HELP with choosing cycling road shoes!

GEM0707

Jan 9, 2013
Hi, can anyone recommend a cycling shoe that I can use to commute every day as well as for long bike ride from London to Paris in April. I am just starting training properly and need to get my shoes by end of February so I have a good month and a half to get used to them, any ideas? I have been looking at Shimano so far...

I would definitely consider the Shimano SPD recessed cleat setup with some mountain bike shoe that fits you well. There are also quite a few SPD pedal styles from touring (Like the Shimano A520) to outright MTB pedals with dual sided and serrated platforms for extra traction. I had used the Sidi Dominator shoe which provided a nice ride on the bike (easy to clip in/out), and also doubled well as a short distance walker. I once had to walk 1/4 mile or so on sidewalks and was very glad I didn't have my road shoes. There are many other brands that are SPD compatible so it's easy finding a comfortable good looking shoe. There are also other cleat systems I'm just not that familiar with them.

FWIW. I'm a big fan of Shimano's shoes because of the very broad price range in a vast number of styles ...

You may-or-may-not want a pair that uses traditional shoe laces rather than Velcro closures ...

• just be sure to test fit them with the socks you plan to wear ...
  • you can always snug up a shoe which is a slightly too large by adding a Dr. Scholl's type of liner on top of the shoe's inner sole BUT you cannot make a shoe which is slightly too small larger.

BTW. SIDI shoes are great, too, but the price range starts at a higher price point ...

• SIDI sizing tends to run a little smaller (IMO) than Shimano's equivalent sizing the further you get from size 36 so that a size 45 SIDI is pretty close to a Shimano size 44.

I love to use Shimano shoes while go for cycling..
Even I recommend to all as well.

I will only ride in SIDI cycling shoes--they are stiff and your foot is secure in these shoes---and they are super comfortable. I think they have something in the design that allows just enough flexion so you are comfortable, but stiff enough so your power gets directed into the pedal

Note that what shoes work for one person may feel like kack to another. Shoe's are a choice dependent on a number of things outside the control of the manufacturer, no matter how good the manufacturer's shoes are. The only sure way to find a pair of shoes that fits well is to go to as many bike shops as possible to try on as many different shoes as possible.

I am a HUGE fan of SIDI cycling shoes---they are the only shoes I'll ride in. I feel super safe because the design ensures your foot stays in place and you also stay comfortable

Jenniferawhile said:
I am a HUGE fan of SIDI cycling shoes---they are the only shoes I'll ride in.  I feel super safe because the design ensures your foot stays in place and you also stay comfortable http://www.tourcycling.com/category/65/sidi.aspx
No ****, Jenniferawhile! Who'd have thought that you were a big fan of Sidi, especially after posting a second time a virtual duplicate of a previous post, with the extra-special added bonus of your spam. Now, why don't you be a grown up, respectable human and quit the ****ing spam.