Help with Coffee Crumb Cake

C

Cookie Tonas

Hi All,

I am trying to make a Streusel Coffe Crumb Cake following this recipe:

Streusel Coffee Cake Topping " 1/2 cup brown sugar " 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (sift before
measuring) " 1/4 cup butter, room temperature " 1 teaspoon cinnamon Cake " 1 1/2 cups sifted all-
purpose flour (sift before measuring) " 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder " 1/2 teaspoon salt " 1 egg,
beaten " 3/4 cup sugar " 1/3 cup melted butter " 1/2 cup milk " 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Topping:
In small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients. Blend with fork until crumbly. Set aside. Cake:
Sift 1 1/2 cups sifted flour with baking powder and salt into a bowl. In a medium bowl, beat
together beaten egg and 3/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter. Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour
mixture and mix well. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square or 9-inch layer-cake pan.
Sprinkle topping crumb mixture evenly over batter. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake
tests done. Partially cool in pan on wire rack. Cut coffee cake into squares while still warm.

The topping mix sinks into the batter during baking, so instead of getting a nice crunchy top it is
becomes more a chewy caramel inside the cake.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of how to make it stay on top.

Thanx....

Cookie Tonas wrote:

> The topping mix sinks into the batter during baking, so instead of getting a nice crunchy top it
> is becomes more a chewy caramel inside the cake.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions of how to make it stay on top.
>
> Thanx....

Have you tried to bake the cake portion partially, then add the topping midway and then finish the
baking? Goomba

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:50:48 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Have you tried to bake the cake portion partially, then add the topping midway and then finish the
>baking? Goomba
>

Have not, but sounds like a great idea. I'll try that and post my results.

Thanks...

Goomba38 wrote:

> Have you tried to bake the cake portion partially, then add the topping midway and then finish
> the baking?

Wouldn't that make the half-risen-but-not-yet-firmed portion totally deflate? Guess you could
distribute the topping to hide that, but the density would change a bit through the cake.

To the OP - any reason you want *that* particular recipe? Should be dozens of crumb cake recipes out
there... Why not try a new one?

-j.