Help with doppler study measurements, please?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by D'Huit, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. D'Huit

    D'Huit Guest

    i'm sitting here with my 1999 echocardiogram report that has all of my measurements indicated and
    the peremeter standards alongside the numbers in mm or %. i just had another doppler study done and
    there are no standards to compare my measurements with and my measurements on this study are in cm
    (easy enough to convert). and everything on this new report is in abbreviations (compared to 1999's)
    . . .grrrr.... does anybody know of a web site i can check this report out against?

    and what do these abbreviations mean? and what are the normal ranges for these measurements? please--

    from the 2-D measurements list: RVd IVSd IVSs LVd LVs PWd PWs Ao root LA

    from the aotic valve section Max. Vel Max. PG

    from the mitral valve section Peak E Peak A
    E/A

    thank you, kate

    Tags:

  2. d'huit wrote:

    > i'm sitting here with my 1999 echocardiogram report that has all of my measurements indicated and
    > the peremeter standards alongside the numbers in mm or %. i just had another doppler study done
    > and there are no standards to compare my measurements with and my measurements on this study are
    > in cm (easy enough to convert). and everything on this new report is in abbreviations (compared to
    > 1999's) . . .grrrr.... does anybody know of a web site i can check this report out against?
    >
    > and what do these abbreviations mean? and what are the normal ranges for these measurements? please--
    >
    > from the 2-D measurements list: RVd IVSd IVSs LVd LVs PWd PWs Ao root LA
    >
    > from the aotic valve section Max. Vel Max. PG
    >
    > from the mitral valve section Peak E Peak A
    > E/A
    >
    > thank you, kate

    Echocardiogram studies are more than just the measurements, Kate.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A26B16397

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  3. D'Huit

    D'Huit Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    d'huit wrote:

    > i'm sitting here with my 1999 echocardiogram report that has all of my measurements indicated and
    > the peremeter standards alongside the numbers
    in
    > mm or %. i just had another doppler study done and there are no standards to compare my
    > measurements with and my measurements on this study are in
    cm
    > (easy enough to convert). and everything on this new report is in abbreviations (compared to
    > 1999's) . . .grrrr.... does anybody know of a web site i can check this report out against?
    >
    > and what do these abbreviations mean? and what are the normal ranges for these measurements? please--
    >
    > from the 2-D measurements list: RVd IVSd IVSs LVd LVs PWd PWs Ao root LA
    >
    > from the aotic valve section Max. Vel Max. PG
    >
    > from the mitral valve section Peak E Peak A
    > E/A
    >
    > thank you, kate

    Echocardiogram studies are more than just the measurements, Kate.

    i understand that, Andrew--- from a velocity, reguritation, function, effusion, enlargement,
    cardiomyopathy and insufficiency standpoint; and that they cannot determine if or when a heart
    attack has occurred. or do you mean your statement in another way? however, i wish to compare the
    measurements in my two studies, which are five years apart, for my own knowledge base.

    kate

  4. d'huit wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... d'huit wrote:
    >
    > > i'm sitting here with my 1999 echocardiogram report that has all of my
    > > measurements indicated and the peremeter standards alongside the numbers
    > in
    > > mm or %. i just had another doppler study done and there are no standards to
    > > compare my measurements with and my measurements on this study are in
    > cm
    > > (easy enough to convert). and everything on this new report is in
    > > abbreviations (compared to 1999's) . . .grrrr.... does anybody know of a web
    > > site i can check this report out against?
    > >
    > > and what do these abbreviations mean? and what are the normal ranges for
    > > these measurements? please--
    > >
    > > from the 2-D measurements list: RVd IVSd IVSs LVd LVs PWd PWs Ao root LA
    > >
    > > from the aotic valve section Max. Vel Max. PG
    > >
    > > from the mitral valve section Peak E Peak A
    > > E/A
    > >
    > > thank you, kate
    >
    > Echocardiogram studies are more than just the measurements, Kate.
    >
    > i understand that, Andrew--- from a velocity, reguritation, function, effusion,
    > enlargement, cardiomyopathy and insufficiency standpoint; and that they cannot
    > determine if or when a heart attack has occurred.

    One can make an educated guess by the way the heart looks in the area of
    the "scar."

    > or do you mean your statement in another way? however, i wish to compare the
    > measurements in my two studies, which are five years apart, for my own
    > knowledge base.

    Why hasn't your cardiologist made the comparisons for you?

