Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Help with bikes of course

Started by Ihategas · · Last activity · 5 posts · 575 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 January 2006
Last activity
7 January 2006
Original author
Ihategas
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
575
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Alright, so right now I ride a specialized mountain bike, (and i dont moutain bike haha.) I use it for transportation, for work and for life in general, so my question is, should I really by riding a moutain bike? My bike is light-weight and we work as a good team, but could I be more efficient, or better off with another style of bike? Id say that I ride 20-40 miles a day considering what im doing if that helps, I live in a coastal area so im at sea-levelish, but it by no means is flat surroundings. Consider me a bike virgin, im a good rider but know nothing about bikes so all help is appreciated!

  2. If you like what you are riding there is nothing wrog with it.

    If you want to make your commutes faster you would gain some benefit from a road bike, but you would have to determine whether you could deal with the new body position (probably no problem, just some time to adjust).

    You can also do things like change to slicker narrower tires on your mountain bike in order to gain some speed.

    If you look into the commuter forum here or on bikeforums.net and read a bit you will see what other commuters find beneficial.

  3. you only have one bike?
    therapy and lots of it

  4. Ihategas said:

    Alright, so right now I ride a specialized mountain bike, (and i dont moutain bike haha.) I use it for transportation, for work and for life in general, so my question is, should I really by riding a moutain bike? My bike is light-weight and we work as a good team, but could I be more efficient, or better off with another style of bike? Id say that I ride 20-40 miles a day considering what im doing if that helps, I live in a coastal area so im at sea-levelish, but it by no means is flat surroundings. Consider me a bike virgin, im a good rider but know nothing about bikes so all help is appreciated!


    Years ago I got a mountain bike when they were just hitting the market. As it turned out, most of my riding was on pavement (rural roads). I then got a road bike, back then, known as a sport-touring bike. That better-suited me. As time went on and I got older, I thought my bad back would appreciate a recumbant bike. A recumbant was comfortable, like getting into a car, but limited in only spinning as you can do (as far as pedaling is concerned, such as up hillls). I then read about how important bike fit is. I went to a local bike shop and got a fitting that I payed for and had the road bike I currently had changed to fit me better, including a short stem with up angle to it and proper seat height and setback. That got me tuned into riding more comfortably. I then had some money come in and ordered myself a full-custom carbon fiber bike. On it I was even more comfortable than on my previous bike and got into riding even longer miles.

    This is how I evlolved as a cyclist. You are now evolving. Read the forums, consider what you want to do, then get a bike that suits your itch. May the road in front of you always be easy to ride on.

  5. aa9t8 said:

    you only have one bike?
    therapy and lots of it


    I was thinking the exact samt thing:eek: 😄

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.