Help with Hardtail Frame Choice

Meek One

May 5, 2004
Hi All,

I have a nice old full Shimano XTR 952 Group on my old '98 C-dale F series. I am tired of screwing with the Fatty fork. Can you please give me some hardtail ideas that will be stiff and V-Brake compatable hopefully without disc-tabs (save weight)? Thanks.

FWIW Just noticed this was my 500th post!

Meek One said:
I have a nice old full Shimano XTR 952 Group on my old '98 C-dale F series. I am tired of screwing with the Fatty fork. Can you please give me some hardtail ideas that will be stiff and V-Brake compatable hopefully without disc-tabs (save weight)?
If you 'love' your Cannondale frame & your FIRST PREFERENCE would be to keep it then you should be able to get headtube reducers which will allow you to use a standard 1 1/8" headset + "regular" suspension fork.

PROBLEM SOLVERS makes "reducers" for various applications ... typical cost is about $40, but that's less than the cost of a new frame.

CAMBRIA BIKE sells the headtube reducers for less than they would probably cost through your LBS (~$25).

I don't want to underestimate the importance of the frame and/or its material in a hardtail MTB, but you should simply let your pocketbook & frame material preference be your guide ...

If you do opt for a new frame BUT you don't want disc tabs, then you'll probably want to look for an "older"/discontinued-old-stock frame ... the trade-off is that it probably won't have a replaceable dropout derailleur hanger -- the weight savings by not having disc brake mounts is probably minimal in the grand scheme of things.

FWIW. I recommend MARZOCCHI suspension forks.