A couple other forks to consider are the Look HSC3, or the Reynolds Ouzo Pro. Around $300.

I don't know about the Cannondale system, but Dura-Ace will soon be using the new Exterior-bearing Bottom bracket (that the 2003 XTR uses). I haven't ridden my buddy's Fuel100 yet to see how much stiffer the front drivetrain is though.

Ride a few Shimano and Campy bikes to see which system you like better. They are definitely different.

R2

13. MGSuarez

MGSuarez New Member

I would definately go with the Easton bars. I use them and most my friends use them. They cut a little vibration and are not that flexy.

Both of those forks are fine. I really like my Reynolds ouzo pro.

For a stem check out the Ritchey WCS cant beat that for a high quality stem. Especially for the $$$

Easton seatpost is fine. Ec90 is a little short.

Ksyriums are great. Some as good for less money. Velomax are nice. Check out some custom builds. Let me know I know a great builder.

SLR saddle can be brutal.

Cant go wrong with Chris King.

I like the speedplay pedals. If you dont like float. Go with the Zeros.

Good luck!!

14. Pat Lee

Pat Lee New Member

A local framebuilder told me the Easton EA-70 (the aluminum "70" model, I don't know for sure the designation, but it's a current model) really impressed him. He recommended it for building a new bike. If you're concerned about cost at all, you should calculate how much you're paying to shave those few grams. The "70" is supposedly a great post, and it being aluminum instead of carbon saves quite a bit of money and it's still a light post.

Take a look at the Ritchey WCS Road post as well. It has a two-bolt seat clamp. This will make adjusting much nicer than a single bolt clamp if you are finicky about seat angle adjustment.

One more thing. You should decide whether you need a "setback" seatpost or a regular seatpost before you buy one. Some of the best rated posts aren't setback posts and don't work for some people. I'm sure the reverse is true for others.

--Pat.

15. bobobg

bobobg New Member

Reynolds ouzo pro forks are great. Does the frame take a 1" or 1 1/8" fork? Try to find out what rake the manufacturer of the frame recommends.

16. kevcain

kevcain New Member

I am probably one of the biggest guys on this forum. I'm 6'2", 290 lbs. riding a 59cm Raleigh Team frame built up to race as follows:

Campy Record Gruppo
    Easton EC-90 forks & seatpost, bars (non O/S)
    Easton EM-90 Stem
    Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels w/Michelin Pro Race tires
    Terry Fly Gel saddle
    Look CX-6 pedals
    Columbus Integrated Headset

You'll be fine - now go ride the bike!