Help with dust seal, or diagram of old Shimano parts

Michael

Guest
Shimano has exploded diagrams of their components on their website, but they're presumably just this
year's models. I've been having trouble finding the right dust seal for a 1992 Deore LX rear hub,
and an exploded diagram of that hub might help the local bike shops figure it out. Is there any such
archive on the web? Anyone have an old Shimano catalog from about 1992?

The dust seal is metal, sort of a u-shape that goes between the cone and the inner diameter of the
hub, on the non-drive side (obviously it's a circle; it's u-shaped in cross section; the open part
of the U faces into the hub). I managed to bend it out-of-round while repacking the hub. Now I know
why all other hubs use rubber dust seals...

TIA

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shimano has exploded diagrams of their components on their website, but they're presumably just
> this year's models. I've been having trouble finding the right dust seal for a 1992 Deore LX rear
> hub, and an exploded diagram of that hub might help the local bike shops figure it out. Is there
> any such archive on the web? Anyone have an old Shimano catalog from about 1992?
>
> The dust seal is metal, sort of a u-shape that goes between the cone and the inner diameter of the
> hub, on the non-drive side (obviously it's a circle; it's u-shaped in cross section; the open part
> of the U faces into the hub). I managed to bend it out-of-round while repacking the hub. Now I
> know why all other hubs use rubber dust seals...

We have an aftermarket seal for the cassette bodies of that series. It's a flat washer with a thin
lip at the outside and a rubber lip seal over the cone contact area. Cheap and commonly available at
any competent LBS which services bicycles. ( The originals cannot be removed by a human still
intact, as far as I can tell.)

> We have an aftermarket seal for the cassette bodies of that series. It's a flat washer with a thin
> lip at the outside and a rubber lip seal over the cone contact area. Cheap and commonly available
> at any competent LBS which services bicycles. ( The originals cannot be removed by a human still
> intact, as far as I can tell.)

I believe you're talking about the drive-side dust seal. Loose screws has these
(http://tinyurl.com/em1r) but I need the non-drive side seal.

> I have a Shimano small parts catalog that has hubs to 1993. What is the hub model #? Perhaps I
> can help.

I don't know the hub model number. Is there any way I can figure it out?

diy bike cable/luber in bike .tech has a brief explanation on using poly h20 gallon jug shims under
dustcaps to allow mounting dissimilar id covers on your cone/axle.try the chain guard $2

> > I have a Shimano small parts catalog that has hubs to 1993. What is the hub model #? Perhaps I
> > can help.

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't know the hub model number. Is there any way I can figure it out?

There should be a number on the hubshell, f'rinstance FH-M650. Once we know what you have, finding
the part is easy.

> > > I have a Shimano small parts catalog that has hubs to 1993. What is the hub model #? Perhaps I
> > > can help.
> There should be a number on the hubshell, f'rinstance FH-M650. Once we know what you have, finding
> the part is easy.

FH-M550

> There should be a number on the hubshell, f'rinstance FH-M650. Once we know what you have, finding
> the part is easy.

Ok, Scic (other poster) was nice enough to send me a scan of the Shimano diagram. The part I need is
a Left Hand Dust Cap, model #248
0500. It also seems to indicate I could use the same part from models FH-M660 and FH-M452-QR.

My LBS (well, a Performance store, which streches the "L" of LBS...) said they wouldn't be able to
get the part because the hub's so old
(501). Loose screws doesn't seem to offer one.

Any other ideas?