Help with installing pedals

azdvl97

Apr 8, 2007
hi,

I recently purchased some clipless pedals, and i'm having a hard time taking off one of the old pedals.

The right pedal came out without any major issues, however, the left one is proving to be very cumbersome.

I finally got it to "crack", but now, i keep turning it with the wrench and it won't come out. Any solutions here? I noticed that the washer is pretty much moving with the wrench, so i'm wondering if this is a rust issue? perhaps a little WD-40? The thing is, the other pedal, i just turned it with the wrench a few times and it pretty much just popped out.

Please help if you can. I'd hate to pay like 25 bucks to a shop to have them install it!

Thanks.

azdvl97 said:
hi,

I recently purchased some clipless pedals, and i'm having a hard time taking off one of the old pedals.

The right pedal came out without any major issues, however, the left one is proving to be very cumbersome.

I finally got it to "crack", but now, i keep turning it with the wrench and it won't come out. Any solutions here? I noticed that the washer is pretty much moving with the wrench, so i'm wondering if this is a rust issue? perhaps a little WD-40? The thing is, the other pedal, i just turned it with the wrench a few times and it pretty much just popped out.

Please help if you can. I'd hate to pay like 25 bucks to a shop to have them install it!

Thanks.
Turn pedal wrench clock-wise to remove left pedal.
If its a leverage issue, position the cranks to aid you in the leverage issue.
Yes, the left pedal has Left-Hand-Thread.

azdvl97 said:
hi,

Thanks.
I hate to ask this, but first off you are aware that the left hand pedal has left-handed threads, aren't you?

see:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=83

azdvl97 said:
i think i broke the thread :(

well, guess i'll just have to buy a new one...carbon fiber then :)

always lookin for a positive! hahaha
It may well turn out that the threads were stripped on the crank arm, and not on the pedal. So you may need to replace the crank arm on that side.

In the automotive world, this sort of thing happens sometimes with spark plugs in aluminum alloy cylinder heads (the threads get stripped in the head). The solution in that case is to use something called a helicoil to put some more metal into the damaged thread area, and then to tap a new set of threads. In some cases, the threads are only partially damaged, and simply re-tapping them is sufficient (without needing a helicoil).

What I don't know is whether helicoils that are sized for pedal threads are available, and if this is a standard or semi-standard repair job for bike shops.

rschleicher said:
It may well turn out that the threads were stripped on the crank arm, and not on the pedal. So you may need to replace the crank arm on that side.

In the automotive world, this sort of thing happens sometimes with spark plugs in aluminum alloy cylinder heads (the threads get stripped in the head). The solution in that case is to use something called a helicoil to put some more metal into the damaged thread area, and then to tap a new set of threads. In some cases, the threads are only partially damaged, and simply re-tapping them is sufficient (without needing a helicoil).

What I don't know is whether helicoils that are sized for pedal threads are available, and if this is a standard or semi-standard repair job for bike shops.
There are helicoils available for pedal threads, but you may not want to use them if you really jam on the bike. I would hate to have a pedal come off when I'm flying.

kdelong said:
There are helicoils available for pedal threads, but you may not want to use them if you really jam on the bike. I would hate to have a pedal come off when I'm flying.
That happened to a guy on the Sydney Harbour Bridge this morning, in fact. Massive amounts of blood on the pavement, and a trip to the hospital by ambulance. :eek:

azdvl97 said:
i think i broke the thread :(

well, guess i'll just have to buy a new one...carbon fiber then :)

always lookin for a positive! hahaha
That's the spirit! Unfortunately behind every-great bike mechanic there's probably a closet of busted parts (that they don't admit to). One piece of advise though is get a good pedal wrench. I was using a Trek one that did nothing but strip the soft stainless spindle of my Speedplays. I switched to a Park model and it never slips.