Help with choice between two bikes??

hugo

Guest
I was going to buy a Rocky Mountain Vertex10 but I fell in love with
the look of the Kona Scrap. I would upgrade the shifters/front and rear
deraillers. Why is the Kona so much heavier than the Rocky Mountain?
Are they meant for different things? I will be riding on pavement a lot
but also off road on weekends. Anyone have any suggestions? The Vertex
10 costs about 1400.00 here in Canada and the Kona is 1050.00.

Thanks

"hugo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was going to buy a Rocky Mountain Vertex10 but I fell in love with
> the look of the Kona Scrap. I would upgrade the shifters/front and rear
> deraillers. Why is the Kona so much heavier than the Rocky Mountain?
> Are they meant for different things? I will be riding on pavement a lot
> but also off road on weekends. Anyone have any suggestions? The Vertex
> 10 costs about 1400.00 here in Canada and the Kona is 1050.00.
>
> Thanks

Having never ridden either one, I'd recommend the red one. If one isn't
red then you need to widen your scope.

Marty

"hugo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was going to buy a Rocky Mountain Vertex10 but I fell in love with
> the look of the Kona Scrap. I would upgrade the shifters/front and rear
> deraillers. Why is the Kona so much heavier than the Rocky Mountain?
> Are they meant for different things? I will be riding on pavement a lot
> but also off road on weekends. Anyone have any suggestions? The Vertex
> 10 costs about 1400.00 here in Canada and the Kona is 1050.00.
>
> Thanks

I would go with the Kona, it is heavier and cheaper-- better value per
pound.

Steve

SuperPoo wrote:
> "hugo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I was going to buy a Rocky Mountain Vertex10 but I fell in love with
> > the look of the Kona Scrap. I would upgrade the shifters/front and rear
> > deraillers. Why is the Kona so much heavier than the Rocky Mountain?
> > Are they meant for different things? I will be riding on pavement a lot
> > but also off road on weekends. Anyone have any suggestions? The Vertex
> > 10 costs about 1400.00 here in Canada and the Kona is 1050.00.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> I would go with the Kona, it is heavier and cheaper-- better value per
> pound.
>
> Steve

That and it's obviously prettier.

JD

hugo wrote:
> I was going to buy a Rocky Mountain Vertex10 but I fell in love with
> the look of the Kona Scrap. I would upgrade the shifters/front and rear
> deraillers. Why is the Kona so much heavier than the Rocky Mountain?
> Are they meant for different things? I will be riding on pavement a lot
> but also off road on weekends. Anyone have any suggestions? The Vertex
> 10 costs about 1400.00 here in Canada and the Kona is 1050.00.
>
> Thanks

I think that this comes down to usage. If you're doing pavement and
"off-road" - which I assume is XC, the Vertex seems the obvious choice,
even if you replace the Alivio garbage on the Kona. Note that the Kona
comes with two rings and a bashguard instead of three. If you're going
to throw down some can-cans you may not care about this - or the extra
weight - but for XC the Vertex is just made for the application, while
the Scrap is not.

cc

cc wrote:

> I think that this comes down to usage. If you're doing pavement and
> "off-road" - which I assume is XC, the Vertex seems the obvious choice,
> even if you replace the Alivio garbage on the Kona. Note that the Kona
> comes with two rings and a bashguard instead of three. If you're going
> to throw down some can-cans you may not care about this - or the extra
> weight - but for XC the Vertex is just made for the application, while
> the Scrap is not.
>
> cc

I would buy a mountain bike for the type of offroad riding that you
enjoy, and then "make-do" for pavement riding. I would not look to
compromise the off road capabilities to save a bit of weight for
pavement riding. If saving weight is a factor in your offroad style eg
you want a weight weenie xc machine then the pavement riding obviously
benefits.

Factors such as the tyres you use for offroad (and whether you can be
arsed to switch them for slicks when pavement riding) will make as much
of a difference as the weight of the bike and the fork travel.