Help with leg pain SWB-P38

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Roy Dale, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Roy Dale

    Roy Dale Guest

    I have a total of 100 miles in the last 9 days trying to get
    use to swb-p38 . i have eggbeater pedals. My pain comes
    after about 30 min. to the lower outside of both calf
    muscles. They become so fatigued that I can hardly keep
    going. i can figure out waht it is. I thought that maybe i
    am extending my foot(pointing my toes) to much. Anyone have
    any suggestions?

    Tags:

  2. Wolverbob

    Wolverbob Guest

    Are you new to recumbents, or new to high bottom-bracket
    recumbents?

    Bob Krzewinski (P-38 owner)

  3. Dan Burkhart

    Dan Burkhart New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003
    Although I prefer clipless pedals, I find that keeping my feet so ridgidly confined for long periods of pedaling causes all kinds of pains in all the moving parts of my lower body. I now use a combination pedal, clipless on one side, platform on the other. That way, when I start to feel discomfort from being clipped in, I can dissengage and turn the pedal around.
    The first road trip I did with a recumbent ( 800 km, 10 days) I used only clipless, and I learned that lesson the hard way. I guess at the age of 50, I am finally learning to listen to what my body is telling me, and make the neccesary adjustments.

  4. Roy Dale

    Roy Dale Guest

    Dan Burkhart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Roy Dale wrote:
    > > I have a total of 100 miles in the last 9 days trying
    > > to get use to swb-
    > > p38 . i have eggbeater pedals. My pain comes after
    > > about 30 min. to the lower outside of both calf
    > > muscles. They become so fatigued that I can
    > > hardly keep going. i can figure out waht it is.
    > > I thought that maybe i am extending my
    > > foot(pointing my toes) to much. Anyone have any
    > > suggestions?
    >

    > Although I prefer clipless pedals, I find that keeping
    > my feet so ridgidly confined for long periods of
    > pedaling causes all kinds of pains in all the moving
    > parts of my lower body. I now use a combination pedal,
    > clipless on one side, platform on the other. That way,
    > when I start to feel discomfort from being clipped in, I
    > can dissengage and turn the pedal around. The first road
    > trip I did with a recumbent ( 800 km, 10 days) I used
    > only clipless, and I learned that lesson the hard way. I
    > guess at the age of 50, I am finally learning to listen
    > to what my body is telling me, and make the neccesary
    > adjustments.
    >

    > --

    What kind of pedals and where do you get them at that would
    have that kind of setup? I am new to the high bottm bracket
    but some days there is no pain in the calf but the last 2 or
    3 rides it has become a factor as to how far i can go.

  5. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I have a total of 100 miles in the last 9 days trying to
    > get use to swb-p38 . i have eggbeater pedals. My pain
    > comes after about 30 min. to the lower outside of both
    > calf muscles. They become so fatigued that I can hardly
    > keep going. i can figure out waht it is. I thought that
    > maybe i am extending my foot(pointing my toes) to much.
    > Anyone have any suggestions?

    "Lower Outside of both calf muscles" Sounds like over
    training If the pain is persistent over 24 hours. I would
    suggest that there might be other problems. It could be that
    you might need to work up your distances more slowly. Have
    you tried Ibuprofen? What you are describing sounds like an
    inflammation of the sheath covering the lower calf muscles.

    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowe-
    rleg/inflamtibtensheath.htm

    I know some people that take Ibuprofen before a century to
    avoid problems like this.

    If you were having pedal/seat distance problems or cleat
    adjustment problems, I would expect the pain to be in front
    or behind the knees. Eggbeaters are pretty tolerant of a
    variety of cleat positions and are not so likely to induce
    knee pain like SPDs or some other pedals.
    --

    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
    http://www.clee.org

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (roy dale) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > What kind of pedals and where do you get them at that
    > would have that kind of setup? I am new to the high bottm
    > bracket but some days there is no pain in the calf but
    > the last 2 or 3 rides it has become a factor as to how
    > far i can go.

    Shimano PD-M324, for one:
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=PD6432
    These are available from bike shops anywhere. There's a
    version made by Wellgo, too. My wife has these on her Tour
    Easy- they're very nice for the days she rides to work.

    It may be that the rotational adjustment on the cleats is
    not correct. If you feel pressure on either side of your
    heel while you're pedaling, something's amiss. Your feet
    should hang naturally in the back of your shoe.

    You might want to find a bike shop that uses the Fit Kit
    system. They have a device that will show you which way and
    how far to move the cleat. It's called the Rotational
    Adjustment Device:
    http://www.bikefitkit.com/fit_kit/rad_kit.html In fact, a
    complete professional fitting would be a good thing, IMO.

    Not many professional fitters know recumbents, but the
    adjustments aren't *that* different. If you were near
    Portland, I'd tell you to talk to Micheal Sylvester at the
    Bike Gallery. He *trains* people in bike fitting and he's
    done recumbents in the past. Here's a couple articles: http-
    ://www.cyclingsite.com/collected_wisdom/what_to_take/bikes/-
    bike_fits.htm
    http://www.planetultra.com/maynard/likeadork.html

    I rode a P-38 for 12 years before switching to a Tour Easy
    (partly to keep my wife company) and I *rarely* had pain
    like you describe. Usually it was after getting new shoes
    or installing new cleats. Readjustment allowed me to ride
    pain-free.

    Jeff