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A26B16397

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  5. D'Huit

    d'huit wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > d'huit wrote:
    >
    > > i'm sitting here with my 1999 echocardiogram report that
    > > has all of my measurements indicated and the peremeter
    > > standards alongside the numbers
    > in
    > > mm or %. i just had another doppler study done and there
    > > are no
    standards
    > > to compare my measurements with and my measurements on
    > > this study are in
    > cm
    > > (easy enough to convert). and everything on this new
    > > report is in abbreviations (compared to 1999's) . .
    > > .grrrr.... does anybody know of
    > > web site i can check this report out against?
    > >
    > > and what do these abbreviations mean? and what are the
    > > normal ranges for these measurements? please--
    > >
    > > from the 2-D measurements list: RVd IVSd IVSs LVd LVs
    > > PWd PWs Ao root LA
    > >
    > > from the aotic valve section Max. Vel Max. PG
    > >
    > > from the mitral valve section Peak E Peak A
    > > E/A
    > >
    > > thank you, kate
    >
    > Echocardiogram studies are more than just the
    > measurements, Kate.
    >
    > i understand that, Andrew--- from a velocity,
    > reguritation, function, effusion, enlargement,
    > cardiomyopathy and insufficiency standpoint; and
    that
    > they cannot determine if or when a heart attack has
    > occurred.

    One can make an educated guess by the way the heart looks in
    the area of the "scar."

    ***only if there is damage visible in the doppler imagery.

    > or do you mean your statement in another way? however, i
    > wish to compare the measurements in my two studies, which
    > are five years apart, for my own knowledge base.

    Why hasn't your cardiologist made the comparisons for you?

    ****actually, she did give her overview comparison, which to
    her didn't show us anything new. and that was good news. but
    that has nothing to do with what i requested of the
    newsgroup.

    i want to correlate the details; enjoy doing this kind of
    thing myself and want to see if i can make the pieces line
    up---kinda like balancing a checkbook to the penny and
    understanding the process by doing<smile>. besides which, i
    wouldn't impose on a doctor's valuable time making her
    convert values (measurements and abbreviations) and
    recompile them on another sheet, like a database chart, just
    so i can look at them---which also would take away from the
    fun of doing it myself.

    why are you withholding information about how to define
    simple abbreviations, if you know how, or know of a link on
    how to do so, and asking questions instead?

    kate

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A26B16397

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  6. D'Huit

  7. d'huit wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > ws.teranews.com... d'huit wrote:
    >
    > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]... d'huit wrote:
    > >
    > > > i'm sitting here with my 1999 echocardiogram report
    > > > that has all of my measurements indicated and the
    > > > peremeter standards alongside the numbers
    > > in
    > > > mm or %. i just had another doppler study done and
    > > > there are no
    > standards
    > > > to compare my measurements with and my measurements on
    > > > this study are in
    > > cm
    > > > (easy enough to convert). and everything on this new
    > > > report is in abbreviations (compared to 1999's) . .
    > > > .grrrr.... does anybody know of
    > > > web site i can check this report out against?
    > > >
    > > > and what do these abbreviations mean? and what are the
    > > > normal ranges for these measurements? please--
    > > >
    > > > from the 2-D measurements list: RVd

    Right ventricle during diastole.

    > > > IVSd

    Interventricular septum during diastole.

    > > > IVSs

    Interventricular septum during systole.

    > > > LVd

    Left ventricle during diastole.

    > > > LVs

    Left ventricle during systole.

    > > > PWd

    Posterior wall (of LV) during diastole.

    > > > PWs

    Posterior wall (of LV) during systole.

    > > > Ao root

    Aortic root (typically during systole).

    > > > LA

    Left atrium.

    > > > from the aotic valve section Max. Vel

    Maximum velocity.

    > > > Max. PG

    Maximum peak gradient.

    > > > from the mitral valve section Peak E

    peak early mitral inflow

    > > > Peak A

    peak late mitral inflow (during atrial contraction).

    > > > E/A

    ratio of E to A.

    > > > thank you,

    Praises to God, Kate.

    > > > kate
    > >
    > > Echocardiogram studies are more than just the
    > > measurements, Kate.
    > >
    > > i understand that, Andrew--- from a velocity,
    > > reguritation, function, effusion, enlargement,
    > > cardiomyopathy and insufficiency standpoint; and
    > that
    > > they cannot determine if or when a heart attack has
    > > occurred.
    >
    > One can make an educated guess by the way the heart looks
    > in the area of the "scar."
    >
    > ***only if there is damage visible in the doppler imagery.

