Help with Marzocchi fork

specks

Aug 10, 2003
Hi, I just bought the pictured forks and am wondering if what the guy told me is true. Can I just use any stem to put them on my bike. They came as pictured, minus the bar that goes into the frame

You need a steer tube that is the correct length and diameter (1", 1 1/8", or 1 1/4") and depending on your headset it needs to be threaded or threadless.

Originally posted by specks
Hi, I just bought the pictured forks and am wondering if what the guy told me is true. Can I just use any stem to put them on my bike. They came as pictured, minus the bar that goes into the frame

You''ll need to get in touch with Marzochi for a steerer tube it is an early 90's fork 92 or 93 maybe-its been awhile. And it could be all the diameter sizes Revolution mentioned. You'll also need to come up with what steerer tube length you'll need. The height of the head tube on your frame plus a generous half inch for head set plus the height of your stem plus the height of your stack of spacers. Try to go threadless if you can-you will also need a threadless stem and headset.

You can also try your LBS, Ebay or cambriabike.com to locate a steerer tube. Depending on how the fork crown was made you might have a problem. Often the steerer tubes are wider at the bottom than the top and are pressed in with the use of a machine and you will need to get this done by Marzochi.

Why is it missing the steerer tube?

You might find it cheaper to buy a new or used Judy XC,SL performance would be comprable.

Ginzu gave you some good advice on what to get and on trying for a threadless steerer for it. That model has a bolt on steerer so it won't have to be pressed in. Every once in while ebay has them, but like he said you have to be careful with the diameter of the bottom of the steerer. It would certainly be easier to just buy another used fork than to locate the proper steerer for it. It may even be cheaper. Despite my undying loyalty to Marzocchi, I am not fond of that particular fork. The performance is pretty lame compared to forks from even 5 years ago and you can buy first generation Bombers on ebay for $40-$75. I wish you luck.

K.

Really appreciate the help guys. I have passed on the fork after advice from Marzocchi