Help with First Build: component questions

alw041

Jul 6, 2007
Like the title says, I am working on my first bike build.
I am going to start off with the components. I want to go with Shimano 105, Ultegra, and/or maybe Dura Ace. I was wondering how interchangable the components are with each level.

Also I live in a area that is almost nothing but rolling hills, so i was wondering if i should go with a double, triple, compact double crank. What kind of cassettes? 9 speed or 10 speed?

Any advice/help would be amazing. Thanks

alw041 said:
I am going to start off with the components. I want to go with Shimano 105, Ultegra, and/or maybe Dura Ace. I was wondering how interchangable the components are with each level.

Also I live in a area that is almost nothing but rolling hills, so i was wondering if i should go with a double, triple, compact double crank. What kind of cassettes? 9 speed or 10 speed?

At a given number of speeds, all are interchangeable except that DA hubs only take 10s cassettes. 105 is good enough for all but the most rigorous of uses (i.e. pro level racing). Ultegra is very nice as well, but the value is in the 105 group.

As far as double vs. triple vs. compact. Compact is pretty versatile and would probably meet your needs at both the high and low gearing end. By rolling hills, I assume you mean no major long climbs. If you have bad knees or are going to carry loads, then a triple would help on the lower end. If you are a particularly strong rider, then the compact may make you do more front back and forth shifting than you might like, and in that case a 53/39 double might be better.

alw041 said:

Those are questions that only you can really answer.

Your budget will drive your component selection. Within the Shimano line you can pretty much mix and match except for the hyper expensive Dura Ace stuff.

Your fitness level and the local terrain will determine the gearing that you'll want. Don't get too wrapped up in it - if it turns out to be wrong for you, you can always change it again.

try sheldonbrown.com , see chain line. obviously things like drop out length must be right.