Help with GPS advice

beltabout

May 31, 2005
Does anyone have any experience using GPS systems on their bikes?

I have been looking at some of the systems available but am not sure if they are worth the bother, I can read a map and use a compass, but I am a man and would prefer not too so inevitably I get lost, well more topographically challenge than lost. You know should have stopped 20 minutes ago and checked but instinct knew better and I followed my instinct and now on the bank of the gorge should I turn left or right for the nearest bridge?

I guess you get the picture!

So will a Garmin help me?

Are they worth the hassle?

As I am in the UK should I buy a cheep one from the US or should I spend more money and get a European one?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Nick

beltabout said:
Does anyone have any experience using GPS systems on their bikes?

I have been looking at some of the systems available but am not sure if they are worth the bother, I can read a map and use a compass, but I am a man and would prefer not too so inevitably I get lost, well more topographically challenge than lost. You know should have stopped 20 minutes ago and checked but instinct knew better and I followed my instinct and now on the bank of the gorge should I turn left or right for the nearest bridge?

I guess you get the picture!

So will a Garmin help me?

Are they worth the hassle?

As I am in the UK should I buy a cheep one from the US or should I spend more money and get a European one?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Nick
I'm no expert, but here is my experience from this side of the pond. : Many people use GPSs. The cheap ones just give you long and lats, so they are of limited use to bikers.

The more expensive ones, used by motorists and sailors show a map, as well as your position on the map. You can plot weighpoints or just let the machine choose a route. The also can tell your speed, but just 'as the bird flies' as they don't recognise hills and valleys.

The latter is of limited use for most touring cyclists unless you wish to take the most direct route and that might include what we call superhighways. You might call them dual carriageways or M highways.

My dream for touring would be to buy one of those GPSs and then load OS or similar detailed maps from Sustrans, then plot my own route. It still might be rather time consuming.

Bottom line: I'd wait and see if a specialty product for bikes breaks through the gap.

stokell said:
My dream for touring would be to buy one of those GPSs and then load OS or similar detailed maps from Sustrans, then plot my own route. It still might be rather time consuming.

Thanks for that we have the system of your dreams here, a GPS enabled palm computer with the system called memory map works on our 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 map systems.

It would work for me too only I'm tight (from Yorkshire) and I wanted a cheap short cut that will find the car when I am beyond the point of enjoyment, and the pub when dying of thirst.

Cheers

Nick

beltabout said:
It would work for me too only I'm tight (from Yorkshire) and I wanted a cheap short cut that will find the car when I am beyond the point of enjoyment, and the pub when dying of thirst.

Cheers

Nick
I was born in Scarborough so I know what you mean. If this dream machine takes OS charts, it will help you find a pub as they are marked on the Landranger series. It doesn't tell you however if the Real Ale is up to nick or whether the place is tight with lager louts.

I live in hope.

OS map the works, I bet if i asked some old real ale drinker has added loads of points of interest, beware Morris men with bells.

Nick