Help with dinner party menu

Ginny Sher

Guest
I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
He has asked for cheeescake and I've decided to try my hand at
Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.

W're also having pork ribs. Please don't flame me because I'll be
using a store bought BBQ sauce, preparing them in an oven and
finishing on a grill. We 'test drove' this method last week and were
very satisfied with the results. Yesterday I found some near perfect
artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We ate them last
night and I plan to serve them again this weekend. I'll be making the
Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with jalapeno pepper too.

My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side dishes
and appetizers? The meal is already heavy with the ribs and a very
rich dessert. I was thinking of potato salad (also heavy) but not
sure if that is the best choice. If any of you have a suggestion for
something else including any appetizers, I'd much appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Ginny

Note: the BBQ sauce is more smokey than sweet, if that matters...

"Ginny Sher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
> He has asked for cheeescake and I've decided to try my hand at
> Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.
>
> W're also having pork ribs. Please don't flame me because I'll be
> using a store bought BBQ sauce, preparing them in an oven and
> finishing on a grill. We 'test drove' this method last week and were
> very satisfied with the results. Yesterday I found some near perfect
> artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We ate them last
> night and I plan to serve them again this weekend. I'll be making the
> Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with jalapeno pepper too.
>
> My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side dishes
> and appetizers?

IMHO ribs almost demand a good recipe slaw and baked beans are of course
always appropriate. I would use a vinagar not creamy based slaw unless you
are using a spicy bbq sauce.

Lets see:

Ribs
Slaw
Artichokes
Beans
Cornbread

I think I would skip the appetizer and serve the artichokes alone as a
first course.

Dimitri

Ginny Sher <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
> He has asked for cheeescake and I've decided to try my hand at
> Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.
>
> W're also having pork ribs. Please don't flame me because I'll be
> using a store bought BBQ sauce, preparing them in an oven and
> finishing on a grill. We 'test drove' this method last week and were
> very satisfied with the results. Yesterday I found some near perfect
> artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We ate them last
> night and I plan to serve them again this weekend. I'll be making the
> Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with jalapeno pepper too.
>
> My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side dishes
> and appetizers? The meal is already heavy with the ribs and a very
> rich dessert. I was thinking of potato salad (also heavy) but not
> sure if that is the best choice. If any of you have a suggestion for
> something else including any appetizers, I'd much appreciate it.
>
> Many thanks,
> Ginny
>
> Note: the BBQ sauce is more smokey than sweet, if that matters...

I'd suggest veggies...grilled asparagus is easy and fast. Take some
asparagus, toss with a oil you like and sprinkle well with salt. Grill on
high turning the asparagus often. When grill mark appear they are
done(maybe 2-3 minutes). Also coleslaw goes well with ribs and can be
made ahead of time.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

Store bought BBQ! STORE BOUGHT BBQ!!! My God woman, what are you
thinking???!!!!
O yes, you asked us not to flame you! Sorry!
Seriously, sounds like a great dinner. I agree with the other
reccommendations except about the slaw. Nothing's as good with BBQ as a
nice creamy cole slaw!
And the idea for grilled asparagus is also great. I've grilled them the
way Hahabogus does, but I think they come out better if they're
blanched first. Takes a few minutes.

Back to the BBQ. I make a home made tomato based BBQ that gets
consistent raves. Still not as good and the Holy Grail of BBQ, Texas
style, as at Smoliks' in Karnes City, Tx., but very good. I just throw
together some combintion of the following:

Ketchup
Worstechire Sauce (sp?)
Mustard (the good stuff, not the yellow stuff)
dried mustard
Molasses
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Ground Ginger
Tobasco or ground dried peppers
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste

It would be even better if I took the time to grill some finely chopped
onions and garlic, instead of the powdered stuff. Might just do that
next time I make up a batch. It keeps a few weeks in the fridge.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 06:16:34 -0800, Ginny Sher <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
>He has asked for cheeescake and I've decided to try my hand at
>Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.
>
>W're also having pork ribs. Please don't flame me because I'll be
>using a store bought BBQ sauce, preparing them in an oven and
>finishing on a grill. We 'test drove' this method last week and were
>very satisfied with the results. Yesterday I found some near perfect
>artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We ate them last
>night and I plan to serve them again this weekend. I'll be making the
>Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with jalapeno pepper too.
>
>My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side dishes
>and appetizers? The meal is already heavy with the ribs and a very
>rich dessert. I was thinking of potato salad (also heavy) but not
>sure if that is the best choice. If any of you have a suggestion for
>something else including any appetizers, I'd much appreciate it.
>
>Many thanks,
>Ginny
>
>Note: the BBQ sauce is more smokey than sweet, if that matters...

