Help WIth Mavic Ksyriums

CC

Guest
Hello all. I purchased a set of Ksyrium Elites last October from my
LBS. After about 60 miles, my rear wheel went out of true (3 spokes
loosened up). I took it back to my LBS and they trued it at the shop. I
out it back on, and it went out of true about 80 miles later.

This time my LBS sent it back to Mavic to have it checked out. Mavic
sent the wheel back (which I received back in January) and said the
wheel went of true because I "ride heavy" and charged my LBS for
shipping. Previously, I had a set of Bontrager's that held up fine. I
weigh 190 lbs and I am 6'2".

Frustrated, I let a friend try the wheels (he weighs 140 lbs), and
after 200 miles the rear is out of true again. I again returned to my
bike shop and was told that Mavic says there is nothing wrong with the
wheels and will not replace or refund them. My bike shop says the same
thing, and says I am at fault.

My next step is to contact Mavic directly (which will probably resolve
nothing) and then dispute it through my credit card company. I was told
by my LBS that if I dispute it through my credit card company, they are
out of the sale.

All in all this is extremely discouraging, and it seems that neither
Mavic of LBS have any concept of customer service. Has anyone had a
similar experience with Mavic, or can anyone offer any suggestions to
remedy this?

Thanks for the help.

In article <[email protected]>,
"CC" <[email protected]> wrote:

> All in all this is extremely discouraging, and it seems that neither
> Mavic of LBS have any concept of customer service. Has anyone had a
> similar experience with Mavic, or can anyone offer any suggestions to
> remedy this?

Learning how to true a wheel is no big deal. Do it.

--
*Help Animals, the Earth and Your Health! *
*Find out how:* www.VeganStarterPack.com <http://www.veganstarterpack.com/>

CC wrote:

> All in all this is extremely discouraging, and it seems that neither
> Mavic of LBS have any concept of customer service. Has anyone had a
> similar experience with Mavic, or can anyone offer any suggestions to
> remedy this?

Simple: have a good set of wheels built up by hand with 32 double
butted spokes. What do you need silly Kyseriums for? Wheels shouldn't
go out of true if they're built properly. I ride rough urban stuff,
100-200 miles per week on hand trued boring 32H wheels, weigh nearly as
much as you, and *never* have to true my wheels short of a 0.5 vanity
touch up if I'm boring during the winter.

landotter wrote:

> ... I ride rough urban stuff,
> 100-200 miles per week on hand trued boring 32H wheels, weigh nearly
> as much as you, and *never* have to true my wheels short of a 0.5
> vanity touch up if I'm boring during the winter.

I heard you're boring year-round! <eg>

Bill "too easy to pass up" S.

landotter wrote:

> Simple: have a good set of wheels built up by hand with 32 double
> butted spokes. What do you need silly Kyseriums for? Wheels shouldn't
> go out of true if they're built properly. I ride rough urban stuff,
> 100-200 miles per week on hand trued boring 32H wheels, weigh nearly as
> much as you, and *never* have to true my wheels short of a 0.5 vanity
> touch up if I'm boring during the winter.

Well that will work but there really does seem to be a problem with
these specific wheels. I weigh ~180 and ride light weight wheels and
currently have ~5000 miles without any tendency to go out of true.
While I don't do much rough urban riding I do ride through (too many)
potholes, hit small rocks and while it has caused many flats the
wheels themselves have kept their integrity.

So, I think the OP has a legitimate complaint and to me the complaint
is with the folks who sold it -- the LBS. It is up to them to deal with
their supplier.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> landotter wrote:
>
> > ... I ride rough urban stuff,
> > 100-200 miles per week on hand trued boring 32H wheels, weigh nearly
> > as much as you, and *never* have to true my wheels short of a 0.5
> > vanity touch up if I'm boring during the winter.

> I heard you're boring year-round! <eg>
>
> Bill "too easy to pass up" S.

More like "exploit any opportunity to be an asshole".