    If there is significant damage, it should be visible in the
    2D echo images rather than in the doppler images.

    > > or do you mean your statement in another way? however,
    > > i wish to compare the measurements in my two studies,
    > > which are five years apart, for my own knowledge base.
    > >

    > Why hasn't your cardiologist made the comparisons for you?
    >
    > ****actually, she did give her overview comparison, which
    > to her didn't show us anything new. and that was good
    > news. but that has nothing to do with what i requested of
    > the newsgroup.

    This newsgroup is about discussion.

    > i want to correlate the details; enjoy doing this kind of
    > thing myself and want to see if i can make the pieces line
    > up---kinda like balancing a checkbook to the penny and
    > understanding the process by doing<smile>.

    I don't see a problem with what you are wanting.

    > besides which, i wouldn't impose on a doctor's valuable
    > time making her convert values (measurements and
    > abbreviations) and recompile them on another sheet, like a
    > database chart, just so i can look at them---which also
    > would take away from the fun of doing it myself.

    Aren't you either directly or indirectly paying for your
    doctor's time?

    > why are you withholding information about how to define
    > simple abbreviations, if you know how, or know of a link
    > on how to do so, and asking questions instead?

    I haven't unless you consider discussion an act of
    withholding information.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A26B16397

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  8. D'Huit

    D'Huit Guest

    i appreciate your time, effort and energies in response to
    my request, Andrew. this was most helpful to me. one last
    request, if you would be inclined and as kind as you have
    already been. what do these suffixes/additions to the
    millimeter abreviations mean?

    mm/s
    mmi/S mmHg

    appreciatively, kate

    d'huit wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > ws.teranews.com... d'huit wrote:
    >
    > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]... d'huit wrote:
    > >
    > > > i'm sitting here with my 1999 echocardiogram report
    > > > that has all of my measurements indicated and the
    > > > peremeter standards alongside the
    numbers
    > > in
    > > > mm or %. i just had another doppler study done and
    > > > there are no
    > standards
    > > > to compare my measurements with and my measurements on
    > > > this study are
    in
    > > cm
    > > > (easy enough to convert). and everything on this new
    > > > report is in abbreviations (compared to 1999's) . .
    > > > .grrrr.... does anybody know
    of
    > > > web site i can check this report out against?
    > > >
    > > > and what do these abbreviations mean? and what are the
    > > > normal ranges
    for
    > > > these measurements? please--
    > > >
    > > > from the 2-D measurements list: RVd

    Right ventricle during diastole.

    > > > IVSd

    Interventricular septum during diastole.

    > > > IVSs

    Interventricular septum during systole.

    > > > LVd

    Left ventricle during diastole.

    > > > LVs

    Left ventricle during systole.

    > > > PWd

    Posterior wall (of LV) during diastole.

    > > > PWs

    Posterior wall (of LV) during systole.

    > > > Ao root

    Aortic root (typically during systole).

    > > > LA

    Left atrium.

    > > > from the aotic valve section Max. Vel

    Maximum velocity.

    > > > Max. PG

    Maximum peak gradient.

    > > > from the mitral valve section Peak E

    peak early mitral inflow

    > > > Peak A

    peak late mitral inflow (during atrial contraction).

    > > > E/A

    ratio of E to A.

    > > > thank you,

    Praises to God, Kate.

    > > > kate
    > >
    > > Echocardiogram studies are more than just the
    > > measurements, Kate.
    > >
    > > i understand that, Andrew--- from a velocity,
    > > reguritation, function, effusion, enlargement,
    > > cardiomyopathy and insufficiency standpoint; and
    > that
    > > they cannot determine if or when a heart attack has
    > > occurred.
    >
    > One can make an educated guess by the way the heart looks
    > in the area of
    the

  9. d'huit wrote:

    > i appreciate your time, effort and energies in response to
    > my request, Andrew. this was most helpful to me.

    May God receive all praises :)

    > one last request, if you would be inclined and as kind as
    > you have already been. what do these suffixes/additions
    > to the millimeter abreviations mean?
    >
    > mm/s

    millimeters per second (a unit measure of blood flow
    velocity)..

    > mm/S

    millimeters per second (same as above).

    > mmHg

    millimeters of mercury (a unit measure of pressure).

    Andrew