How about a coleslaw? It needn't been heavily laden with mayo, but
dressed lightly. A fruit salad might also make a nice side, or just an
interesting tossed salad will do.

Boron

Dog3 wrote:
> Ginny Sher <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
>> He has asked for cheeescake and I've decided to try my hand at
>> Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.
>>
>> W're also having pork ribs. Please don't flame me because I'll be
>> using a store bought BBQ sauce, preparing them in an oven and
>> finishing on a grill. We 'test drove' this method last week and were
>> very satisfied with the results. Yesterday I found some near perfect
>> artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We ate them last
>> night and I plan to serve them again this weekend. I'll be making
>> the Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with jalapeno pepper too.
>>
>> My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side
>> dishes and appetizers? The meal is already heavy with the ribs and
>> a very rich dessert. I was thinking of potato salad (also heavy)
>> but not sure if that is the best choice. If any of you have a
>> suggestion for something else including any appetizers, I'd much
>> appreciate it.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Ginny
>>
>> Note: the BBQ sauce is more smokey than sweet, if that matters...
>>

> If you can find decent corn I'd say grill it and serve up some cole
> slaw.
>
> Michael

I agree, Michael. Corn and asparagus and the meal should be complete.

kili

In article <[email protected]>,
> My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side dishes
> and appetizers? The meal is already heavy with the ribs and a very
> rich dessert. I was thinking of potato salad (also heavy)

Cole slaw? Baked beans? Just think of all that fiber.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

In article <[email protected]>, Boron Elgar
<[email protected]> wrote:
(OP snipped)
> How about a coleslaw? It needn't been heavily laden with mayo, but
> dressed lightly. A fruit salad might also make a nice side, or just an
> interesting tossed salad will do.
>
> Boron

Am I the only person who makes an oil and vinegar dressing for coleslaw?
I can't put my hands on Mom's recipe at the moment but it was oil,
vinegar, sugar, grated onion, celery seed, and paprika. I prefer the
oil & vinegar kind over mayo-based.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Boron Elgar
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> (OP snipped)
>> How about a coleslaw? It needn't been heavily laden with mayo, but
>> dressed lightly. A fruit salad might also make a nice side, or just an
>> interesting tossed salad will do.
>>
>> Boron

> Am I the only person who makes an oil and vinegar dressing for coleslaw?
> I can't put my hands on Mom's recipe at the moment but it was oil,
> vinegar, sugar, grated onion, celery seed, and paprika. I prefer the
> oil & vinegar kind over mayo-based.
> --
> -Barb,

Nope - this is one of my favorites:

This is a great one it comes from the American Jewish cookbook.

Caution when cooking with vinegar DON'T TAKE A BIG WHIFF!

Snappy Cole slaw dressing (cooked - vinegar)

1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup vinegar ( I like cider)
1/2 Teaspoon powdered mustard
1/2 Teaspoon celery seed
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/8 Teaspoon paprika
1/8 Teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 Cup sugar

In a sauce pan blend all ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 to 3
minutes and remove from heat. Cool slightly and pour over Slaw. Toss and
refrigerate.

This ends up being a very "bitey or sharp" dressing you may want to cut
down on the pepper and/or increase the ratio of sugar.

Dimitri

Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I don't know where Ginny is located but decent tomatoes on the grill
> would be terrific. Tomatoes are lousy here. Drizzle olive oil, throw
> on some S&P and basil or oregano and you're set.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
> violence.
> -- Hebrew proverb

Or grilled red onion slices.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:30:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Boron Elgar
><[email protected]> wrote:
>(OP snipped)
>> How about a coleslaw? It needn't been heavily laden with mayo, but
>> dressed lightly. A fruit salad might also make a nice side, or just an
>> interesting tossed salad will do.
>>
>> Boron

>Am I the only person who makes an oil and vinegar dressing for coleslaw?
>I can't put my hands on Mom's recipe at the moment but it was oil,
>vinegar, sugar, grated onion, celery seed, and paprika. I prefer the
>oil & vinegar kind over mayo-based.

I make it that way, too.

I also have a similar recipe that eliminates the oil & uses mayo &
sour cream. I like them both. Oh...I also add carrots for color &
maybe some purple cabbage, too.

