Help with first time rollers

salide

Feb 23, 2005
I just bought my first set of rollers off of ebay.
Got them out of the box this evening and Im a little frustrated.
I cant get the front roller to spin. What am I doing wrong?
More grease? Tire pressure? Placement of front roller? Ugh! Please help!
They are of the brand name, Tracx, eco track, to be exact. Seller said they were about 4 to 5 years old. I hear most people have their rollers for 10 to 20 years. Please dont tell me I got screwed on ebay, there's got to be something Im doing wrong.

Salide

Not to ask the most obvious of questions but is the belt attached connecting the rear drum to the front?

NW

Yes it is, is it possible that I need a new belt or even a second belt?

NRW77 said:
Not to ask the most obvious of questions but is the belt attached connecting the rear drum to the front?

NW

No, if the belt is connected, and snug, and in the groove on the rollers you shouldn't need another belt. Does the roller spin by hand? Did you tighten something too tight? I wouldn't try the bike on there until you get it fixed.

Yes, it spins by hand, it even spins if I put the bike on the rollers and turn the pedals by hand. Its only until I actually get on the bike when the roller wont spin. The back rollers spin fine, but the front wont. Im in a big hurry to get this thing working as I have a century to ride April 23rd.
Does it matter if its on carpet or hardwood floor?

Dr.Hairybiker said:
No, if the belt is connected, and snug, and in the groove on the rollers you shouldn't need another belt. Does the roller spin by hand? Did you tighten something too tight? I wouldn't try the bike on there until you get it fixed.

salide said:
Yes, it spins by hand, it even spins if I put the bike on the rollers and turn the pedals by hand. Its only until I actually get on the bike when the roller wont spin. The back rollers spin fine, but the front wont.
In that case the belt must be slipping for some reason. Check if the rollers rotate smoothly by hand even if you put some weight onto them. If that seems OK then try to tighten the belt, maybe by moving the rollers farther apart. If that can't be done, go to a good automotive store and look for a non-slip belt spray.

Your front wheel axle should be just barely behind the centerline/axle of the front roller. Almost right on top of it, just barely behind.