Help with Coffee Crumb Cake

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Cookie Tonas, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. Cookie Tonas

    Cookie Tonas Guest

    Hi All,

    I am trying to make a Streusel Coffe Crumb Cake following this recipe:

    Streusel Coffee Cake Topping " 1/2 cup brown sugar " 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (sift before
    measuring) " 1/4 cup butter, room temperature " 1 teaspoon cinnamon Cake " 1 1/2 cups sifted all-
    purpose flour (sift before measuring) " 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder " 1/2 teaspoon salt " 1 egg,
    beaten " 3/4 cup sugar " 1/3 cup melted butter " 1/2 cup milk " 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Topping:
    In small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients. Blend with fork until crumbly. Set aside. Cake:
    Sift 1 1/2 cups sifted flour with baking powder and salt into a bowl. In a medium bowl, beat
    together beaten egg and 3/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter. Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour
    mixture and mix well. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square or 9-inch layer-cake pan.
    Sprinkle topping crumb mixture evenly over batter. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake
    tests done. Partially cool in pan on wire rack. Cut coffee cake into squares while still warm.

    The topping mix sinks into the batter during baking, so instead of getting a nice crunchy top it is
    becomes more a chewy caramel inside the cake.

    I'd appreciate any suggestions of how to make it stay on top.

    Thanx....

    Tags:

  2. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Cookie Tonas wrote:

    > The topping mix sinks into the batter during baking, so instead of getting a nice crunchy top it
    > is becomes more a chewy caramel inside the cake.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any suggestions of how to make it stay on top.
    >
    > Thanx....

    Have you tried to bake the cake portion partially, then add the topping midway and then finish the
    baking? Goomba

  3. Cookietonas

    Cookietonas Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:50:48 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Have you tried to bake the cake portion partially, then add the topping midway and then finish the
    >baking? Goomba

    Have not, but sounds like a great idea. I'll try that and post my results.

    Thanks...

  4. June Oshiro

    June Oshiro Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:

    > Have you tried to bake the cake portion partially, then add the topping midway and then finish
    > the baking?

    Wouldn't that make the half-risen-but-not-yet-firmed portion totally deflate? Guess you could
    distribute the topping to hide that, but the density would change a bit through the cake.

    To the OP - any reason you want *that* particular recipe? Should be dozens of crumb cake recipes out
    there... Why not try a new one?

    -j.