Boron

Ginny Sher wrote:
> I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
> He has asked for cheeescake and I've decided to try my hand at
> Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.
>
> W're also having pork ribs. Please don't flame me because I'll be
> using a store bought BBQ sauce, preparing them in an oven and
> finishing on a grill. We 'test drove' this method last week and were
> very satisfied with the results. Yesterday I found some near perfect
> artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We ate them last
> night and I plan to serve them again this weekend. I'll be making the
> Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with jalapeno pepper too.
>
> My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side dishes
> and appetizers? The meal is already heavy with the ribs and a very
> rich dessert. I was thinking of potato salad (also heavy)

Ginny, you could make that a German style potato salad; that is,
vinegar-based and served hot, rather than one with a heavier creamy sauce.
I love the addition of artichokes; gotta pick up some more next time I go to
the store.

Jill

"Ginny Sher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
> He has asked for cheeescake and I've decided to try my hand at
> Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.
>
> W're also having pork ribs. Please don't flame me because I'll be
> using a store bought BBQ sauce, preparing them in an oven and
> finishing on a grill. We 'test drove' this method last week and were
> very satisfied with the results. Yesterday I found some near perfect
> artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We ate them last
> night and I plan to serve them again this weekend. I'll be making the
> Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with jalapeno pepper too.
>
> My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side dishes
> and appetizers? The meal is already heavy with the ribs and a very
> rich dessert. I was thinking of potato salad (also heavy) but not
> sure if that is the best choice. If any of you have a suggestion for
> something else including any appetizers, I'd much appreciate it.
>
> Many thanks,
> Ginny
>
> Note: the BBQ sauce is more smokey than sweet, if that matters...

Ginny,
What about a cous cous pilaf? It's simple, light, and tastes great. All you
need is the cous cous, some chicken stock, and some veggies, really. I use
the Near East 5 minute cous cous. Lightly sauté the veggies and cous cous in
a little olive oil or butter, add the stock, put a lid on and turn it off. 5
minutes later, you got a side dish. I use diced roma tomatoes, zucchini,
yellow squash, asparagus tips, green beans. You can use any veggies you like
really.
A salad would likely be nice with the ribs too. Mixed greens, I'd use a
vinaigrette that compliments the BBQ sauce.

kimberly

"Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snip>

>> Note: the BBQ sauce is more smokey than sweet, if that matters...

> Ginny,
> What about a cous cous pilaf? It's simple, light, and tastes great. All
> you
> need is the cous cous, some chicken stock, and some veggies, really.

I like using diced sun dried tomatoes.......

Dimitri

Ginny Sher wrote:
> I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
> [snip] I've decided to try my hand at
> Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.
>
> W're also having pork ribs. [snip] Yesterday I found some near
> perfect artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We
> ate them last night and I plan to serve them again this weekend.
> I'll be making the Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with
> jalapeno pepper too.
>
> My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side
> dishes and appetizers?

Appetizers include drinks, right? What's your weather like? If warm,
chips, guacamole, salsa, beer and sangría should do. If folks will be
indoors, then a cheese log, crackers, a smoked salmon spread (recipe
follows), beer and wine.

You've got ribs, cornbread, artichokes and cheesecake. Besides the
other good suggestions how about considering a cold pasta salad with
shrimp? Can be made ahead and is slightly more festive than beans and
corn.

Here's a smoked salmon spread:

6 - 8 oz. smoked salmon, preferably hot cured rather than nova
8 oz. cream cheese
2 TB milk
2 TB lemon juice
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2 TB fresh or 1 TB dried dill weed
Louisiana red hot sauce, e.g., Frank's, to taste

Mix all together well in advance, chill, bring back to room temp for
serving. Fresh dill works way better in this than dried, and the red
onion is NOT optional. If you're making large quantities, you can even
mix in some canned smoked salmon if you can find a good product.
Trader Joe's has an alder smoked salmon in small cans that isn't bad
when the good stuff is not available.

Dimitri replied to Ginny:

>> I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
>> He has asked for cheeescake and I've decided to try my hand at
>> Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.
>>
>> W're also having pork ribs. Please don't flame me because I'll be
>> using a store bought BBQ sauce, preparing them in an oven and
>> finishing on a grill. We 'test drove' this method last week and were
>> very satisfied with the results. Yesterday I found some near perfect
>> artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We ate them last
>> night and I plan to serve them again this weekend. I'll be making the
>> Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with jalapeno pepper too.
>>
>> My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side dishes
>> and appetizers?

> IMHO ribs almost demand a good recipe slaw and baked beans are of course
> always appropriate. I would use a vinagar not creamy based slaw unless you
> are using a spicy bbq sauce.
>
> Lets see:
>
> Ribs
> Slaw
> Artichokes
> Beans
> Cornbread
>
> I think I would skip the appetizer and serve the artichokes alone as a
> first course.