FU

landotter wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> landotter wrote:
>>
>>> ... I ride rough urban stuff,
>>> 100-200 miles per week on hand trued boring 32H wheels, weigh nearly
>>> as much as you, and *never* have to true my wheels short of a 0.5
>>> vanity touch up if I'm boring during the winter.

>> I heard you're boring year-round! <eg>
>>
>> Bill "too easy to pass up" S.

> More like "exploit any opportunity to be an asshole".

> FU

Lighten up, Sally. Anyone else would have chuckled (you DID see what you
typed, right?).

Oy.

Bill Sornson wrote:

> Lighten up, Sally. Anyone else would have chuckled (you DID see what you
> typed, right?).

It's only not funny when you point it out. Nice initials, btw. ;-)

landotter wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:

>> terra rat wrote:

>>> "...if I'm boring during the winter"

I made a short quip about that silly little typo, which got a profane,
hateful reply. So I said...

>> Lighten up, Sally. Anyone else would have chuckled (you DID see
>> what you typed, right?).

So the rat posts (TWICE):

> It's only not funny when you point it out. Nice initials, btw. ;-)

Whatever you're trying to say, it wasn't any clearer the first time.

BS (dealing with it)

{shakes head as walks away}

CC <[email protected]> wrote:

> All in all this is extremely discouraging, and it seems that neither
> Mavic of LBS have any concept of customer service. Has anyone had a
> similar experience with Mavic, or can anyone offer any suggestions to
> remedy this?

Mavic in my experience does not make good wheels. The Ksyriums have
been dinged many times for exactly these sorts of problems in rb.tech.
I have had no luck getting warranty satisfaction from Mavic in the past,
and unfortunately I do not expect you to have any better luck.

My advice would be to get the wheels trued and eBay them or Craigslist
them to some other person. Then proceed to get a decent set of
handbuilt wheels. Something like:

36 spoke Ultegra hub
Double butted 14/15/14 spokes
Alex or Velocity rims

Make sure you go to someone who has a good rep for wheelbuilding. If
you post your location we might be able to recommend someone local,
otherwise you might be better using someone like Peter White.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Use an accordion. Go to jail.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > Bill Sornson wrote:

> I made a short quip about that silly little typo, which got a profane,
> hateful reply. So I said...
>

> >> Lighten up, Sally. Anyone else would have chuckled (you DID see
> >> what you typed, right?).

> So the rat posts (TWICE):
>
> > It's only not funny when you point it out. Nice initials, btw. ;-)

> Whatever you're trying to say, it wasn't any clearer the first time.
>
> BS (dealing with it)
>
> {shakes head as walks away}

May the door smack you on the ass. You reap what you sow, and I have no
time for smart aleck mass murderer supporting quippers.

> Anyone else would have chuckled

Nope.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Prize the doubt, low kinds exist without"
- Inscription at Ramsmeyer Hall, Ohio State University

Terra Rat wrote:

> May the door smack you on the ass. You reap what you sow, and I have
> no time for smart aleck mass murderer supporting quippers.

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that
Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons
stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also
given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaida
members." -- Hillary (on Senate floor)

While the ex-president (Bill Clinton) said that the Bush administration "may
have evidence I don't have," he made no mention of his administration's bin
Laden indictment, which stated in its fourth paragraph:

"Al Qaida reached an understanding with the government of Iraq that al Qaida
would not work against that government and that on particular projects,
specifically including weapons development, al Qaida would work
cooperatively with the Government of Iraq."

"Here is an ironic finding I brought back from Iraq. While U.S. public
opinion polls show serious declines in support for the war and increasing
pessimism about how it will end, polls conducted by Iraqis for Iraqi
universities show increasing optimism. Two-thirds say they are better off
than they were under Saddam, and a resounding 82% are confident their lives
in Iraq will be better a year from now than they are today. What a colossal
mistake it would be for America's bipartisan political leadership to choose
this moment in history to lose its will and, in the famous phrase, to seize
defeat from the jaws of the coming victory." -- Joe Lieberman 11/05 WSJ

"Funny, seems to me we're uncovering mass graves, not filling them" -- Me,
just now

Dane Buson wrote:
> CC <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > All in all this is extremely discouraging, and it seems that neither
> > Mavic of LBS have any concept of customer service. Has anyone had a
> > similar experience with Mavic, or can anyone offer any suggestions to
> > remedy this?

