Help with Menu

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gigi, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Gigi

    Gigi Guest

    We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli Couscous,
    roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"Gigi" writes:
    >
    >We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    >baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli Couscous,
    >roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think?

    About what?

    Right now I'm thinking that Gigi is a nice name and if you're more than a C cup I'd like an
    invite... hey, you asked.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    > baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli
    > Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi

    Sounds good, though I find the couscous and the tenderloin a little incongruent. I would probably do
    something like a curried squash or something that would be a little more "like" the pork. But YMMV.

    --
    Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the ;) to send mail).

  4. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Gigi wrote:

    > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    > baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli
    > Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi

    I'm wondering where you are, how long it'd take me to get there, and what time's dinner?

    --
    Steve

  5. "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    > baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli
    > Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi

    Sounds absolutely delicious! What time did you say we should arrive? What is the method to roast the
    asparagus (just in case we can't make it...) Cheers Bronwyn Qld Oz

  6. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm
    thinking of serving
    : pear, gala apple, baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a
    roasted pork
    : tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli Couscous, roasted asparagus,
    and raspberry
    : parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi
    :
    : ========

    Yum!! Hey, if anyone can't make it - I'd love to take their place. Sounds wonderful!
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  7. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Gigi wrote:

    > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    > baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli
    > Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi

    What time do you want me there?

    ;-) gloria p

  8. Gigi wrote:
    > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    > baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli
    > Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think?

    Whenever a recipe calls for couscous, I substitute quinoa. I like the texture and flavor a little
    better, and I figure I get enough semolina in my diet from pasta. I like the nutritional variety.

    --Lia

  9. Gigi

    Gigi Guest

    "Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gigi wrote:
    >
    > > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of
    serving
    > > pear, gala apple, baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom
    > > and Israeli Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi
    > >

    > I'm wondering where you are, how long it'd take me to get there, and what time's dinner?
    >
    > --
    > Steve
    >
    > Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.
    Huntington Beach, CA, where are you? and Come at 6 dinner at 7 ;-) Gigi

  10. Gigi

    Gigi Guest

    "Bronwyn Ferrier Ms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of
    serving
    > > pear, gala apple, baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom
    > > and Israeli Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi
    >
    > Sounds absolutely delicious! What time did you say we should arrive? What is the method to roast
    > the asparagus (just in case we can't make it...) Cheers Bronwyn Qld Oz

    Roast in a 400ยบ oven for 10 minutes, or until tender, dress with salt, pepper, butter and balsamic
    vinegar. Gigi

  11. Gigi

    Gigi Guest

    "Nancy Howells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no
    > spam)@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    > > baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli
    > > Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi
    > >

    > Sounds good, though I find the couscous and the tenderloin a little incongruent. I would
    > probably do something like a curried squash or something that would be a little more "like" the
    > pork. But YMMV.
    >
    > --
    > Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the ;) to send mail).

    Thanks, Nancy for your suggestion. I just wanted some kind of starch to offset the salad and the
    asparagus. I like squash but I don't think I need another veggie/fruit. Gigi

  12. Gigi

    Gigi Guest

    "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s52...
    > Gigi wrote:
    > > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of
    serving
    > > pear, gala apple, baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom
    > > and Israeli Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think?
    >

    > Whenever a recipe calls for couscous, I substitute quinoa. I like the texture and flavor a little
    > better, and I figure I get enough semolina in my diet from pasta. I like the nutritional variety.
    >
    > --Lia
    I've never cooked with quinoa although I have a box in the cupboard. Would I use it the same way as
    I use couscous? My couscous recipe calls for mushrooms cooked in olive oil, minced onion, and
    chicken stock. Gigi

  13. Gigi wrote:

    > I've never cooked with quinoa although I have a box in the cupboard. Would I use it the same way
    > as I use couscous? My couscous recipe calls for mushrooms cooked in olive oil, minced onion, and
    > chicken stock. Gigi

    Basically yes. Assuming your couscous recipe call for you to cook the couscous separately and then
    add the cooked couscous to the other ingredients, you substitute by cooking the quinoa separately,
    then adding to the other ingredients.

    To make couscous, rinse dry couscous in a strainer to remove dust. Measure 3 parts water (by volume)
    into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Then add 1 part quinoa. Bring back to a boil (takes less than a
    minute). Lower the heat to a simmer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Take
    a peek. Is the water all absorbed? If so, take off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes before
    fluffing with a fork. If not, simmer longer until the water is absorbed.

    If your couscous recipe calls for you to cook the couscous in chicken stock, use chicken stock
    instead of water in above.

    --Lia

  14. "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of
    serving
    > pear, gala apple, baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom
    > and Israeli Couscous, roasted asparagus, and
    raspberry
    > parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi

    Sounds like shit. Do you have a Quiznos in your neighborhood?

  15. "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    > baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli
    > Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi

    I think I'd like to be there! Sounds delicious.

    Wayne

  16. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:S%[email protected]...

    > "Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > Gigi wrote:
    > >
    > > > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of
    > serving
    > > > pear, gala apple, baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted
    pork
    > > > tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli Couscous, roasted asparagus, and
    raspberry
    > > > parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi
    > > >

    > > I'm wondering where you are, how long it'd take me to get there, and what time's dinner?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.
    > Huntington Beach, CA, where are you? and Come at 6 dinner at 7 ;-) Gigi

    You're in H.B.?? Where? God, I haven't been there in 10 years. Used to live off Beach & Garfield. &
    worked at a bar called FUBARS (Beach & Talbert) and another called SUDS (Gothard & Heil) - right
    next to GoldenWest College. I miss my H.B. days!

    kilikini

  17. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Gigi wrote:
    > "Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >
    >>Gigi wrote:
    >>

    >>>We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of
    >
    > serving
    >
    >>>pear, gala apple, baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom
    >>>and Israeli Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think? Gigi
    >>>

    >>I'm wondering where you are, how long it'd take me to get there, and what time's dinner?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Steve
    >>
    >>Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.
    >
    > Huntington Beach, CA, where are you? and Come at 6 dinner at 7 ;-) Gigi

    Dang it. That'd be quite a dinner trip from New York. :-(

    Good luck, although it doesn't sound to me as if you'll need it. Let us know how it goes over.

  18. Barry Grau

    Barry Grau Guest

    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s52>...
    > Gigi wrote:
    > > We're having first time guests for dinner tomorrow and I'm thinking of serving pear, gala apple,
    > > baby greens and Maytag blue cheese salad, a roasted pork tenderloin, Mushroom and Israeli
    > > Couscous, roasted asparagus, and raspberry parfaits. What do you all think?
    >

    > Whenever a recipe calls for couscous, I substitute quinoa. I like the texture and flavor a little
    > better, and I figure I get enough semolina in my diet from pasta. I like the nutritional variety.
    >
    > --Lia

    You may already know this, but Israeli couscous isn't your usual couscous. When cooked they are
    roughly .25-inch spheres. OT: Sphere is Thelonius Monk's middle name.

    -bwg