Help with custom fitting

beison

Feb 18, 2008
So I'm in the market for a new frame. This time, I'm going to try and avoid the way too far forward saddle placement, and the 6cm of spacers my current frame needs to fit me... hehe.

But anyway, I've got the frame I think I want in mind, a company called Habenaro Cycles. It's essentially a custom Ti racing road frame thats super stiff for about 1100 bucks. Good reviews, good communication with the frame builder himself, but he's in flordia, and I'm in Chicago... Does anyone have any suggestions on how get a decent fitting so I can get him the exact measurements of seat tube angles, tube lengths, bottom bracket heights, ect? The problem is, 1100 bucks might be cheap for what I'm getting, but I am a very poor person and I kind of can't afford a 100-300 dollar fitting on like say, a serrotta fitting bike... Anyone got some suggestions on a way I can get a good feel for my measurements?

Thanks!

Getting a professional fitting is almost a must. Aside from the frame size, tt length, etc., there are a whole host of variables for comfort....length of your stem, height of your bars, height of seat post, angle of seatpost, etc. etc. I think most LBS will fit you for free if you buy the bike from them. You first step should be to get the right size bike for you... 47cm, 48 cm, etc. Find out what frame size you need and then go from there. Paying the $100 - $300 may seem expensive, but it is the price you pay if you really want to be fitted for your bike. I don't see any other way around this.

Runce

beison said:
So I'm in the market for a new frame. This time, I'm going to try and avoid the way too far forward saddle placement, and the 6cm of spacers my current frame needs to fit me... hehe.

But anyway, I've got the frame I think I want in mind, a company called Habenaro Cycles. It's essentially a custom Ti racing road frame thats super stiff for about 1100 bucks. Good reviews, good communication with the frame builder himself, but he's in flordia, and I'm in Chicago... Does anyone have any suggestions on how get a decent fitting so I can get him the exact measurements of seat tube angles, tube lengths, bottom bracket heights, ect? The problem is, 1100 bucks might be cheap for what I'm getting, but I am a very poor person and I kind of can't afford a 100-300 dollar fitting on like say, a serrotta fitting bike... Anyone got some suggestions on a way I can get a good feel for my measurements?

Thanks!

Well, I've actually had a few fittings over the past few months from the LBS that sponsors us. My current bike fits as well as it can, I'm a 53 cm, but my body is built wierd. Stock frames built for the general public don't fit as well as they could. Hence the need for a custom frame. It's not about the length of the stem or seat post I get... It's about the actual length of the top tube compared to the head tube, and what angles they make with eachother. Stuff like that. And that's why its cruital that I know how to get proper readings for stuff like that.

You should go get a fitting at your LBS and since this frame will be custom built for you, I'd imagine that it is imperative that you get all of the measurements correct.

beison said:
Well, I've actually had a few fittings over the past few months from the LBS that sponsors us. My current bike fits as well as it can, I'm a 53 cm, but my body is built wierd. Stock frames built for the general public don't fit as well as they could. Hence the need for a custom frame. It's not about the length of the stem or seat post I get... It's about the actual length of the top tube compared to the head tube, and what angles they make with eachother. Stuff like that. And that's why its cruital that I know how to get proper readings for stuff like that.