Help with caad8 sizing, newbie 5ft 7.5

rockhopper1

May 15, 2016
Hey guys,

I go to buy a new caad8 triagra and was sized first with a 54cm frame then he said he recommends a 51cm which he didn't have but I want a second op on this and here are my stats:

I am 5ft 7.5 with sneakers on (true height no male ego here, lol) and wear a 32" length pants in jeans.

he measured my inseam with my shoes off with a saddle spring type gadget and it measured 81.5cm which he said was just over 32"

which is to say I think for my height at 5ft 7.5" my legs are long compared to my torso? with that info could you guys recommend the 51 vs the 54 any op's appreciated.

*I ride a specialized rockhopper in a medium 17.5" frame that fits great. Was sized and bought that in 2007.

Simply go to a shop you trust, get a second opinion from a different bike shop, not a online board. If its a reliable shop, id say the guy must know what he's doing. Again,hard to go on height alone, trust the shop owner or find one that you do.

Simply go to a shop you trust, get a second opinion from a different bike shop, not a online board. If its a reliable shop, id say the guy must know what he's doing. Again,hard to go on height alone, trust the shop owner or find one that you do.

Sound advice it's just the next cannondale bike dealer is well over an hour away and I already called and they have neither the 54 or the 51 caad8 in stock.

Sound advice it's just the next cannondale bike dealer is well over an hour away and I already called and they have neither the 54 or the 51 caad8 in stock.

A bike can be a big investment, unless you have deep pockets. I'd say, go to the other shop to get a fit and ask them to order you a cad 8 in your size. They can size you based off of a bike with similar geometry and brand. Its better to wait a week or so than to have a bike that doesn't fit.

Go to any other local shop that has a couple of 51's, 52's and 54's to try on and maybe test ride.

Once you find a good fit, RECORD the frame spec's / dimensions. Cross them over to the CAAD8. It's better to be a LITTLE bit on the small side and go with a longer stem, use a spacer or two under the stem and have more seatpost sticking out than to buy a frame that is too large for you.

I would rather see you drive 2 hours away to a shop that is interested in getting you on a bike that fits than dealing locally and getting the incorrect fit.

Your local dealer is recommending a frame fit for you in a size he does not have, rather than just sending you out the door on an in-stock 54. That is telling, in itself. It sounds like he is trying to do right by your body and fit.

You wear 32 inseam jeans and are only 5' 7" ? Measure your inseam in stocking feet, legs spread to pedal width, back flat against a wall with a 1-1/2" or so thick book between your legs, simulating a saddle. Forget the jeans measurement. It's meaningless.