Of all the replies, I think this one was the best. Others have suggested
asparagus or grilled vegetables, but if you're already serving the
artichokes, this strikes me as a bit of overkill. If there will be more than
eight guests or so, then maybe add the other vegetables, but as it is, I'd
stick with the menu that Dimitri gives.

You haven't given much in the way of clues regarding the characteristics of
the barbecue sauce you intend to use, and it can make a BIG difference in
what accompanies it well. Take note of Dimitri's comment about matching the
barbecue sauce to the cole slaw dressing: If your sauce is spicy, you'd want
a creamy dressing; if your sauce is sweet, you'd want a vinegar-based
dressing.

I'd consider adding the potato salad anyway, just because potato salad is
usually *expected* at barbecues. Yes, it's a bit on the heavy side, but I'm
assuming that your guests aren't going to be *forced* to load up on it. If
you Google in this newsgroup, you'll find plenty of potato salad
discussions. As with the cole slaw dressing, you'd want to pick a potato
salad recipe which complements the barbecue sauce. You could also put out a
plate of assorted pickles; I think that barbecue and pickles go together
well. And don't forget lots of squishy white bread.

Bob

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 14:43:02 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Ginny Sher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I'm having a small dinner party this weekend for a friend's birthday.
>> He has asked for cheeescake and I've decided to try my hand at
>> Damsel's Pecan Cheesecake made with Hag's Toffee Nut Crust.
>>
>> W're also having pork ribs. Please don't flame me because I'll be
>> using a store bought BBQ sauce, preparing them in an oven and
>> finishing on a grill. We 'test drove' this method last week and were
>> very satisfied with the results. Yesterday I found some near perfect
>> artichokes at a local produce store for $1.49 each. We ate them last
>> night and I plan to serve them again this weekend. I'll be making the
>> Cook's Illustrated cornbread recipe with jalapeno pepper too.
>>
>> My question is what else to serve with this meal as far as side dishes
>> and appetizers?

>IMHO ribs almost demand a good recipe slaw and baked beans are of course
>always appropriate. I would use a vinagar not creamy based slaw unless you
>are using a spicy bbq sauce.
>
>Lets see:
>
>Ribs
>Slaw
>Artichokes
>Beans
>Cornbread
>
> I think I would skip the appetizer and serve the artichokes alone as a
>first course.
>

>Dimitri

I'm almost overwhelmed by all the good suggestions. Dimitri, I very
much like the idea of serving the artichoke as a first course and
skipping the appetizer. Done!

I think I will go with some baked beans and cole slaw since those
items were recommended most often. Someone said to look into corn,
but that isn't a good option this time of year in my area...

Thank you all for your ideas and help.

Ginny

<snip>

>Appetizers include drinks, right? What's your weather like? If warm,
>chips, guacamole, salsa, beer and sangría should do. If folks will be
>indoors, then a cheese log, crackers, a smoked salmon spread (recipe
>follows), beer and wine.

Oh... yes, drinks. I was on a scuba diving trip in Cozumel, Mexico
about a week ago and picked up a bottle of Kahlua for $9. I was
thinking... Black Russians. It's been MANY years since I've had one
of those.

Ginny

Ginny Sher wrote:

> Oh... yes, drinks. I was on a scuba diving trip in Cozumel, Mexico
> about a week ago and picked up a bottle of Kahlua for $9. I was
> thinking... Black Russians. It's been MANY years since I've had one
> of those.

How about White Russians, too? 2 oz. vodka, 1 oz. Kahlua, fill tall
glass with light cream.

Kahlua is also really good over ice cream, either vanilla or one of the
coffee-flavored ones. But I guess not till a couple of days after your
cheesecake.

On 9 Mar 2005 16:32:52 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ginny Sher wrote:
>>
>> Oh... yes, drinks. I was on a scuba diving trip in Cozumel, Mexico
>> about a week ago and picked up a bottle of Kahlua for $9. I was
>> thinking... Black Russians. It's been MANY years since I've had one
>> of those.

>How about White Russians, too? 2 oz. vodka, 1 oz. Kahlua, fill tall
>glass with light cream.
>
>Kahlua is also really good over ice cream, either vanilla or one of the
>coffee-flavored ones. But I guess not till a couple of days after your
>cheesecake.

I did consider White Russians and will probably get some light cream
for that, but initially I was thinking enough is enough. I'll be
waddling into the gym on Monday morning as it is... *if* I can squeeze
into my shorts.

The Kahlua bottle is 980 ml. I'm not sure what that equates to in
litres, but it's a big honkin' bottle, that's for sure. :)

Ginny