Help with cramping

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by tom0723, Jul 14, 2012.

1. tom0723

tom0723 New Member

I have always battled leg cramps since as long as I have been riding. Seems to be getting worse with age (currently 44). I am careful to stay hydrated and drink Cytomax before, during, and after my rides. Did 40 miles this morning but began fighting the cramps at around 32 miles. Is this just a conditioning thing or am I missing something? Does anyone else share this problem?

Tags:

2. willy81

willy81 Member

get some magnesium supplements

3. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

How often do you ride over 30 miles? Was there anything unusual about the ride - hotter than normal, riding harder than normal, been riding hard recently... that kinda thing.

It goes without saying that cramps happen because the effected area isn't "happy" - but the cause could be anything from conditioning (or lack thereof), tightness caused by sitting all day in a bad posture - and not remedying the situation or stretching to relieve the situation, bad bike fit, bad shoe fit, bad cleat position, bad saddle position (maybe seat too high), handlebars to far away or too low - or even the common cop-out, which I personally think isn't that solution for most, bad hydration and lacking electrolytes.

Since it's been happening since you started riding my bet is with your position on your bike and if you use cycling shoes with cleats, possibly those too. Second on my list of possibly causes - something you do on a somewhat regular basis that's leaving the effected area very tight. We tend to become less flexible with age - mainly because of habits we pick up, such as sitting at work all day and then going home (sitting in a car) and then watching TV - more sitting before retiring to bed and staying in pretty much the same position for another 6 to 8 hours... Unlike when we were kids, running, jumping, climbing tree, playing games... you get the idea.

I recently started having some cramping issues with my adductors and it wasn't caused by dehydration or lack of whacky electrolyte pills. Lack of fitness for the intensity AND duration and slight positioning issues on the bike. It's been a bit of pain (figuratively and literally) to get under control but it's getting there.

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

+[- e^(jπ)] for what Swampy said. Note that cramps can be symptoms for loads of things (metabolic, electrolyte imbalance, orthopedic, circulation, and on, and on, and on). As such if you continue to have problems you should consider seeing a doc. It's important to take in enough fluids when riding (especially in areas where it's hot). For long(ish) rides you may even want or need to consider taking in electrolytes and food.

5. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

should i be worried if the cramps are occurring on only one side? generally left leg below the knee. admittedly bow legged and with slight length difference between right and left, but such localisation?