> Mavic in my experience does not make good wheels. The Ksyriums have
> been dinged many times for exactly these sorts of problems in rb.tech.
> I have had no luck getting warranty satisfaction from Mavic in the past,
> and unfortunately I do not expect you to have any better luck.
>
> My advice would be to get the wheels trued and eBay them or Craigslist
> them to some other person. Then proceed to get a decent set of
> handbuilt wheels. Something like:
>
> 36 spoke Ultegra hub
> Double butted 14/15/14 spokes
> Alex or Velocity rims
>
> Make sure you go to someone who has a good rep for wheelbuilding. If
> you post your location we might be able to recommend someone local,
> otherwise you might be better using someone like Peter White.
>
> --
> Dane Buson - [email protected]
> Use an accordion. Go to jail.
> -- KFOG, San Francisco

While I was waiting for my wheels (for the second time) I had a set of
wheels built by my new bike shop. They are King hubs, double butted 32
spoke, and Sun rims (I didn't even want a set of Mavic rims). The new
wheels are working great.

CC wrote:
> Hello all. I purchased a set of Ksyrium Elites last October from my
> LBS. After about 60 miles, my rear wheel went out of true (3 spokes
> loosened up). I took it back to my LBS and they trued it at the shop. I
> out it back on, and it went out of true about 80 miles later.
>
> This time my LBS sent it back to Mavic to have it checked out. Mavic
> sent the wheel back (which I received back in January) and said the
> wheel went of true because I "ride heavy" and charged my LBS for
> shipping. Previously, I had a set of Bontrager's that held up fine. I
> weigh 190 lbs and I am 6'2".

I have a feeling that there isn't anything wrong with the components of
the wheel. The competency of the wheel builder is in doubt. A skilled
wheel builder could fix these wheels in no time.

Kenny

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Funny, seems to me we're uncovering mass graves, not filling them" -- Me,
>just now

Bill, you silly goose. Don't you know that we'd rather that hundreds
of thousands of Iraqis were killed by their leadership than a few were
killed by our troops by mistake? Apparently that makes us
"humanitarians" or something (I'm not good at the "new logic").

Oh, and don't let the facts that Saddam did have WMDs, was rebuilding
his WMD production facilities, openly supported terrorists targeting
our allies, was in (now) well-documented discussions with Al Qaeda,
tried to assassinate an ex-US President (whew!) influence you either.
He was really a great guy.

;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Chris Neary <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Anyone else would have chuckled

>Nope.

I dunno - I thought it was pretty funny - obviously not a real dig -
just poking fun at a typo. I've given - and gotten - the same many
times before without angst.

But at any rate, I'd suggest that if something that inert can get
someone wound up tight, they should rethink the whole concept of
participating in newsgroups at all.

JMHO, YMMV.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

>I dunno - I thought it was pretty funny - obviously not a real dig -
>just poking fun at a typo. I've given - and gotten - the same many
>times before without angst.

Noted, but it doesn't make Bill any better at predicting what other people
think.

>But at any rate, I'd suggest that if something that inert can get
>someone wound up tight, they should rethink the whole concept of
>participating in newsgroups at all.

Noted, but irrelevant.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"It is not necessary to understand things in order
to argue about them" - Caron de Beaumarchais

Chris Neary <[email protected]> wrote:

>>I dunno - I thought it was pretty funny - obviously not a real dig -
>>just poking fun at a typo. I've given - and gotten - the same many
>>times before without angst.

>Noted, but it doesn't make Bill any better at predicting what other people
>think.

That's a pretty rare talent in these here parts...

>>But at any rate, I'd suggest that if something that inert can get
>>someone wound up tight, they should rethink the whole concept of
>>participating in newsgroups at all.

>Noted, but irrelevant.

I was just getting in my public service announcement for the day.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame