Help with making workplace changes

1id10t

Apr 11, 2005
Hi
I've been cycling to work for several months now and lock my bike in the carpark to whatever immovable object is available (generally a pole attached to the chainlink fence). I've decided though that this is no longer acceptable and wish to petition the company to provide proper bike facilities. This is a large financial organisation who already spends plenty of money on constantly refurbishing floors and updating IT equipment.
Anyway, i've downloaded a number of good articles from the RTA site and the City of Sydney site advocating commuting by bike but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions, experience or links to other sites which could help me get started.
I am in the process of typing a questionnaire and 'bike advocacy' document which I intend on attaching to the bikes already parked in the carpark. I was also thinking of placing them under the windshield wiper of cars as I believe this affects them also (most of the places to which a bike can be locked are in extremely close proximity to the vehicles that damage could occur to either bike or car).
Anyway, hope someone has some useful advice. :)

Ideally, you would have access to lockable bike cages so that you don't have to worry about computers, lights, seats, wheels etc.
You need a hot shower. A clothes dryer or at least a washing line would be great. Somewhere to hang clothes. An iron and ironing board would make a big difference.
I don't have access to all these things at work at the moment, but that is my wish list.
I don't want to be too negative but I would be surprised if your fossil-fuel burning colleagues get very interested in your plight... :rolleyes:

artemidorus said:
Ideally, you would have access to lockable bike cages so that you don't have to worry about computers, lights, seats, wheels etc.
You need a hot shower. A clothes dryer or at least a washing line would be great. Somewhere to hang clothes. An iron and ironing board would make a big difference.
I don't have access to all these things at work at the moment, but that is my wish list.
I don't want to be too negative but I would be surprised if your fossil-fuel burning colleagues get very interested in your plight... :rolleyes:

While you are making ambit claims, a towel service with fresh fluffy towels for cyclists!

We have a locker room, which requires an access pass to get into. It has bike racks and lockers (pick one, but provide your own padlock), and the showers, in addition to needing an access pass to get into the locker room, need a key. There are also plenty of places to hang a hanger for my towel etc. Can't really complain about that! :D

artemidorus said:
Hi artemidorus

Thanks for the reply and also to the others who replied.
I guess what i'm looking for is information I can take to the company to show why commuting to work is beneficial to them and to the employees. I don't want to just walk in there and say we want bike racks. I believe I would need to demonstrate why they should spend the money to install such facilities in the first place. Reasons for involving the drivers was that I thought it would benefit them as they would not have the concern of cyclists scratching their vehicles when trying to squeeze between the cars (or in my case at times, lifting my bike above my head as it was too narrow a passage for the handlebars). Also, they would be able to reverse further into the carspace without the worry of reversing into a bike parked behind them. By their inclusion I was hoping it would show that I was not solely concerned with the interests of cyclists. Without asking the drivers I wouldn't know how they felt about people parking their bikes so close to their cars.
As mentioned, I downloaded some pdfs which will be a little useful, one of which is produced by the RTA and provides reasons to employers as to why they should encourage commuting by bike. Their reasons include the 'green' aspect, health benefits, that workers are generally more productive, happier etc than their motorist and public transport counterparts.
There was an article I saw either in a bicycle magazine or perhaps online regarding a persons successful attempt at getting their workplace to install facilities but I can't seem to locate the story. I believe this was in South Australia. I was hoping to find the same success.
On a final note, several weeks ago, the company sent an email to all staff regarding 'health week.' This included links to health sites, calorie calculators etc. They have always engaged in sporting activites and encourage the staff to participate in fun runs, lunchtime sport activities etc. I was hoping to use this also as a basis for why they should also encourage cycling and, consequently, for providing the right facilities.

It also wouldn't hurt to suggest the possibility of positive PR for the company if they make changes to assist cyclists (and drivers). Most local rags are happy to be sent ready-made feel-good articles complete with smiley photos, so suggesting that you'd help to promote changes to the local media might help?

Car park space being so tight we have 2 or 3 car spaces fenced off @ cyclone fencing,this supplies 20 odd secure bike spaces! Maybe you could use this argument,you just need a number of cyclists.

Meeba said:
Car park space being so tight we have 2 or 3 car spaces fenced off @ cyclone fencing,this supplies 20 odd secure bike spaces! Maybe you could use this argument,you just need a number of cyclists.
Wow, it only takes three car spaces for that many bikes? I had a look around the carpark and saw a spot consisting of about 3 or 4 spaces which I thought would be ideal. It wasn't far from the gym showers either. I've yet to check out the gym to see if space for more lockers would be available. Thanks for the info Meeba :). Having only just started I hadn't checked to see what one car space amounted to in bike racks.

Thanks for the links guys. They're all highly informative. I really like the 'Cycle Friendly Workplace document but information from all links will be very useful to me.
I'll probably print many of these out as reference material.
Again, many thanks and will keep posted about progress. I expect it to be slow but should be worthwhile in the end.
Now, I need to get the other cyclists aware and on side. :)

1id10t said:
On a final note, several weeks ago, the company sent an email to all staff regarding 'health week.' This included links to health sites, calorie calculators etc. They have always engaged in sporting activites and encourage the staff to participate in fun runs, lunchtime sport activities etc. I was hoping to use this also as a basis for why they should also encourage cycling and, consequently, for providing the right facilities.
You are halfway there! Cycling could be just another aspect of the fun runs, lunchtime sport etc your company supports. You have an opportunity to get some support in return for company branding/advertising here. Even though we may 'only' be talking about commuters here, it sounds like you could convince the senior people to support a company cycling team - some company branded/logo cycling jerseys and shorts/knicks, company bidons etc. The logical extension is that decent facilities also be provided.

Be flexible too - you may have to pay a nominal amount for the jerseys, knicks etc but you could get some good support in return

SteveA

Good news!! It seems that bicycle racks are going to be installed...not from any urging from me though. Glad I asked around first. Not sure when it's going to happen but I have been assured by another cyclist with connections that the project will be going ahead. No lockers though but showers already exist. Woohoo!!!